2K24: San Diego Padres

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by virgonomic View Post
    That is one of the filthiest rotations I have ever seen.
    and they have Clevinger on the DL all year

Comment

• In the back of my mind I'm remembering Fernando Tatis Sr. and Ruben Mateo coming up around the same time in the Rangers' system. If I'm remembering right they played together in spring training in 1998. Mateo was the can't miss 5 star prospect who broke his leg lunging trying to beat a throw to first in his age 22 season. He was never the same.

I wonder if that risk played any role in Tatis Jr. signing this deal pre-arb? Very likely not, but it was one of the first things I though of when this news broke.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
        In the back of my mind I'm remembering Fernando Tatis Sr. and Ruben Mateo coming up around the same time in the Rangers' system. If I'm remembering right they played together in spring training in 1998. Mateo was the can't miss 5 star prospect who broke his leg lunging trying to beat a throw to first in his age 22 season. He was never the same.

I wonder if that risk played any role in Tatis Jr. signing this deal pre-arb? Very likely not, but it was one of the first things I though of when this news broke.
        IDK if that specific injury was part of his thinking, but I'm sure injuries in general were. There has been many careers that turned out not as good as they could have been due to injuries. I forgot about Mateo's, though.

Comment

• Welp..make that 310 Million to Tatis Jr.

Fernando Tatís Jr. was 18 years old, just a low-level prospect from the Dominican Republic trying to work his way up in the San Diego Padres farm system, when he made a financial deal that would impact his entire baseball career. And it wasn’t with the Padres.

Tatís signed a contract with Big League Advance, an unusual investment fund that pays minor-league players money up front in exchange for a share of their future MLB earnings.

Tatís, now 22 and widely viewed as one of the sport’s best young stars, today knows what those earnings will be. He agreed to a record-setting 14-year contract with the Padres on Wednesday night worth an eye-popping $340 million, the third-highest total in MLB history.

His new contract also creates a significant obligation for Tatís: to pay a sizable chunk of his new bounty—perhaps close to $30 million—to Big League Advance.

Tatís’s arrangement is the most high-profile payday yet for Big League Advance and the unorthodox financial instrument it has created.

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
          - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
          -Warren Ellis

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
            Welp..make that 310 Million to Tatis Jr.

Fernando Tatís Jr. was 18 years old, just a low-level prospect from the Dominican Republic trying to work his way up in the San Diego Padres farm system, when he made a financial deal that would impact his entire baseball career. And it wasn’t with the Padres.

Tatís signed a contract with Big League Advance, an unusual investment fund that pays minor-league players money up front in exchange for a share of their future MLB earnings.

Tatís, now 22 and widely viewed as one of the sport’s best young stars, today knows what those earnings will be. He agreed to a record-setting 14-year contract with the Padres on Wednesday night worth an eye-popping $340 million, the third-highest total in MLB history.

His new contract also creates a significant obligation for Tatís: to pay a sizable chunk of his new bounty—perhaps close to $30 million—to Big League Advance.

Tatís’s arrangement is the most high-profile payday yet for Big League Advance and the unorthodox financial instrument it has created.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/fernand...732572?tesla=y
            Big League Advance is run by former Phillies reliever Michael Schwimer and uses analytics to determine the deals that they offer to prospects.

Here's another interesting read about them:
            https://www.si.com/mlb/2018/09/04/mi...eague-baseball
            “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
              Welp..make that 310 Million to Tatis Jr.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/fernand...732572?tesla=y
              Wow, I am surprised, given that his dad was a major leaguer and I would assume he was not in dire financial need, that he made such a deal.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                Wow, I am surprised, given that his dad was a major leaguer and I would assume he was not in dire financial need, that he made such a deal.
                plus he got a $700k signing bonus from the White Sox. So not sure why he felt he needed to sell of a chuck of his future. I think that the Big League Advance company preys on players from poor countries. But I guess that we don't hear about the players that get an advance and never make it to the majors. So I guess it works out for the players in most cases.

Comment

• Originally posted by cleo View Post
                  plus he got a $700k signing bonus from the White Sox. So not sure why he felt he needed to sell of a chuck of his future. I think that the Big League Advance company preys on players from poor countries. But I guess that we don't hear about the players that get an advance and never make it to the majors. So I guess it works out for the players in most cases.
                  He used it to upgrade his personal training facility and upgrade his living situation, and probably eat better. I agree that it seems strange that he should have needed to, but maybe he also just liked the business model and wanted to participate.

Comment

• Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                    He used it to upgrade his personal training facility and upgrade his living situation, and probably eat better. I agree that it seems strange that he should have needed to, but maybe he also just liked the business model and wanted to participate.
                    It's very common for professional athletes to be broke not long after their playing days are over. It would not be very surprising if that was the case here.

Comment

It's very common for professional athletes to be broke not long after their playing days are over. It would not be very surprising if that was the case here.
                      Are we still talking about Tatis? If so, some serious, epic proportion mismanagement would have to occur for him to be broke when he is done playing. Maybe Revo needs to reach out to the kid .

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                        Are we still talking about Tatis? If so, some serious, epic proportion mismanagement would have to occur for him to be broke when he is done playing. Maybe Revo needs to reach out to the kid .
                        Sorry I was referring to Tatis Sr. The premise was asking why Tatis Jr. would need a "loan" (which is basically what this comes down to), when his dad was a mlb player (with the idea I think being his family should have already had money). But I'm saying lots of pro athletes have a lot less than we expect after they retire.

I should have replied directly to this one:

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post

Comment

Sorry I was referring to Tatis Sr. The premise was asking why Tatis Jr. would need a "loan" (which is basically what this comes down to), when his dad was a mlb player (with the idea I think being his family should have already had money). But I'm saying lots of pro athletes have a lot less than we expect after they retire.

I should have replied directly to this one:
                          I don't know the details, but I thought is was more a hedge or insurance rather than a loan. What would have happened if Tatis was a bust and never made it to the majors ?
                          ---------------------------------------------
                          Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                          The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                            I don't know the details, but I thought is was more a hedge or insurance rather than a loan. What would have happened if Tatis was a bust and never made it to the majors ?
                            I know the details - they give you money *now*, and if you get a mlb contract you give them x% of that contract.

So maybe loan is a bad term.

Comment

• I was replying to Bene but can't find his comment now.

I don't think this is a scam. In fact I think it's a great option to give some minor league players. The majority of them never make it and never have to pay it back. Those who do make it and get huge contracts are effectively paying for those who don't.

Comment

I know the details - they give you money *now*, and if you get a mlb contract you give them x% of that contract.

So maybe loan is a bad term.
                                and if you don't get a MLB contract hopefully they don't have to pay back anything? I would hope that is part of the deal
                                Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                                The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Working...
                                X