No announcement yet.

2K24: San Diego Padres

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In just his 5th ML start (vs Ms), Paddack: 7 IPs, 9 Ks, 1 H, 1 BB, 0 ER, ERA down to 1.67. This kid looks special.
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
      In just his 5th ML start (vs Ms), Paddack: 7 IPs, 9 Ks, 1 H, 1 BB, 0 ER, ERA down to 1.67. This kid looks special.
      0.67 WHIP. 30Ks and just 8 BB in 27 IP. 2.75 FIP! And that includes the bad start where he had 4 walks in 3.2 IP. He can be even better than this.

He's ridiculously good at this point. We'll see how quickly the league catches up and how he adjusts.
      Last edited by Ken; 04-24-2019, 04:44 PM.

Comment

• He has incredible movement on his off speed pitches and wide variety of speeds. His FB reaches mid 90's plus.

Nice home park too, now if he could just get a bit of run support.

And apparently he was dealing with the flu and temperature around 100.
        Last edited by harmon; 04-25-2019, 08:23 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
          0.67 WHIP. 30Ks and just 8 BB in 27 IP. 2.75 FIP! And that includes the bad start where he had 4 walks in 3.2 IP. He can be even better than this.

He's ridiculously good at this point. We'll see how quickly the league catches up and how he adjusts.
          Just 10 Hits Allowed in 27 IP. That's crazy.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
            Just 10 Hits Allowed in 27 IP. That's crazy.
            You make a good point - the .138 BABIP is going to go wayyyy up.

Comment

You make a good point - the .138 BABIP is going to go wayyyy up.
              He only allowed 123 hits in 178 minor league innings also, so I guess he has a knack for low BABIPs!

Comment

• He went for $18 in this years NL only auction. At the time he seemed a bit overpriced, now not so much.

Comment

He only allowed 123 hits in 178 minor league innings also, so I guess he has a knack for low BABIPs!
                  I don't discount that there's some skill in BABIP control for a pitcher, however he's still way outside the boundaries of the reasonable range. In the minors he was suppressing hits for sure, but still gave up a .260 BABIP. Probably need to double that .138 BABIP, giving him 10 more hits allowed, to get into the range where we can accept it as reasonable.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                    He went for $18 in this years NL only auction. At the time he seemed a bit overpriced, now not so much.
                    I paid $21 in my keeper league with the idea that if everything breaks right I'm still keeping him at that price.

Comment

• Tatis to the DL, Quantrill being recalled

Comment

• It's Paddack day

Comment

It's Paddack day
                          And he continues to pitch like an ace.

Comment

And he continues to pitch like an ace.
                            Agree, still waiting for him to struggle to see how he adjusts, but the adjustment period has not been necessary yet. He allowed 5 baserunners in 6 IP last night and his WHIP went up to .697, a value which is not only the best among qualifield starters, it's best by a good margin (over half a standard deviation).

The .235 BABIP from last night was the highest he's given up. I keep expecting that number to rise, and granted, it is significantly higher than the .075 from his prior two outings, but it's still suppressed. It takes 2000 balls in play for a pitcher's BABIP to stabalize, so in reality we won't know for sure if this is skill based or variance for a couple years (although at this point it seems clear he has at least some BABIP suppression skill)

Comment

• Strahm as looked strong in his last few outings.

I know it's still early, but at this rate, the Pads will be in contention and will have to make some hard decisions with their starting staff by year's end. Paddack, Strahm, Lauer, Lucchesi and Margevicius are ALL on inings caps (Lucchesi and Lauer have the most latitude). If they'e in contention in September, what to do? Hope Kuechel is still around? Garrett Richards and Denelson Lemet have very small chances they may be back before EOY.

Regardless, this team has been a joy to watch. They are playing with passion and the fans are buying in - it'll be interesting to see if this weekend's Dodger series at Petco is filled with Doyer fans (as it typically has been). Tonight and Saturday are sell outs.

From what I hear Tatis should be back when the 10 days are up, so it looks like he avoided major injury. If that were me, I'd be singing falsetto for a while.

Comment

• Not a single word about Franchy in weeks...any local scuttle?

Comment

Working...
                                X