2K24: San Diego Padres

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
    Isn't the 75% efficacy based on preventing symptoms and not contraction of the virus.

My understanding (granted I could be missing some critical information), is that the vaccines were created for the explicit purpose of preventing symptomatic Covid infection. In other words, you can still be infected, but you'd be asymptomatic (similar to what many were naturally).

A positive side effect is that asymptomatic individuals (or at least those vaccinated) transmit COVID less. https://theconversation.com/mounting...is-work-160437

So, the way I understand the numbers I don't agree with the explanation quoted above about encountering 4 individuals. I don't think that 75% efficacy does that. It prevents symptoms in 75%, but it doesn't prevent those people from *getting* the virus (and, in baseball terms, going on COVID IL).
    That's not quite right either. Here's the actual explanation:

All of the F.D.A.-authorized vaccines offer strong protection against Covid-19, and assessing their efficacy isn’t as simple as a head-to-head comparison.
    2021 Auction Anatomy
    2021 Keeper Decisions
    2020 Auction Anatomy
    2020 Pre-Auction
    2015 Auction Anatomy
    2014 Auction Anatomy
    2011 Auction Anatomy

RotoJunkie Posts: 4,314
    RotoJunkie Join Date: Jun 2001

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
      Yup. The JNJ vaccine was 75% effective, so basically that means if he encountered 4 covid infected individuals, he stood a good chance of getting it. Since he's in close contact with many, this is not that surprising unfortunately.

I may be wrong (probably am, lol)...but I think it is a comparison to non-vaccinated people for efficiency. Even people without vaccine would not neccessarily be infected if they encountered 4 covid infected individuals. It would depend on duration, air flow, level of interaction, etc. So the 75% is a reduction in transmission compared to unvaccinated people(or transmission resulting in symptoms ?) , and since un-vaccinated people would not get COVID 100% of the time in the situation you describe the vaccinated person would not be likely to be infected just because they met 4 people with COVID. IF i have this wrong I am sure someone will set me straight.

EDIT: I think this is in line with what ThatRogue just posted.
      ---------------------------------------------
      Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by ThatRogue View Post
        That's not quite right either. Here's the actual explanation:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...ronavirus.html
        Good article thank you.

Comment

Okay…don’t buy it. There are a lot of people who are not convinced this vaccine is safe. I’m not suggesting they’re right or wrong…just that they exist.
          I know they exist. But the reason is a lot less about fear of the unknown and more the fear of expulsion from their political party.

Comment

I know they exist. But the reason is a lot less about fear of the unknown and more the fear of expulsion from their political party.
            Fear of expulsion at the top yes, blind fealty at the bottom

Comment

Oh my! Didn't expect all the biological discussion in a padre thread
              Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
              The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                We're good as long as a mod doesn't see any of this.

Comment

Again, an assumption. There are a number of people on social media who don’t lean “Right” yet express significant concerns about the vaccine.
                  2021 Auction Anatomy
                  2021 Keeper Decisions
                  2020 Auction Anatomy
                  2020 Pre-Auction
                  2015 Auction Anatomy
                  2014 Auction Anatomy
                  2011 Auction Anatomy

Comment

There are certainly a lot of “drones” who follow party lines without question. They’ll easily believe the most far-fetched conspiracies without flinching…but argue against facts without ceasing. I once showed a guy an official document from the previous President’s administration which proved my point and disproved theirs…and they replied “well, there are other sources you should consider”…then proceeded to direct me to a hodgepodge of information that compiled data in a way that didn’t conform to the argument they were making. It was frustrating beyond belief.
                    2021 Auction Anatomy
                    2021 Keeper Decisions
                    2020 Auction Anatomy
                    2020 Pre-Auction
                    2015 Auction Anatomy
                    2014 Auction Anatomy
                    2011 Auction Anatomy

Comment

• Originally posted by ken View Post
                      we're good as long as a mod doesn't see any of this.
                      Oops…lol!!!
                      2021 Auction Anatomy
                      2021 Keeper Decisions
                      2020 Auction Anatomy
                      2020 Pre-Auction
                      2015 Auction Anatomy
                      2014 Auction Anatomy
                      2011 Auction Anatomy

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                        You see, the padre has both an X and a Y chromosome. And also the padre of biology is Aristotle. And a large group of mantas is called a pod-ray.
                        More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

That’s dangerous thinking.
                          Dude, you just posted a video from some nutbag (apologies, Mr. Haniger) talking about how the vaccines are governmental genocide and......I'm the one with dangerous thinking? Lol, no. And suffice to say that private enterprise most certainly can mandate vaccinations of its employees, thank god. These things don't occur in a vacuum - we live in a society among other people and the foolish "concerns" of those railing on about genocide and refusing to vaccinate have real world consequences for those who never subscribed to their conspiratorial nonsense in the first place. It's like people that are "concerned" about wearing seatbelts and refuse to do so --- which is stupid, but generally fine --- except their refusal to wear seatbelts causes other, normal people to have their own seatbelts fly off. And actually poses a risk to the most vulnerable, sick, elderly, very young, and others that they might also get injured because of the initial seatbelt denier. There are consequences for conspiratorial "concerns" when public health is at issue.
                          More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

Again, an assumption. There are a number of people on social media who don’t lean “Right” yet express significant concerns about the vaccine.
                            Lean right--Padres thread...Hang right, Mariners thread...
                            If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                            Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                              Lean right--Padres thread...Hang right, Mariners thread...
                              Hang Ten, Daniel Norris thread.

Comment

Hang Ten, Daniel Norris thread.
                                Antonio Alfonseca might be able to give you a hand with that.
                                If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                                Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Working...
                                X