No announcement yet.

*Official* In Memoriam Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Henry Grimes, long-time jazz bassist, died on April 15, 2020, at the age of 84 from complications of COVID-19.

Also, Richie Cole, long-time jazz saxophonist, died May 2, 2020, at the age of 72, of natural causes.
    Last edited by rhd; 05-26-2020, 02:48 PM.

Comment

• Actor and comedian Jerry Stiller who played Frank Costanza on "Seinfeld" and Arthur Spooner on "The King of Queens" has died due to natural causes at age 92. RIP.

Last edited by madducks; 05-11-2020, 06:12 AM.
      “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Stiller and Meara on Ed Sullivan used to make me laugh. My first exposure to either one of them.

They broke up the act to pursue separate careers and keep their message strong. It worked, they stayed married 61 years until Anne's death in 2015.

I had the pleasure of meeting Anne in the the late 70's at The Library in New York City. She sat behind us watching stand up comedians (she was not performing). Nice lady, good couple.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
          Stiller and Meara on Ed Sullivan used to make me laugh. My first exposure to either one of them.

They broke up the act to pursue separate careers and keep their message strong. It worked, they stayed married 61 years until Anne's death in 2015.

I had the pleasure of meeting Anne in the the late 70's at The Library in New York City. She sat behind us watching stand up comedians (she was not performing). Nice lady, good couple.
          I'm jealous!
          “There’s no normal life, Wyatt, it’s just life. Get on with it.” – Doc Holliday

"It doesn't matter what you think" - The Rock

"I borked the entry." - Some dude on the Internet

Have I told you about otters being the only marine animal that can lift rocks?

Comment

• Fred Willard, the comedic actor known for his roles in movies including "Best in Show" and "This is Spinal Tap" and TV sitcoms "Everybody Loves Raymond" and "Modern Family," has died at the age of 86. RIP.
            “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Phyllis George, former Miss America and one of the first women to have a role in national sports ("The NFL Today" on CBS) died from a blood disorder at age 70. RIP.

Comment

• Ken Osmond, an actor best known for his role as troublemaker Eddie Haskell on "Leave It to Beaver," has died at age 76. RIP.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Jerry Sloan, former NBA player and coach, died today at age 78. He had a storied career both as a coach and as a player. He became the first Chicago Bull to have his number retired. He is 3rd on the all-time NBA list in coaching victories w 1221. He also coached 1 team (Utah Jazz) longer than any other NBA coach (32 years - 1979-80 to 2010-11).He had 15 straight winning seasons and also made the playoffs 15 years in a row. He is in the Basketball HOF. Unfortunately, he never won an NBA title either as a player or as a coach.

Few remember this besides me, but Sloan actually originally entered the NBA as a member of the Baltimore Bullets (now the Wizards). The Bullets drafted him twice and he signed in 1965. In 1966, the Bulls selected him in the expansion draft. RIP.
                  Last edited by rhd; 05-26-2020, 02:43 PM.

Comment

• Richard Herd, a character actor probably best known as Mr. Wilhelm, George Costanza's boss with the Yankees, on "Seinfeld," died at age 87. RIP.

Comment

• Jimmy Cobb, jazz drummer best known for his work on Miles Davis' Kind of Blue, died age 91.

I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                        Jimmy Cobb, jazz drummer best known for his work on Miles Davis' Kind of Blue, died age 91.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...s-kind-of-blue
                        Cobb was suffering from lung cancer. He was w Miles Davis from 1957-63 and had a long career working w many of the greats of jazz, not just Davis. I was fortunate to have seen him in concert at least once. RIP.

Comment

• Long-time college basketball coach Eddie Sutton died on 5/23 at the age of 84. He coached 6 different Div. 1 schools but probably is remembered most for his time at Arkansas and Kentucky. He became the first coach to take four schools to the NCAA Final Four and is one of only eight NCAA Division I coaches to have had more than 800 career wins. From 1977 to 2005, Sutton's teams appeared in all but one NCAA Tournament. Sutton was inducted into the College Basketball Hall of Fame in 2011 and Basketball Hall of Fame in 2020. He had losing seasons only twice, his last year at Kentucky and his last year overall as a coach at San Francisco. His career NCAA record was 804-328, a .710 winning %. RIP.

Comment

• NBA Hall of Famer Wes Unseld died at age 74. RIP

Comment

• Arrogate, the all-time leading money winning racehorse, having won the 2017 Breeders' Cup Classic and Travers Stakes, and the 2018 Dubai World Cup, died of a neck ailment at age 7. RIP.

Comment

• Kurt Thomas, one of the most well known American gymnasts in the sport’s history, died from complications of a stroke at age 64. RIP.

Comment

Working...
                                X