No announcement yet.

*Official* In Memoriam Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grammy winning singer James Ingram died from brain cancer at age 66. RIP.

Comment

• Legendary wrestler Pedro Morales, who was a "Triple Crown" champion (WWF Title, WWF Intercontinental Title, and the WWF Tag Team Title), died at age 76. RIP.

Comment

• Bassist Peter Tork of The Monkees died of undisclosed causes at age 77. Damn, RIP.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
          Bassist Peter Tork of The Monkees died of undisclosed causes at age 77. Damn, RIP.
          I can't explain it. This one hit me hard this morning. Loved the Monkees as a kid and still break out their music from time to time. Today sounds like a good day to do that.
          “There’s no normal life, Wyatt, it’s just life. Get on with it.” – Doc Holliday

"It doesn't matter what you think" - The Rock

"I borked the entry." - Some dude on the Internet

Have I told you about otters being the only marine animal that can lift rocks?

Comment

• Mark Hollis, lead singer of Talk Talk, has died at age 64. RIP.

Comment

Mark Hollis, lead singer of Talk Talk, has died at age 64. RIP.
              Bummer. For casual fans who only know It's My Life, check out Talk Talk's entire catalog. They evolved artistically to the end, and never made a bad record.
              "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
              "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
              "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• I saw that Katherine Helmond passed away recently. Made me think of Soap back in the 70's. It would be interesting to see how well that show has aged ... it was groundbreaking in its day.

edit for those who aren't familiar with the show, here's a great section from its wikipedia page ... remember this is from the 70's ...

Aside from the external protests, Soap was also subject to heavy internal revisions from ABC's Broadcast Standards & Practices department, which monitors the content of programs. Writer/creator Susan Harris had developed a story arc for Soap in the form of a "show bible" which traced all the major characters, stories and events for five seasons. The Standards & Practices executives (commonly referred to as "censors") reviewed this extensive bible as well as the script for the two-part pilot and issued a long memo to Harris voicing their concerns about various story lines and characters. In addition to the sexual material that was widely reported in the press, the censors also took issue with the show's religious, political, and ethnic content.[17]

"The Soap Memo" was leaked to the press before the show premiered and was printed in its entirety in the Los Angeles Times on June 27, 1977. Among their notes were:

"Please delete [the lines] '...the slut', 'that Polish slut,' 'get your clothes off,' 'it doesn't grow back,' 'transsexual,' 'Oh my God,' 'did it hurt?'"
                "Substitute [the words] 'fruit,' 'slut,' 'tinker bell.'"
                "The CIA or any other government organization is not to be involved in General Nu's smuggling operation." (This character and storyline, which dealt with a Vietnamese opium smuggler who becomes involved in the Tate family through Jessica's long-lost son, was eventually removed from the show bible.)
                "In order to treat Jodie as a gay character, his portrayal must at all times be handled without 'limp-wristed' actions"
                "The colloquy between Peter and Jessica...which relates to cunnilingus/fellatio is obviously unacceptable"
                "The relationship between Jodie and the football player should be handled in such a manner that explicit or intimate aspects of homosexuality are avoided entirely."
                "Father Flotsky's stand on liberalizing the Mass will have to be treated in a balanced, inoffensive manner. By way of example, the substitution of Oreos for the traditional wafer is unacceptable."
                "The Soap Memo" also contained notes that were subsequently disregarded by the producers including:

"Please change Burt Campbell's last name to avoid association with the Campbell Soup Co."
                "Corinne's affair with a Jesuit priest, her subsequent pregnancy as a result, and later exorcism, are all unacceptable."
                "Please direct Claire to dump the hot coffee in some part of Chester's anatomy other than his crotch." (Susan Harris later responded to this note: "so we didn't—we poured it in his lap.")
                It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                  I saw that Katherine Helmond passed away recently. Made me think of Soap back in the 70's. It would be interesting to see how well that show has aged ... it was groundbreaking in its day.

edit for those who aren't familiar with the show, here's a great section from its wikipedia page ... remember this is from the 70's ...
                  She was 89 and also played Mona on "Who's the Boss?" ,Debra's mother on "Everybody Loves Raymond" and had a reoccurring role on "Coach". RIP.
                  “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Keith Flint, lead singer of The Prodigy, killed himself over the weekend. RIP twisted firestarter 🔥

Comment

• Luke Perry, teenage heartthrob of "Beverly Hills 90210" fame, never recovered from his stroke and died at age 52. RIP.

Comment

luke perry, teenage heartthrob of "beverly hills 90210" fame, never recovered from his stroke and died at age 52. Rip.
                        52? Wtf?

Comment

• Originally posted by Steve 2.0 View Post
                          52? Wtf?
                          I had the same reaction
                          It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                            I had the same reaction
                            as a fellow 52 year old, WTF was my exact reaction as well
                            "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• I'm 59 and it always shocks me when someone younger than me passes. In December of last year we lost a friend to gall bladder cancer who was only 55. It came out of nowhere. Within 6 months of the diagnosis, she was gone.

Comment

• to be fair Luke Perry looked older than a high schooler in 90215. keeping up with all those kids probably wore him out.

Comment

Working...
                                X