No announcement yet.

*Official* In Memoriam Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wallace Roney, another prominent jazz musician (trumpet), also died from complications due to COVID-19, on 3/31. He lived in the NYC area. He was 59.

Comment

• Adam Schlesinger, co-founder of the New Jersey power-pop group Fountains of Wayne and Emmy- and Grammy-winning songwriter for film, television, and theater, died Wednesday from complications related to COVID-19. He was 52.

Adam Schlesinger, the prolific songwriter known for his work in Fountains of Wayne, has died from complications related to the coronavirus.
      I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• The great Bill Withers has died at age 81. RIP.

Comment

• Legendary jazz guitarist Bucky Pizzarelli died - at age 94.
          finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
            Legendary jazz guitarist Bucky Pizzarelli died - at age 94.
            I wonder if he's related to the guy who does the Sunday morning jazz radio show from NYC (father?)
            It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
              I wonder if he's related to the guy who does the Sunday morning jazz radio show from NYC (father?)
              Yes, Bucky was John Pizzarelli's father.

Comment

• I missed this one on February 21 since he wasn't nationally known and his death didn't receive much publicity. But, those of us who grew up in Ohio, Pennsylvania, and parts of Canada in the 70's and 80's will remember WUAB Cleveland's Marty Sullivan aka/Superhost whose Saturday afternoon show "Supe's On" featured "Three Stooges" films and a double feature of old black & white monster movies. The first part of the show and commercial breaks featured silly skits performed by Sullivan and reading viewer mail from kids along with showing the kids' monster artwork included along with their letters. As a kid, it was a great four hours worth of entertainment on Saturday afternoons. Marty Sullivan was 87 years old. RIP Superhost.

Last edited by madducks; 04-04-2020, 08:03 PM.
                “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• A word for John Prine, who died from COVID-19 last week. Bob Dylan's favourite songwriter.

Sometime last year, I listened to a live version of this song on repeat for a whole day:

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                        A word for John Prine, who died from COVID-19 last week. Bob Dylan's favourite songwriter.

Sometime last year, I listened to a live version of this song on repeat for a whole day:

As Monty Python said in a sketch..."I'm not dead yet". Prine is currently in ICU, but he continues to fight for his life.
                        "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                        - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                        -Warren Ellis

Comment

A word for John Prine, who died from COVID-19 last week. Bob Dylan's favourite songwriter.

We have our old pontoon boat on Grass Lake (first year). We go north through the channel and spend most of our time on Lake Marie.

I am also a big John Prine fan. Checked on line late last night. He has double pneumonia and is on a ventilator. My wife asked when I first heard him. I believe it was 1973 when I was home from college. I was playing FM radio in my old room when Dear Abby came on. I was in stitches. We listened to it last night before lights out.

Prayers are with you John and your family.

Comment

to quote Bob Dylan: "My God, They Killed Him!"
                            finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                            own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                            won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                            RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                            C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                            1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                            OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                              to quote Bob Dylan: "My God, They Killed Him!"
                              Apparently not ...

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                              As Monty Python said in a sketch..."I'm not dead yet". Prine is currently in ICU, but he continues to fight for his life.
                              Here's hoping he pulls through.

The cruelty of this disease is that it will take so many who have recently just recovered from life-threatening ailments ...

Comment

• John Prine passed this evening.

Thank you for the wonderful music and the good memories.

You will be missed.

Comment

Working...
                                X