No announcement yet.

2K24: San Diego Padres

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I know they are saying Jake stays at 2nd base (here in SD) but I just can't see them signing Kim for that length of time to put him on the bench. Like Jason said, if Jake is in SD he'll be the guy off the bench, IMO. BTW don't be surprised if they make another move for an arm as I've yet to hear Lamet is 100% and seeing as how they just set the market for Arms, they have the pieces to still grab a guy like Gray or a FA arm like Sugano, maybe a reclamation like Quintana. I know they still have Paddack, Luchessi, Morejon and poss Gore, but as we've seen--there can never be enough pitching if you plan to contend as they say for the Cake.
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• I didn't realize the Cubs were kicking in 5M too...wow

Comment

• Originally posted by fuhrdog View Post
        I didn't realize the Cubs were kicking in 5M too...wow
        ..................... this is me being speechless. I did not know that.

Comment

• The Snell deal is a far bigger win than the Darvish deal, imo, although both were steals. Still, hard to trust Preller when making the big move. Padres always win the offseason, it seems, but then reality strikes hard. I'd love to have Snell pitching for my team. The guy goes just absolutely unhittable sometimes. Plus, he's 124 years younger than Yu. Darvish was old, with an injury history, coming off of a great season right after a long meh period, and expensive. What would you trade for him in a normal year with all these cons? I'd throw a prospect or two the Cubbies' way but would not break the bank.
          More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
            The Snell deal is a far bigger win than the Darvish deal, imo, although both were steals. Still, hard to trust Preller when making the big move. Padres always win the offseason, it seems, but then reality strikes hard. I'd love to have Snell pitching for my team. The guy goes just absolutely unhittable sometimes. Plus, he's 124 years younger than Yu. Darvish was old, with an injury history, coming off of a great season right after a long meh period, and expensive. What would you trade for him in a normal year with all these cons? I'd throw a prospect or two the Cubbies' way but would not break the bank.

Yu is Old. BUT I believe you underestimate him just a tad. He and Snell are pretty comparable if you look at the past 3 years. Playing in Petco and with the Padres Defense behind his should help as well. And yes, the Padres are splashy, but honestly they have only won the offseason twice and this years crown is still up for grabs with the Mets kicking it into gear. 2015 was an ownership mandate to win immediately, there was no core of players to add to--so this years splash is entirely different. As for failing after a splashy offseason, yep--2015 was not great players who had been stars tanked, nothing came together and they were sent on their way mid season and the rebuild began. Sure they splashed into the trading deadline last year, but how can you say that was a failure? They had the 2nd best record in MLB and made it to the divisional round of the playoffs vs LA. That was without their top 2 starters arguably as good as any 2 in the post season. That's not a systemic failure that's just padres shit luck (they have a lot of that) THIS off season they added to an outstanding core WITH top tier prospects in the wings. I love Prellers moves, as you know. He plays it the way I would if I were a GM. But I get your POV, until they get the cake--they're not even at the Buffet.
            If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
            Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
              Yu is Old. BUT I believe you underestimate him just a tad.
              A lot, IMO. Unhittable? Darvish has been essentially unhittable since the AS break in 2019. He's hitting 95+ on his fastball, and now that he trusts his elbow, his cutter is exceptional. And while he may be older, that elbow is pretty new.
              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Yu is Old. BUT I believe you underestimate him just a tad. He and Snell are pretty comparable if you look at the past 3 years. Playing in Petco and with the Padres Defense behind his should help as well. And yes, the Padres are splashy, but honestly they have only won the offseason twice and this years crown is still up for grabs with the Mets kicking it into gear. 2015 was an ownership mandate to win immediately, there was no core of players to add to--so this years splash is entirely different. As for failing after a splashy offseason, yep--2015 was not great players who had been stars tanked, nothing came together and they were sent on their way mid season and the rebuild began. Sure they splashed into the trading deadline last year, but how can you say that was a failure? They had the 2nd best record in MLB and made it to the divisional round of the playoffs vs LA. That was without their top 2 starters arguably as good as any 2 in the post season. That's not a systemic failure that's just padres shit luck (they have a lot of that) THIS off season they added to an outstanding core WITH top tier prospects in the wings. I love Prellers moves, as you know. He plays it the way I would if I were a GM. But I get your POV, until they get the cake--they're not even at the Buffet.
                I agree - the Padres are a young, talented, and skilled group. They were already on the cusp before these awesome trades. I also think Darvish is a great get for the Pads. I just think Snell’s value far exceeds his for the reasons I mentioned. I got a little carried away making that point, perhaps. . Both those trades were big time wins for San Diego.
                More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• And they’re about to sign a mega extension with Tatis, too. Wow.

Edit: Rumored 11 yrs / $320 mazillion
                  Last edited by Bene Futuis; 01-10-2021, 01:34 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
                    And they’re about to sign a mega extension with Tatis, too. Wow.

Edit: Rumored 11 yrs / $320 mazillion
                    An extention would be great but I haven't heard anything about it from the team sources and if they do extend, which I think they will, I believe it will be more along the lines of Acunas deal than a full Machado like contract.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

An extention would be great but I haven't heard anything about it from the team sources and if they do extend, which I think they will, I believe it will be more along the lines of Acunas deal than a full Machado like contract.
                      I saw the same info Bene did, and if the Pads can get that ink on paper, it'd be a huge win. It's like having Mike Trout at SS for the next 11 years at under $30 mil/year.
                      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                        I saw the same info Bene did, and if the Pads can get that ink on paper, it'd be a huge win. It's like having Mike Trout at SS for the next 11 years at under $30 mil/year.
                        I saw it too. Then this morning Rotorworld reported that they haven't talked yet but will be in February.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                          I believe that report came out of the DR or wherever the Estrellas play

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Bob Nightengale of USA Today reports that the Padres and Fernando Tatis Jr. haven't begun discussions on a contract extension.
                            This conflicts reports that the Padres were closing in on an 11-year, $320 million contract from the weekend. Nightengale does report that the two sides appear more than willing to discuss a deal, and that those talks should start in February and before spring training. One of the bright stars in the game, Tatis Jr. has said he wants to be a member of the Padres for the remainder of his career, and it still sounds like the two sides should be able to get something done before the 2021 season.

SOURCE: USA Today
                            Jan 11, 2021, 10:09 AM ET

Comment

• Tanaka?!

Maybe...

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                                Tanaka?!

Maybe...
                                I'd take him in SD on a 2 year contract--He'd be a perfect #4-5.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Working...
                                X