2K24: San Diego Padres

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Friarfan View Post
    He can. He is talented but he makes boneheaded mistakes. He is just very raw. It would be ideal if he could emerge as their every day CF and move Myers to left and Reyes in Right.
    It's not just boneheaded mistakes. He can't judge a fly ball---his routes are terrible. In his favor, given his speed, he's no worse in center than in a corner OF position, so if he plays, he might as well play center. Some great plays, some really funny scatter-plots for lots of plays.

Comment

• Socrates Brito now a Padre. Speculating that perhaps Pads are looking to trade an OF for a SP and see Brito as a bench bat to fill the void.

Comment

• Originally posted by FBP View Post
        Socrates Brito now a Padre. Speculating that perhaps Pads are looking to trade an OF for a SP and see Brito as a bench bat to fill the void.
        How about something like Renfroe, Urias and Morejon for Bauer.

"Renfroe" just sounds more like a Cleveland name than a SD name.

Comment

I'm downright giddy to start this year. Quick position by position synopsis: {edited for space}

The Franimal - Reyes is a beast. And a very likable guy. He takes direction well: after a hot start then the MLB pitchers figuring him out last year, he went down to work on some things (strike zone command) he came back and was arguably their best offensive player in the second half. He will challenge Judge and Stanton for longest homer of the year. I'm pulling for the guy.

Cordero - Might have the most raw talent of the bunch but very undisciplined. Could start the year in El Paso and get moved up if they make a move to unload an OFer for a starting pitcher.

Overall - The Jankowski broker wrist makes things the tiniest bit clearer - although he's more of a role player. Lots of potential in this bunch.

Catcher -Dare I say another "bright spot"?

Mejia hits the ball very hard every time he is up. He'll emerge as your "every day" starter. And by "every day" I mean 3-4 times per week. With Hedges seemingly finding some consistency at the bat, you can' count him out. Hedges is the best defensive catcher in baseball. Period. His pitchers love him. That's hard to overlook. Mejia has a very above average arm but is behind Hedges in all other aspects behind the plate.

Starting Pitching - here's where things may take a nose dive. Lots of potential here, but no proven major leaguers...

Eric Laurer - Gets the opening day nod as he had a fantastic spring. Not much more of a back of the rotation guy, IMO. He's your prototypical "Crafty Lefty".

Joey "Fuego" Lucchesi - Love this kid's grit and makeup. Deceptive delivery. Barring injury, he'll be the most reliable starter this year.

Chris Paddack - Being talked about like he's the second coming of Andy Benes here in San Diego (Hey, we don't have a lot to brag about here). Post TJ phenom in AA last year and has lived up to the hype this spring (see Paddack thread)

Matt Strahm - Has showed signs of dominance and gives the Pads a very left-handed rotation. The Pads really need for him to succeed and bridge the gap between this year and the future (all of the aces waiting in the minors - .
          I have suddenly found myself as the Padres biggest fan. I had Franchy from early last season until he got hurt, then slashed him as a keeper for this year. Then I found Franmil late in our PONY draft this year, and like what he brings. Pitching. Well I had Lucchesi as another carryover and he was an easy keeper... then I picked up Strahm late in our auction followed my Lauer in our Reserve draft. I honestly did not plan on getting 3 of the 5 starters with the Padres, but now that I have them, like I said, I'm a big fan. What's the alternative? Drop them? I like these three lefthanders potential and Ill be cherring them on. You can do your best at auction planning, but then end up with several strays. I could have probably drafted better, but here I am. I do have Kluber and Syndergaard, so I'm not crying too hard. I have mlb.tv and I'm usually up very late, so I'll be watching (and praying) for the Padres to do well. They start the season home against the Giants, so they (we) might be able to get off to a good start. Maybe by the ASB I'll look like a hero, not a zero, but only time will tell.

