2K24: San Diego Padres

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
    yeah, those types of injuries come in degrees. But I suspect the Pads are going to play this really cautiously.
    It's happened twice in less than a month now...that would indicate that things are loose in there, perhaps really loose. Comes down to pain tolerance, and the hope that he doesn't mess it up worse.
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

Comment

• Originally posted by Sharky View Post
      Downer about Tatis Jr.

Does Weathers move to the 5th starter role?
      He could if either Paddack or Morejon falter, but right now he's the long arm out of the bullpen.
      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• from Preller. Tatis did indeed dislocate his shoulder, but it apparently popped back in. He WILL be going on the IL during which they will decide what direction they will go. They sound positive, but won't commit to him returning after the 10 days. Kim looks to get the first shot at SS, but they feel Cronenworth, Profar and Mateo can all play SS if needed. If Tatis does indeed have surgery and is out long term they will reevaluate if none of the in house options pan out. They can even move Machado to SS and play Marcano at 3b. What was NOT mentioned was calling up Abrams, so that doesn't look like it's being considered right now.

Tatis says he feels fine, has full range of motion so now it seems to be--can he continue the season without surgery this season (but surgery might still have to happen eventually like Bellinger).

Best case--he's back in 10.

O'Grady is activated for tonight, but Grisham could be back this weekend so--keep that in mind.

Bottomline, they believe he'll be out for a short time and the play the remainder of the season with the issue.

So breath easy Revo, you may have dodged a bullet.
        If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
        Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Melancon gets the save....looks like he's the guy for now.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Grisham activated, O'Grady sent back down.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by ThatRogue View Post
              Does this mean I need to issue a mea culpa, and apologize to Cavebird and others for saying that Tatis was giving the Padres a discount? Perhaps, because the Padres knew about the shoulder issue, both sides were happy with the money...maybe they both had concerns about his ability to avoid injury. I just hope he gets healthy soon because baseball is better off with a dynamic young talent like his playing in (and being written about) as many games as possible.

(Granted, I did admit that in exchange for his discount he protected himself against injury risk...)
              Well, the entire point (at least my point) was that Tatis was protecting himself against the injury risk (and the poor performance risk, which is less likely but could come after injuries). That being said, who knows where it goes from here. I'd love to give comparisons to other big contracts that worked or didn't, but I don't think there has ever been a player this young signing this kind of contract.

Comment

• Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                Well, the entire point (at least my point) was that Tatis was protecting himself against the injury risk (and the poor performance risk, which is less likely but could come after injuries). That being said, who knows where it goes from here. I'd love to give comparisons to other big contracts that worked or didn't, but I don't think there has ever been a player this young signing this kind of contract.
                His injury, even if he misses the season, isn't one that threatens a career, nor impacts one after surgery (which he will almost certainly have to have prior to the 22 season) I'm obviously biased, but I think he'll be GTG by 2022. I do think he may opt for surgery soon as the shoulder obviously has hurt his performance so far this year and though the Padres should fare well this season, 2022 is the Padres year.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Adams activated, Crismatt down. Lamet goes 4 innings 56 pitches looking good enough for the team to consider activating him this coming week. Tatis also looking like he'll be back when the 10days are up in time for the LA series.

Nola and Johnson not too far behind.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by gwynninthehall View Post
                    adams activated, crismatt down. lamet goes 4 innings 56 pitches looking good enough for the team to consider activating him this coming week. Tatis also looking like he'll be back when the 10days are up in time for the la series.

Nola and johnson not too far behind.
                    O

---------------------------------------------
                    Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                    ---------------------------------------------
                    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                      His injury, even if he misses the season, isn't one that threatens a career, nor impacts one after surgery (which he will almost certainly have to have prior to the 22 season) I'm obviously biased, but I think he'll be GTG by 2022. I do think he may opt for surgery soon as the shoulder obviously has hurt his performance so far this year and though the Padres should fare well this season, 2022 is the Padres year.
                      I don't recall a shoulder surgery that didn't impact a player for at least a while after having done it. Maybe I am missing someone or several, but shoulder injuries are scary. For pitchers, usually fatal for the career. I wonder if it means he moves off SS to 2B where the throws are shorter.

