2K24: San Diego Padres

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
    No, once Capps is activated he'll be given every chance to become the closer.

Why else would they even have him on the roster?

I've been pretty spot on in Padreland.

Capps will close if he doesn't just implode.
    Interesting. Since Maurer ended last year as the closer and had done well this year I figured they would leave well enough alone. As a guy who has Capps for $2 in my NL-Only I hope you're right!

Comment

• Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
      Interesting. Since Maurer ended last year as the closer and had done well this year I figured they would leave well enough alone. As a guy who has Capps for $2 in my NL-Only I hope you're right!
      The Padres are holding auditions this season and trying to pass it off as actually trying to compete. They acquired Capps to be their eventual closer and as well as Maurer has done, he and the back end of that BP have all been mentioned as possible traded candidates both in Spring Training and should be again once the deadline approaches.

To Revos mention of Weaver, yes even Weaver has a reason to be on the roster--to suck up innings and allow whomever the Padres are grooming in their system time to mature and help in 2019. That's it. If he builds some value (or any of the other arms outside Perdomo, Diaz or Capps) They'll be flipped at the deadline and a new set of crap will take the mound second half of the season.

BTW, Hedges is making some of these rag arms look halfway decent. He should be the next Yadi Molina. Some scouts already think he is.
      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Ryan Schimpf apparently responds well to threats to his P/T
        Last 6 games: 4 hrs, 3 bb, 5 ks

He now has 12 total hits on the season, 7 HRs
        people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

• Originally posted by Controller Jacobs View Post
          Ryan Schimpf apparently responds well to threats to his P/T
          Last 6 games: 4 hrs, 3 bb, 5 ks

He now has 12 total hits on the season, 7 HRs
          He's on pace for 40+ HRs 100+ walks and a .140 Avg.
          If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
          Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Spangenberg and his .653 OPS is still breathing.

J
            Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• Padres/Dodgers postponed because of that crappy San Diego weather.
              “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Ryan Schimpf, as reported by others, seems to be responding to competition as he's hit his 9th HR of the year tonight.

In other news, the Padres traded for Matt Szczur and he should see plenty of time on the OF as he slots immediately into the starting line up.

Blash and others have been found wanting.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Don't see Szuzr starting. Perhaps a bench bat and late inning replacement in LF or CF as Green seems to double switch a lot.

Comment

• Originally posted by FBP View Post
                    Don't see Szuzr starting. Perhaps a bench bat and late inning replacement in LF or CF as Green seems to double switch a lot.
                    Who do you see starting?

I'm going off of what Preller said about the fact they've been trying to trade for him since March and that all the guy needs is an opportunity to succeed and take that to mean he'll start plus I like what Szczur has done defensively in comparison to those currently platooning (Blash, Cordoba and Spang) in the OF.

Green does DS a lot, but with the pitching staff set up the way it is, that's a given.

I could be wrong, but I really can't see them doing anything else but starting the guy until he proves that he doesn't deserve to or until Jank/Dickerson return from the DL.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Who do you see starting?

I'm going off of what Preller said about the fact they've been trying to trade for him since March and that all the guy needs is an opportunity to succeed and take that to mean he'll start plus I like what Szczur has done defensively in comparison to those currently platooning (Blash, Cordoba and Spang) in the OF.

Green does DS a lot, but with the pitching staff set up the way it is, that's a given.

I could be wrong, but I really can't see them doing anything else but starting the guy until he proves that he doesn't deserve to or until Jank/Dickerson return from the DL.
                      BTW, my Polish wife says the proper pronunciation of his name is not "Cee-zur" but "Sker." And it's meaning? Rat. Matt the Rat!

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                        BTW, my Polish wife says the proper pronunciation of his name is not "Cee-zur" but "Sker." And it's meaning? Rat. Matt the Rat!
                        We're loving the Vermin in So Cal!

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

We're loving the Vermin in So Cal!
                          I think he's likely one of those players who is better in real baseball than fantasy. He's a 4th or 5th OFer on a good team, or even when the Padres are fully healthy. He's never shown any sustained power, and the speed he had in the minors did not translate to MLB.

So, like you indicated, he's a guy to like as a fan of the padres, or as a 5th OFer/bench bat in NL only in the short term while he's getting ABs.

Comment

• Doesnt Carter Capps need to be activated by 5/12?
                            After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                              Doesnt Carter Capps need to be activated by 5/12?
                              The hard-throwing right-hander is coming off Tommy John surgery and began his rehab assignment last month. But he struggled for Triple-A El Paso, and the Padres will likely request an extension of his rehab stint. Typically, pitchers are allowed 30 days on rehab before a decision must be made on a callup. But the collective bargaining agreement allows for teams to request up to three extensions for pitchers who are recovering from Tommy John surgery -- which can be a volatile process.

Coverage includes audio and video clips, interviews, statistics, schedules and exclusive stories.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
                                I think he's likely one of those players who is better in real baseball than fantasy. He's a 4th or 5th OFer on a good team, or even when the Padres are fully healthy. He's never shown any sustained power, and the speed he had in the minors did not translate to MLB.

So, like you indicated, he's a guy to like as a fan of the padres, or as a 5th OFer/bench bat in NL only in the short term while he's getting ABs.
                                You are correct, he's a boon to Padre fans because he might mean a couple more wins or closer loses (defense has been an issue in the OF since Jank got hurt) , but outside NL only leagues he has no real upside on a roster.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Working...
                                X