Comment

• Originally posted by minnehan View Post
            I have suddenly found myself as the Padres biggest fan. I had Franchy from early last season until he got hurt, then slashed him as a keeper for this year. Then I found Franmil late in our PONY draft this year, and like what he brings. Pitching. Well I had Lucchesi as another carryover and he was an easy keeper... then I picked up Strahm late in our auction followed my Lauer in our Reserve draft. I honestly did not plan on getting 3 of the 5 starters with the Padres, but now that I have them, like I said, I'm a big fan. What's the alternative? Drop them? I like these three lefthanders potential and Ill be cherring them on. You can do your best at auction planning, but then end up with several strays. I could have probably drafted better, but here I am. I do have Kluber and Syndergaard, so I'm not crying too hard. I have mlb.tv and I'm usually up very late, so I'll be watching (and praying) for the Padres to do well. They start the season home against the Giants, so they (we) might be able to get off to a good start. Maybe by the ASB I'll look like a hero, not a zero, but only time will tell.
            If Kluber does OK against the Twins (not the world's toughest matchup) and your team's first 5 or 6 starts are from Kikuchi (already did good), 3 Padres against the terrible Giants, and Kluber... that could be a heck of a start.

For what it's worth, the Fangraphs team is being very aggressive in their Franimal projection:

I’ve taken quite a bit of heat by giving Franmil Reyes a 600-plate appearance projection. The Padres have constantly hit him third or fourth. They aren’t going to sit one of their top bats just so worse hitters can play. With Myers also playing fulltime, Manual Margot, Hunter Renfroe, and Franchy Cordero will need to fight over the last outfield spot.

Comment

• Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
              If Kluber does OK against the Twins (not the world's toughest matchup) and your team's first 5 or 6 starts are from Kikuchi (already did good), 3 Padres against the terrible Giants, and Kluber... that could be a heck of a start.

For what it's worth, the Fangraphs team is being very aggressive in their Franimal projection:

https://fantasy.fangraphs.com/nation...up-analysis-3/
              Great! I have Margot and Franchy. But not to worry Myers will find himself back on the DL at some point.

Comment

• A bit surprised that Tatis is on the opening day roster. In my opinion, that speaks to their desire to win NOW and not worry about the service time issue.

Comment

A bit surprised that Tatis is on the opening day roster. In my opinion, that speaks to their desire to win NOW and not worry about the service time issue.
                  while the fans love it, its a terrible business move with the rules as is. Fans wouldve been fine bringing Tatis up on April 13 and the Padres get an extra year of control.
                  After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

• can't they just send him down in May if he doesn't hit, and accomplish the same thing?

if he hits, fantastic.
                    if not, no harm no foul.
                    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                      while the fans love it, its a terrible business move with the rules as is. Fans wouldve been fine bringing Tatis up on April 13 and the Padres get an extra year of control.
                      The key words being "with the rules as is". Maybe teams are starting to think that the arbitration clock will be a non-issue several years down the road after the new CBA is negotiated.
                      “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                        can't they just send him down in May if he doesn't hit, and accomplish the same thing?

if he hits, fantastic.
                        if not, no harm no foul.
                        If he doesnt hit, yes. What if he does hit? Does that somehow make it worth losing him for an extra year?

Whats the upside here for the Padres? Wasnt the fan base already energized? Do they think they have a shot in 2019 with that rotation?
                        After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                          If he doesnt hit, yes. What if he does hit? Does that somehow make it worth losing him for an extra year?

Whats the upside here for the Padres? Wasnt the fan base already energized? Do they think they have a shot in 2019 with that rotation?
                          Agreed...the Pads will be much better this seaon, but they won't be in contention for a playoff spot. So it's only good business to control a player for an additional year. And it's not like the Padres have any competition for the sports dollar in San Diego, they're the only game in town. People will come out regardless if Tatis is in the minors for another month...conversely, he's NOT going to put additional fannies in the seats, IMO.
                          "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                          - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                          -Warren Ellis

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                            Agreed...the Pads will be much better this seaon, but they won't be in contention for a playoff spot. So it's only good business to control a player for an additional year. And it's not like the Padres have any competition for the sports dollar in San Diego, they're the only game in town. People will come out regardless if Tatis is in the minors for another month...conversely, he's NOT going to put additional fannies in the seats, IMO.
                            Maybe they're working on a deal to lock him up through his arbitration years ala Eloy.
                            “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Watched the Padre Giant game. Tatis was impressive in that he did not seem overwhelmed. Very heady and a physical specimen. Machado struck out a couple of times and went hitless. Ur made some stellar defensive plays. Myers looked good defensively and offensively. They seem to know have an offense to be reckoned with but they are going to have to add a starter.

Comment

• Albeit against the lowly Giants, the Pads are off to a hot start with two back-to-back wins. Lauer and Lucchesi have looked sharp. I don't know a thing about this Margevicius kid suddenly pitching tomorrow, but so far, so good!

Comment

Working...
                                X