2K24: San Diego Padres

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
    I'm not as big on this deal for the Pads as many are. Yes, they got one of the best closers in the game, but they added at an already strong position. Not to mention they dealt 2 pretty tradable assets in Wisler and Maybin...and got stuck with a 40 million dollar bill for Melvin Upton. Maybe they think that adding him will help re-sign Justin...
    There is no doubt this was a great deal for the Braves, and the Pads took on a lot to get this done, but you can never have enough in the bullpen, and this also clearly helps the Pads win this year, which they seem hell bent on doing.

Comment

• Well they just picked up the best closer in the game for just a tad more than Beniot was getting and they control him for the next 3 years. he's a better deal than Robertson who signed for more this off-season. Preller has assembled a lot of controllable talent and with Melvin in town he can now get Justin to extend at a discount. They were going to have to DFA Quentin or Maybin anyway as they had no way to keep them. Upton has disappointed in his 2 years a brave but he's only 2 years removed from a 30/30 season, or close to it. I foresee them moving him or Meyers to 1b and allowing the other to play CF. As for Quack, keep him in mind as beniot can now be flipped easily and replaced without hurting te bullpen at all.
      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
        It all washes out to be Kimbrel (plus Upton, if that can be considered a plus) and take on $56 million in additional salary in exchange for Wisler (#34 prospect in baseball), Jordan Paroubeck, the #41 overall pick in the draft, Quentin, and Maybin.

Really odd trade, to me.
        They really only made it so that my predictions would come true.........
        If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
        Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Kimbrel and Robertson have nearly identical contracts.
          Close, Kimbral's 2018 is an option.

However Kimbral is far better than Robertson in fact his 11+ WAR for the first 4 years of his career are the best of ANY closer in recorded history.

See you tomorrow! :P

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Hey Doig, what do you think of Despaigne this year? Morrow is far from the model of health but would he be next in line?

Comment

• Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
              Hey Doig, what do you think of Despaigne this year? Morrow is far from the model of health but would he be next in line?
              Despaigne is almost a perfect swingman. he has a rubber arm and coming in the game after the starting 5 is going to cause problems for those facing him and his arsenal of crap. He's also the first guy in the rotation if there is an injury so I see him with pretty decent value in NL onlys.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• I was more interested in Morrow. He made the rotation out of camp. What's left in the tank?

J
                Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

I'd certainly hope that he's better than Robertson since the cost to acquire him was essentially $56 million (including one mother of an albatross contract), a wedge pick, a 2nd rounder, the 34th best prospect in baseball, one post-hype guy, and an injured sack of shit.

Benoit owners have to be pretty bummed right about now, although it doesn't look like he was too expensive for most drafters.

I have a $1 beniot that I kept only to have the trade happen 3 hours after our keeper deadline.......

I'd hope they'd sign a guy like Kimbral if they are in anyway serious about contending.

I look at the deal like this..the Padres dealt wisler and OF I haven't heard of and the 41st pick in this years draft for the best closer in the game who is controlled for the next 3 years.

They took Upton's remaining 46 million and rid themselves, with buyouts, of 27 million so the next 3 years of Upton cost them 19 million more than paying Quentin and Maybin, neither who have ever been or could ever be Upton at his best. If Upton returns to half his all star form he's still better than either of those 2 and his presence on the team for the next 3 years might inspire Justin to extend at a discount.

Sure they paid a bit more than they wanted to, but their other option was DFAing both Maybin and Q and getting nothing for them, instead they added arguably the best in the game at his position in kimbral and a former allstar who can't be even half as horrible ans the two players he was dealt for.

Agree or not, you will agree that this year is going to be one hell of a ride in the NL west.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                    I was more interested in Morrow. He made the rotation out of camp. What's left in the tank?

J
                    He'll be facing all the other #5s in the league and still sports a 8+ k/9 ratio and now pitches half his games in Petco and possibly the best bullpen in the game to get him home. I think he, most of all, received a boost in value after today's trades.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• "He'll be facing all the other #5s in the league"

concept has not been true since the 1960s, when there were 4-man rotations

and even then, teams would rig the rotation based on lefty-righty issues

not likely true even by May 1 or earlier

that said, you have been killing it here the entire offseason and thanks for that, sincerely
                      finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                        "He'll be facing all the other #5s in the league"

concept has not been true since the 1960s, when there were 4-man rotations

and even then, teams would rig the rotation based on lefty-righty issues

not likely true even by May 1 or earlier

that said, you have been killing it here the entire offseason and thanks for that, sincerely
                        Sincerely? I had no idea that was a misconception I'd just think you'd have less pressure facing the Linceums than the Bumgarners of the league. But hey we learn new things so thanks. And thanks for the props. I really do appreciate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• no insult intended on the matchup issues, GITH

and by "concept" I mean that No. 5s don't actually often face No. 5s anymore. I agree that it would be easier if it was the case.

it's just that with ever-changing schedules, fewer 3-game series, teams that want to give a key starter extra rest, rainouts, and other issues, the pitchers seem to fall out of slots (if not the case, I welcome a correction).

it may recur in September, when teams take the other route and try to slot SPs into the most important games.
                          finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                            Sincerely? I had no idea that was a misconception I'd just think you'd have less pressure facing the Linceums than the Bumgarners of the league. But hey we learn new things so thanks. And thanks for the props. I really do appreciate it.
                            With teams having different off days, and some teams skipping their #5's occasionally, a #5 also has a decent chance of facing another team's #1, if Team A plays their 6th game when Team B plays their 5th game, for example. OR, if team A skips their 5th starter, and Team B does not, then the #5 faces the #1. In theory anyway.

And by May it's so jumbled, I'm not sure it could possibly make much difference.

Comment

• Does anyone think that the acquisition of Melvin Upton (signed through 2017) will improve the Padres chances of signing free agent to be Justin Upton?
                              “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
                                Does anyone think that the acquisition of Melvin Upton (signed through 2017) will improve the Padres chances of signing free agent to be Justin Upton?
                                I'm hoping that's the case.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Working...
                                X