Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
    I don't see wholesale changes.
    Well, you're more optimistic than me. Which is good.

Admittedly, if I were any good or just decent NL team, I'd wonder how I could be behind the Reds. Sure, Votto has had a good comeback year, and Castellanos has also been very good. Mahle has been unexpectedly solid. India has been a revelation. But their #1 pitcher was horrible for over two months, their #2 has been decidedly mediocre, and the rest of that SP mix is dicey at best. Suarez has been awful, the OF other than Castellanos is not good, a journeyman 31 year old at SS, and a lot of that bullpen has been brutal.
    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
      Well, you're more optimistic than me. Which is good.

Admittedly, if I were any good or just decent NL team, I'd wonder how I could be behind the Reds. Sure, Votto has had a good comeback year, and Castellanos has also been very good. Mahle has been unexpectedly solid. India has been a revelation. But their #1 pitcher was horrible for over two months, their #2 has been decidedly mediocre, and the rest of that SP mix is dicey at best. Suarez has been awful, the OF other than Castellanos is not good, a journeyman 31 year old at SS, and a lot of that bullpen has been brutal.
      It's not at all about the Reds.

It's about the Padres pitching. They started the season with Yu Darvish, Joe Musgrove, Blake Snell, Chris Paddack, Adrian Morejon, Ryan Weathers, Dinelson Lamet and Michel Baez all vying for the starting rotation. Losing Baez and Morejon before the season, the regression of Paddack and Snell, Lamet hurt twice and being inconsistent have all contributed to the fall. I could list the BP guys who've been lost as well. But every team has suffered iunjuries, the Padres just don't have the upper minor league depth right now. Gore struggling has to be included.
      The Padres were 5.5 games behind SF right before the deadline, 6 games up in the WC and only 3 games behind LA with a favorable schedule looming. The deadline was pretty emotionally draining. Hosmer was said to be going, Myers possibly Paddack as well. With Gallo, Gibson, Scherzer, Berrios et all heading to SD. Not only did the Padres fail to add a starting arm, their team was somewhat deflated--you could feel it, then the very next game Tatis goes down. Darvish and Paddack follow a week or so later. The Padres have been using BP games 3 out of 5 starts. the wear is showing.

From the time I mentioned above, the Padres have gone 10-14 Sf, LA and CINN have gone 18-7, 17-7 and 18-8 respectively.

It's ALL on the Padres and their pitching.

Preller just signed a 5 year extension. he's not going anywhere. Tingler is his guy, so he's safe. Schumacher, Kirby and Dickerson are all safe.

Rothchild was the only guy who had been rumored to be on the hot seat, I don't know much about Fritz, the BP coach (now interim pitching coach) but he'd seem to be the only potential guy on the hot seat and I doubt that too as the Padre BP has really performed admirably given the situation.

I honestly think that if the padres can get Darvish and Paddack back this week, get Gore and Lamet up by Sept 1st, they can regain that #2 WC--if they do, they will have earned it.

BUT they have played LA tough this year, SF/Hou too. It all hinges on if they can get their starters back this series.
      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

It's not at all about the Reds.

It's about the Padres pitching. They started the season with Yu Darvish, Joe Musgrove, Blake Snell, Chris Paddack, Adrian Morejon, Ryan Weathers, Dinelson Lamet and Michel Baez all vying for the starting rotation. Losing Baez and Morejon before the season, the regression of Paddack and Snell, Lamet hurt twice and being inconsistent have all contributed to the fall. I could list the BP guys who've been lost as well. But every team has suffered iunjuries, the Padres just don't have the upper minor league depth right now. Gore struggling has to be included.
        The Padres were 5.5 games behind SF right before the deadline, 6 games up in the WC and only 3 games behind LA with a favorable schedule looming. The deadline was pretty emotionally draining. Hosmer was said to be going, Myers possibly Paddack as well. With Gallo, Gibson, Scherzer, Berrios et all heading to SD. Not only did the Padres fail to add a starting arm, their team was somewhat deflated--you could feel it, then the very next game Tatis goes down. Darvish and Paddack follow a week or so later. The Padres have been using BP games 3 out of 5 starts. the wear is showing.