Comment

I don't recall a shoulder surgery that didn't impact a player for at least a while after having done it. Maybe I am missing someone or several, but shoulder injuries are scary. For pitchers, usually fatal for the career. I wonder if it means he moves off SS to 2B where the throws are shorter.
                        I have no first hand knowledge regarding these injuries, I'm only relaying what I've heard. I can't imagine he'll be able to play the entire season in the manner we're used to seeing him play. if I had to guess, I'd say he comes back, plays for a while and reinjures the shoulder at which point he get's surgery and hopes to return by 2022. Should it affect his throwing, Abrams is GTG at SS and from what I've heard--should Tatis go under the knife sooner rather than later, look for the Padres to try and bring in Javy Baez or Trevor Story for a short term rental. All in all, I trust the Padres to make the right choice to protect their 340 million dollars.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                          I have no first hand knowledge regarding these injuries, I'm only relaying what I've heard. I can't imagine he'll be able to play the entire season in the manner we're used to seeing him play. if I had to guess, I'd say he comes back, plays for a while and reinjures the shoulder at which point he get's surgery and hopes to return by 2022. Should it affect his throwing, Abrams is GTG at SS and from what I've heard--should Tatis go under the knife sooner rather than later, look for the Padres to try and bring in Javy Baez or Trevor Story for a short term rental. All in all, I trust the Padres to make the right choice to protect their 340 million dollars.
                          I don't think they need to bring anyone in, fwiw, since Cronenworth, Kim, and Machado can all play SS. They could bring in a rental for the bat, but they don't need a SS---they bought enough in the off-season to cover the depth. That being said, I would be afraid of using a top 5 draft pick on Tatis in 2022 if he needs surgery. He should be back to completely normal by 2023, but those kinds of injuries can sap power for a year, I think. Still, with $340 M for 14 years, if he misses most of one year and is not as good for another, it does affect whether he got a good deal or not. I cannot know how good he will be for the rest of the contract, but I am pretty sure, barring a strike/lockout, he'll get paid the full amount. The MLBPA has not been as strong in recent years as it used to be, but unlike say, the NFLPA, they have always made sure that all contracts are guaranteed.

Comment

I don't think they need to bring anyone in, fwiw, since Cronenworth, Kim, and Machado can all play SS. They could bring in a rental for the bat, but they don't need a SS---they bought enough in the off-season to cover the depth. That being said, I would be afraid of using a top 5 draft pick on Tatis in 2022 if he needs surgery. He should be back to completely normal by 2023, but those kinds of injuries can sap power for a year, I think. Still, with $340 M for 14 years, if he misses most of one year and is not as good for another, it does affect whether he got a good deal or not. I cannot know how good he will be for the rest of the contract, but I am pretty sure, barring a strike/lockout, he'll get paid the full amount. The MLBPA has not been as strong in recent years as it used to be, but unlike say, the NFLPA, they have always made sure that all contracts are guaranteed.
                            you seem a bit more negative regarding what Tatis will be able to do or not do than most, but I can see your point. As for replacing Tatis None of those you mentioned can replace his expected performance. There needs to be someone who can produce close to or at his level. Machado doesn't want to move back to SS and at their best, Kim, Profar, mateo nor Jake can compensate for Tatis's loss. the Padres aren't in this to merely compete0-they're in it to win it all, as many times as they can in the next several years and they've shown they'll do what's necessary to get it done. as for drafting him in 2022, You may not want him top 5, but there will be someone who will. I can't see him dropping far at all in non redraft leagues and again, in redraft--if he's there at 5 I can see most owners grabbing him. But to each his own.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Boy things are looking bleak to me when it comes to Paddack. I had him in two keeper leagues (on NL only and one dynasty), and I have already traded him in the NL league (decent return of a $1 Tapia and Devin Williams...also I am very strong in pitching in that league). I cant jump off this ship fast enough while there is still some name value left.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pauly View Post
                                Boy things are looking bleak to me when it comes to Paddack. I had him in two keeper leagues (on NL only and one dynasty), and I have already traded him in the NL league (decent return of a $1 Tapia and Devin Williams...also I am very strong in pitching in that league). I cant jump off this ship fast enough while there is still some name value left.
                                Yeah, if Lamets return is real, he could be an ex Padre by June

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Working...
                                X