No announcement yet.

*Official* In Memoriam Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• James Michael Tyler, best known for playing Gunther on "Friends," died of cancer at age 59. RIP.

Jay Black, lead singer of Jay & the Americans, died at age 82. RIP.

Comment

• Pat Martino, long-time jazz guitarist, died on 11/1/21 at age 77. He received 2 grammy nominations, both amazingly after suffering amnesia and forgetting completely how to play the guitar and everything about his career. RIP..

Comment

• Terence Wilson, founding member of UB40, better known by his stage name Astro, died at age 64. RIP.

Ronnie Wilson (no relation to Terence), founding member of The Gap Band, died at age 73. RIP.
        “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Longtime actor Dean Stockwell, best known as the star of NBC's "Quantum Leap," died at age 85. RIP.

Sen. Max Cleland of Georgia, a Vietnam vet who lost three limbs in a grenade attack only to later be assailed by Republicans as "unpatriotic" died at age 79. RIP.

Comment

• Art LaFleur, the actor who played Chick Gandil in "Field of Dreams" and Babe Ruth in "The Sandlot" has died at the age of 78. RIP.

Last edited by madducks; 11-21-2021, 11:44 PM.
            “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Broadway legend Stephen Sondheim died at age 91. RIP.

Comment

• Eddie Mekka, who played Carmine "The Big Ragu" Ragusa on Laverne & Shirley, died at age 69. RIP.

Comment

• 2021 Kentucky Derby winner Medina Spirit died of a heart attack after a workout this morning at Santa Anita. RIP champ.

Comment

• Just now finding this out but long-time jazz pianist, vocalist and composer Dave Frishberg died on Nov 17th at the age of 88. He was nominated 4 times for Grammys for best jazz vocalist. He wrote many songs that have been recorded by many jazz musicians, including one called "Van Lingle Mungo", which was a tribute to baseball players that played when he was growing up in the '30s and 40's, including the guy the song is named for, a pitcher for the Dodgers and Giants. He also wrote one called "Matty", a tribute to Christy Mathewson. I'm glad I got the chance to see him perform once in DC. RIP.

Edit: For those interested, here is an interesting interview of him by SABR (which he was a member of) that briefly details his life and his interest in jazz and baseball: https://sabr.org/bioproj/person/dave-frishberg/
                    Last edited by rhd; 12-07-2021, 01:09 AM.

Comment

• Legendary Indy Car driver Al Unser, who won the Indianapolis 500 four times, died at age 82. RIP.

Comment

• Michael Nesmith, a founding member of The Monkees, died at age 78. RIP.

Comment

• Author Anne Rice has died at the age of 80 from complications from a stroke. RIP. She was so good that A huge chunk of my friends in high school actually read Interview with the Vampire just for fun.

Comment

• Vincente Fernandez, King of Ranchera died at 81.
                            If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                            Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Human rights leader, bishop Desmond Tutu, died today. His efforts were instrumental in helping to end apartheid in South Africa. After the fall of apartheid, he continued to campaign for justice and human rights, including gay rights, in other countries as well as in South Africa. He received many international awards, including the Nobel Peace Prize in 1984. He was a true voice for non-violence, tolerance and human rights around the world. His cause of death was listed as prostate cancer which had plagued him for many years. He was 90 y/o. RIP

Comment

• Richard Marcinko, the 1st leader of the Navy's SEAL Team Six during Vietnam who then became the best-selling author of the "Rogue Warrior" series, died at age 80. RIP.

Jean-Marc Vallee, director & producer of "Dallas Buyer's Club" and HBO's "Big Little Lies", died at age 58. RIP.

Corporal Kirchner (real name Michael Penzel), a WWF wrestler who was a knockoff of Sgt Slaughter after he left the federation, died at age 64. RIP.

Comment

Working...
                                X