No announcement yet.

2K24: San Diego Padres

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garrett Richards pitched two scoreless innings in a Cactus League start against Milwaukee on Tuesday, allowing one hit and striking out two. He sat in the 96-97 mph range with his fastball, per Kevin Acee of The San Diego Union-Tribune. The Padres took a gamble on Richards when they signed him to a two-year deal late in 2018 with with the knowledge that most of 2019 would be spent recovering from Tommy John surgery. The right-hander struggled in three major-league outings last season, but he appears to be fully healthy heading into the 2020 campaign and could boost an already-promising rotation if his arm holds up. Wednesday's radar gun readings are in line with the 95.8 mph average he posted with his fastball prior to his surgery in 2018.
    big if true.
    In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

• Originally posted by mjl View Post
      big if true.
      Watched it yesterday--he looked pretty sharp.
      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• I wanted to revisit this, kind of a HDID, GITH style. I'd say pretty good, though I whiffed on a couple of things, but all in all not bad. My Updated thoughts in bold

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
        San Diego Padres off season 2019-2020 or Strange things afoot at the Circle K.

Remember a few years back when the Padres won the off season and not much else? well hang onto your hats because this off season should prove to be even more awe inspiring. AJ Preller (and nearly everyone else remaining from the past couple of years) are under an edict from ownership to get this this years LAST PLACE PADRES into the playoffs in 2020. Everything is on Preller, he got his guy in Tingler as opposed to a more experiences ML manager, he's getting the coaching staff he wants. He's ALL IN.
        Having to clear 11 guys off the 40 before Monday he's already traded Jankowski and released/DFAd/declined option on Stock, Warren, Loup, Stammen, Erlin and Kennedy. 4 more need to go in some manner before then. I'm expecting guys like Kinsler (who might join the coaching staff), Mejias-brean, Yardley and Martini all of whom are older and only because facilitating a trade of significance right now would be tough.

But there WILL be trading and FAgenting galore. 6 new players via Trade (all who should make the roster) and 8 FA (4 who probably will make the roster) I'll say It was an easy call as the Padres needed to make changes and they did.

Here's what I see happening.

Padres will sign one of the top FA TOR arms. Cole, Madbum, Wheeler or Strasburg (should he opt out. There's not any doubt they will go hard after cole and Stras, whether they win the bidding war or not remains to be seen, but they apparently appear to be committed to spending more money--enough to ,move them into a top 10 payroll (they're currently 25th) The rest of the rotation should feature at least Paddack and Richard with one or two of Lamet, Lucchesi and possible Gore. There's also a chance a mid rotation guy could come by way of trade. Nope, they were IN on some of the arms (But Preller seems to be IN on everyone) I called the Rotation (though that was easy) and I'll take half a point for Davies

The OF will feature at least 2 new players possibly all 3 spots with new guys. I see Renfroe and Margot being dealt with an outside possibility of Myers moving on (though it's going to be tough to move his contract. Franchy should stay, but will have to prove he can stay healthy and play beyond a 4th OF type guy. Names I've heard bandied about are Corey Dickerson, Betts, Starling Marte, Shogo, Mazara, and Kyle Tucker though there could be someone not being talked about who is added. It's going to be a vastly different OF in San Diego in 2020. I think I nailed this one, again, they cycled through some of the names I mentioned, in the end--it was Pham and Grisham. Myers wasn't moved, but it looks like that might turn out to be a good thing as he's tearing it up this spring.

2B is also a place they'll look to improve. I believe Urias will be moved and names I'm hearing as possible starters include Villar, Dee Gordon and Whit Merrifield (though the last one seems more of a longshot) Kinda got this one, Urias was dealt, but though I thought Profar might be a secondary target, I didn't see Dozier signing.

Catcher might be an area they change, but it's likely going to come down to Mejia--If he can prove to be consentient at and behind the plate, they'll go with him--but Hedges is gone. Hedges, you killed me oh well everyone has an Ofer once in a while.

Hosmer, Machado and Tatis are really the only players (positions) who are automatically penciled in for 2020.

The bullpen outside of Yates and Munoz is up for grabs.

All in all, it should prove to be a fun Off Season for Padre fans and as for fantasy implications--with so much changing in SD, pay close attention as it might impact who you choose to keep 9former, current Padres) or not.

Oh and they're going back to the Brown and Yellow full time this season...……..Time for a New Padres Jersey.
        So--an update on the Padres roster situation. I'm see the Padres (barring a last minute--very Preller type thing to do-trade) as this

Ca. Mejia/Hedges
        1b Hosmer
        2b Dozier/Profar
        SS Tatis Jr
        3b Machado
        OF Pham, Grisham, Myers, Cordero

Bn: Garcia, Croenworth

Now Trammell and Almonte are having excellent springs, but Trammell has options though I could also see Croenworth go to AAA and they keep Almonte, but It's hard for me to see the Padres keeping him for OD.

