No announcement yet.

*Official* In Memoriam Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Country music legend Charley Pride has died at age 86, his representative announced.

Pride died Saturday in Dallas of complications from Covid-19

Comment

• Originally posted by fuhrdog View Post
      Country music legend Charley Pride has died at age 86, his representative announced.

Pride died Saturday in Dallas of complications from Covid-19
      And many are speculating he caught it at last month’s Country Music Awards, which was held indoors and sans masks.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
        And many are speculating he caught it at last month’s Country Music Awards, which was held indoors and sans masks.
        ---------------------------------------------
        Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
        The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• I'll leave it to experts to determine if this means anything:

"Everyone affiliated with the CMA Awards followed strict testing protocols outlined by the city health department and unions. Charley was tested prior to traveling to Nashville. He was tested upon landing in Nashville, and again on show day, with all tests coming back negative," the statement posted on the CMA's website reads. "After returning to Texas following the CMA Awards, Charley again tested negative multiple times."

"We are following all protocols that have been put in place by the CDC as well as the creative unions to ensure we provide the safest environment possible," the statement read. "Prior to even stepping onto our footprint at MCC, every single person (including artists and their reps) was required to be tested, with many testing repeatedly throughout the week as an extra measure of precaution. Just as with COVID regulations at restaurants, all in attendance are required to wear a mask any time they leave their assigned seat. Staff and crew are also required to wear PPE at all times and, of course, practice social and physical distancing. Tables are spaced eight feet apart with no more than four people seated per table."
          finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• As someone who never really followed Charlie Pride I didn't realize how many of his songs I knew - my dad was constantly singing lines while he worked and Charlie was apparently one of his favs. Stayed a classy guy during some turbulent times.
            It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
              I'll leave it to experts to determine if this means anything:

"Everyone affiliated with the CMA Awards followed strict testing protocols outlined by the city health department and unions. Charley was tested prior to traveling to Nashville. He was tested upon landing in Nashville, and again on show day, with all tests coming back negative," the statement posted on the CMA's website reads. "After returning to Texas following the CMA Awards, Charley again tested negative multiple times."

"We are following all protocols that have been put in place by the CDC as well as the creative unions to ensure we provide the safest environment possible," the statement read. "Prior to even stepping onto our footprint at MCC, every single person (including artists and their reps) was required to be tested, with many testing repeatedly throughout the week as an extra measure of precaution. Just as with COVID regulations at restaurants, all in attendance are required to wear a mask any time they leave their assigned seat. Staff and crew are also required to wear PPE at all times and, of course, practice social and physical distancing. Tables are spaced eight feet apart with no more than four people seated per table."
              It does mean something
              Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
              The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• yes, but it's from an organization under attack - so it's just a piece of the puzzle.

now, is it more compelling than ignoramuses parroting talking points on Twitter? probably

finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                  As someone who never really followed Charlie Pride I didn't realize how many of his songs I knew - my dad was constantly singing lines while he worked and Charlie was apparently one of his favs. Stayed a classy guy during some turbulent times.
                  Did you know he was a former pro baseball player? Yankees minor leaguer, and Negro leagues.

Did you know he was a part owner of the Rangers?

Amazing life, big loss.

Comment

• Dancer and actress Ann Reinking died at age 71. RIP.

Comment

• British actor Jeremy Bulloch, who played Boba Fett in "The Empire Strikes Back" and "Return of the Jedi", has died at age 75. RIP.
                      “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Jazz pianist, composer and professor Stanley Cowell died on 12/17. He was very well known and appreciated in the jazz community. He was 79 y/o. RIP.

Comment

• Leslie West, the massive - both physically and in guitar skill - co-founder of Mountain, died this morning.

I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Rap music pioneer John 'Ecstasy' Fletcher who was part of the rap group Whodini and known for wearing a "Zorro" style black cowboy hat has died at age 56. RIP.

Last edited by madducks; 01-12-2021, 05:03 AM.
                            “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Suck it 2020!

RIP Dawn Wells

https://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/...-dies-n1252565

Mary Ann was definitely the hottie on Gilligan's Island!
                              "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
                              - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
                              - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

• Originally posted by In the Corn View Post
                                Suck it 2020!

RIP Dawn Wells

https://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/...-dies-n1252565

Mary Ann was definitely the hottie on Gilligan's Island!
                                Another CV-19 victim! Yeah, she was not only the hottie on Gilligan's but about the hottest girl anywhere on TV at the time. Seemed really nice, too. RIP.

Comment

Working...
                                X