No announcement yet.

*Official* In Memoriam Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barbara Rush, actress who won a Golden Globe for her role in the science-fiction classic “It Came from Outer Space,” and guest starred on numerous TV shows during the 60's, 70's, & 80's has died. She was 97 years old.​ RIP.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
      Barbara Rush, actress who won a Golden Globe for her role in the science-fiction classic “It Came from Outer Space,” and guest starred on numerous TV shows during the 60's, 70's, & 80's has died. She was 97 years old.​ RIP.

I remember her from her role in the movie "Hombre" starring Paul Newman, one of the best films I've ever seen. I believe she was the last surviving cast member from that movie. RIP.

Comment

• Joe Flaherty, the comedic actor best known for his time on SCTV, died at age 82. RIP.

Comment

• I have fond memories of Joe Flaherty as "Count Floyd" on SCTV. RIP.

Comment

• Lou Conter, the last of the 355 survivors of the USS Arizona. The Navy battleship was sunk – with a loss of 1,177 lives – during the surprise Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941. Lou Conter was 102 years old. RIP.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Carl “C.J.” Snare, the lead singer of the hair metal band Firehouse, has died at the age of 64.​ RIP.

Last edited by madducks; 04-08-2024, 04:09 PM.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Peter Higgs, famous theoretical physicist, died on 4/8. He postulated the existence of a particle that came to be known as the Higgs Boson, which is responsible for imparting mass to particles of matter. The existence of the Higgs Boson, also called the Higgs Particle, was confirmed by experiments at the Large Hadron Collider at CERN near Geneva, Switzerland in 2012. He received many awards for his work, including the Nobel Prize in Physics in 2013. He was 94 y/o. RIP.

Comment

• Robert MacNeil, broadcast journalist who covered some of the biggest headlines of the 20th century and co-anchored PBS nightly news for two decades, died on Friday at age 93. RIP.

from Wikipedia:

On November 22, 1963, MacNeil was covering President John F. Kennedy's visit to Dallas for NBC News. After shots rang out in Dealey Plaza, MacNeil, who was with the presidential motorcade, followed crowds running onto the Grassy Knoll (he appears in a photo taken just moments after the assassination). He then headed toward the nearest building and encountered a young man leaving the Texas School Book Depository at around 12:33PM CST. He asked the man where the nearest telephone was and the man pointed and went on his way. MacNeil later learned the man he encountered might have been Lee Harvey Oswald.​

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• OK, apparently noone else here will do it so I guess I will.

O.J. Simpson died on 4/10. He was battling cancer. He was 76 y/o. He won the Heisman trophy in 1969 and was selected 1st overall in the NFL/AFL draft by the Buffalo Bills. In the post-merger NFL, he led the league in rushing 4 times and made the pro bowl 6 times. In 1973, he was the NFL MVP and became the 1st NFL player to rush for 2000 yards and remains the only player to accomplish this feat in 14 games. His record of 143.1 yards game set that season still stands. He was inducted into both the Pro Football HOF and the College Football HOF. After retiring from the NFL, he appeared in several movies, including "The Towering Inferno", and many TV productions, including a role in the miniseries "Roots". He became a spokesperson for and was featured in ads for several companies, including Hertz Car Rental. He also was a commentator on "Monday Night Football".

I think that it's very silly that noone wanted to mention this. This is a thread about the deaths of famous figures, in particular famous sports figures. At least that's what it's supposed to be. Simpson was not only a famous figure, he was iconic.

Comment

• Originally posted by rhd View Post
                      OK, apparently noone else here will do it so I guess I will.

O.J. Simpson died on 4/10. He was battling cancer. He was 76 y/o. He won the Heisman trophy in 1969 and was selected 1st overall in the NFL/AFL draft by the Buffalo Bills. In the post-merger NFL, he led the league in rushing 4 times and made the pro bowl 6 times. In 1973, he was the NFL MVP and became the 1st NFL player to rush for 2000 yards and remains the only player to accomplish this feat in 14 games. His record of 143.1 yards game set that season still stands. He was inducted into both the Pro Football HOF and the College Football HOF. After retiring from the NFL, he appeared in several movies, including "The Towering Inferno", and many TV productions, including a role in the miniseries "Roots". He became a spokesperson for and was featured in ads for several companies, including Hertz Car Rental. He also was a commentator on "Monday Night Football".

I think that it's very silly that noone wanted to mention this. This is a thread about the deaths of famous figures, in particular famous sports figures. At least that's what it's supposed to be. Simpson was not only a famous figure, he was iconic.
                      What I think is silly is you listing all his accomplishments and none of his obvious and significant flaws.
                      ---------------------------------------------
                      Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• O.J. is remembered in the football forum/ thread. I posted an interesting interview with Bob Costas who remembered a phone call from O.J.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post

What I think is silly is you listing all his accomplishments and none of his obvious and significant flaws.
                          And I think it is silly for you to make such a response, This is supposed to be an "In Memoriam" thread. Everyone knows what his flaws were. IMHO they dont need to be mentioned in this thread but if you feel like they should, why dont you mention them yourself?

Comment

And I think it is silly for you to make such a response, This is supposed to be an "In Memoriam" thread. Everyone knows what his flaws were. IMHO they dont need to be mentioned in this thread but if you feel like they should, why dont you mention them yourself?
                            Lol, everyone knows OJs flaws, so they don't need to be mentioned, but no one apparently remembers his accomplishments, which is why you need to post them. Well thanks for pointing those out for all the silly people who didn't post about O.J.

Simpson was at best a wife beater who also was convicted or robbery and kidnapping, and at worst a murderer. Surely you can understand why people would not want to post here celebrating his life ? Or are they just silly ?
                            Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                            The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Eleanor Coppola, award-winning film documentarian, artist, writer and wife of Francis Ford Coppola, has died at age 87. RIP.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

OK, apparently noone else here will do it so I guess I will.

Already posted in the Football in Memoriam Thread.

Comment

Working...
                                X