SP Paddack
        SP Richards
        SP Lamet
        SP Davies

RP Munoz
        RP Strahm
        RP Stammen
        RP Johnson
        SU Pagan
        SU Pomeranz
        CL Yates

The Padres have some decisions to make--Like who is their #5 and whom is the Swingman. Javy Guerra, the converted SS (obtained in the Red Sox Trade for Kimbrell) is out of options and has been great in the RP role, they risk losing him to a waiver claim if they try and sneak him down and they could because their BP is loaded. Lucchesi and Quantrill have yet to impress for the 5 spot, but Baez has been excellent and though was in the BP last year has spent most of his career as a starter. there's also Gore, who starts today I believe, who's impressed on the back field claiming that 5th spot. Both Joey and Cal have options. Munoz has also yet to pitch nor has Castillo. Heck Reyes is doing well too, the Padres seem to have a wealth of BP arms so again--It's still up in their air.

Hope this little bit helps any of you NL onlys going into drat day--I'll try to keep it updated as I get informed.
        If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
        Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• What happened with Strahm as a starter? He was the hot SD starting pitcher prospect last year. He's not even being considered as a starter anymore? TIA

Comment

• Originally posted by southcoast View Post
            What happened with Strahm as a starter? He was the hot SD starting pitcher prospect last year. He's not even being considered as a starter anymore? TIA
            First, the field of competitive arms for the starting rotation has increased simply with the addition of Richards, Lamet and Davies. The promotion of guys like Quantrill and Baez and a couple of others on the horizon. Simply put--It's ju7st more crowded to begin with.

Second, he was clearly better in the pen than he was as a starter--he was the Padres second best arm out of the pen last season. His metrics were. across the board, better out of the pen than as a starter. he's still very talented and it's always good to have a guy who can throw multiple innings out of the pen, but going forward, there are simply too many guys inserti9ng themselves into the conversation when it comes to starting on this team--I have to believe this is the primary reason Preller didn't break the bank for an arm this off season. Save it spend it on a bat of necessary, but pitching is going to be pretty good in Petco for several year.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post

Hope this little bit helps any of you NL onlys going into drat day--I'll try to keep it updated as I get informed.
              I appreciate your updates.

Comment

• Just found out--I will be watching Opening day from a friends brewery downtown a few blocks from Petco (I have tickets to day 2) and members of the Elsinor Storm will be joining us. Single A updates coming March 27

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Andres Munoz and Reggie Lawson both to have TJ surgery.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Pads acquire former top prospect Jorge Mateo from the A's for a PTBNL

Comment

• So, how will the Padres rotation shake out? Does Cal Qauntrill have a shot over Davies for the 5th spot?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                        So, how will the Padres rotation shake out? Does Cal Qauntrill have a shot over Davies for the 5th spot?
                        They look like one of the more well setup rotations in the league - Paddack/GRichards/Lucchesi/Lamet/Davies. Q will still have value in a wins league since I don't think the Pads will stress Richards or Lamet early and I'd think Q would be a key long RP. But I don't see much of a chance of Q breaking the starting five unless COVID happens or GRichards arm explodes even earlier than I think it will.
                        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

So, how will the Padres rotation shake out? Does Cal Quantrill have a shot over Davies for the 5th spot?
                          So, this (the Padres rotation) has been a source of quite a bit of discussion lately here in San Diego.

Consensus is that Paddack, Richards and Lamet are set 1-2-3. Davies is the #4. Quantrill and Lucchesi are vying for #5. However, the Padres might go piggyback at the beginning of the season meaning Baez, Morejon, Gore, Patino, Bolanos and Eickhoff might see action plus they have several guys in the BP who can go multiple innings in Strahm, Pomeranz.

The Padres et up great for this short season pitching-wise--with one of the best and deepest BPs in the league and a solid rotation with many options to step in, they should thrive.

At the beginning of the season I thought Michel Baez would steal the #5, I still like him better than both Quantrill and Lucchesi, but in this short season, they're gonna go for it so--shorter, more random appearances seem to be in order outside the top 4 guys (barring injury)

That's all I got today, I'll try to update as the season gets closer.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Hmm, so much depth is good for the Padres, but maybe not great for us fantasy folks. Maybe it is bests to shy away from the back end of that rotation.

Comment

Hmm, so much depth is good for the Padres, but maybe not great for us fantasy folks. Maybe it is bests to shy away from the back end of that rotation.
                              Problem with pretty much every team who doesn't have guys like Cole or Scherzer. Wins are going to be even more of a crapshoot this season as I don't see many guys going 5IP straight outta the gate. But saves/Holds leagues are gonna be easy peazy.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• 07.16... Royals acquired OF Franchy Cordero and RHP Ronald Bolanos from the Padres for LHP Tim Hill.

Spin: Cordero has dazzled at times with his prodigious power and speed, but he also has a lot of swing and miss in his game and has battled injuries. It's not clear exactly how he fits into the Royals' outfield picture at the moment, but he's worth a gamble in exchange for a middle reliever (albeit an effective one in Hill). Both Cordero and Bolanos will initially be assigned to the Royals' alternate training site.
                                finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                                own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                                won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                                RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                                C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                                1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                                OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Working...
                                X