From the time I mentioned above, the Padres have gone 10-14 Sf, LA and CINN have gone 18-7, 17-7 and 18-8 respectively.

It's ALL on the Padres and their pitching.

Preller just signed a 5 year extension. he's not going anywhere. Tingler is his guy, so he's safe. Schumacher, Kirby and Dickerson are all safe.

Rothchild was the only guy who had been rumored to be on the hot seat, I don't know much about Fritz, the BP coach (now interim pitching coach) but he'd seem to be the only potential guy on the hot seat and I doubt that too as the Padre BP has really performed admirably given the situation.

I honestly think that if the padres can get Darvish and Paddack back this week, get Gore and Lamet up by Sept 1st, they can regain that #2 WC--if they do, they will have earned it.

BUT they have played LA tough this year, SF/Hou too. It all hinges on if they can get their starters back this series.
        It is the pitching which puts a lot of stress on the offense. No way do we see Gore in 2021. Arrieta unfortunately will pitch again. Hopefully he pitches well enough to keep them in the game. Pham needs to sit awhile—play Profar, Myers (mostly) in LF in the short term. They need to work in Kim more—he needs ABs, not just occasional pitch hitting.

Comment

• How do they trot Snell back out there in the 8th at like 110 pitches? Lost faith in the bullpen much? And they still havent pulled him at 120 pitches.

well he just made Bellinger look silly so what do I know.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pauly View Post
            How do they trot Snell back out there in the 8th at like 110 pitches? Lost faith in the bullpen much? And they still havent pulled him at 120 pitches.

well he just made Bellinger look silly so what do I know.
            This post brought to you by Kevin Cash

Comment

• In what has to be the longest extra-inning game in the "runner starts at 2B" era, the Dodgers finally beat the Padres 5-3 in 16 innings. In 10 straight half-innings where a runner started the inning at 2B, noone scored. Dodgers used 9 relievers and the Padres used 8. Several runners were thrown out at home trying to score. From the 10th thru the 14th, there was only 1 hit. Supposedly, a new MLB record for IBBs (8) was set.

Comment

• Padres 2 for 24 with RISP last night and 18 men left on base.

What a summer collapse by them. Reds firmly in driver's seat for second WC based on their very easy SoS rest of the way.

Comment

• Tingler kind of messed this one up. He forgot to double switch earlier in the extra inning affairs burning a hitter and leaving the pitchers spot up after Cronenworth. They IBBd Machado and Jake twice with 2 outs bringing up the pitchers spot where actual pitchers had to hit. I knew it was over after Camarena went back out for the 16th after giving up 2 in the 15th.

Exhausting game, but the Pads battled, as they do with LA.

They're just not as deep, hopefully Yu will have a good game today.

Snell looks like he's rounding back into form so there's that. And that smith HR in the 8th, hats off to him--he went up and hit that pitch, which was a good one, around his head.
                  If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Glad you're alive and awake after that marathon. Hey, my Brewers are doing their best to help you out!
                    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Brilliant outing by Musgrove tonite. CG shutout, 3 H (all singles), 2 BB, 9 K. Boy did the Padres need this one!

Comment

• If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                        - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Stay classy San Diego?

ETA: Well shucks…the game was in Arizona. Spoils the whole Anchorman reference, doesn’t it?
                          Last edited by ThatRogue; 09-02-2021, 10:03 AM.
                          2021 Auction Anatomy
                          2021 Keeper Decisions
                          2020 Auction Anatomy
                          2020 Pre-Auction
                          2015 Auction Anatomy
                          2014 Auction Anatomy
                          2011 Auction Anatomy

RotoJunkie Posts: 4,314
                          RotoJunkie Join Date: Jun 2001

Comment

• Padres are about to explode.

They will grab the wild card and steamroll into the division championship series.

I'll collect all bets in beer, bourbon or cigars

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Padres are about to explode.

They will grab the wild card and steamroll into the division championship series.

I'll collect all bets in beer, bourbon or cigars
                              Nothing like an enthusiastic fan.

Comment

• Originally posted by pitbull View Post
                                Nothing like an enthusiastic fan.
                                Exactly

Last edited by GwynnInTheHall; 09-05-2021, 01:22 PM.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Working...
                                X