No announcement yet.

2K24: San Diego Padres

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• With the vax now open to folks as young as 12, why are some of these guys not getting it? This is getting ridiculous.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
      7th inning was even more exhausting....but a happy ending
      Yeah Robot Umps can't get here soon enough.
      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
        With the vax now open to folks as young as 12, why are some of these guys not getting it? This is getting ridiculous.
        Vax doesn't prevent you from getting covid, are you sure they aren't vaccinated?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
          are you sure they aren't vaccinated?
          They haven't mentioned it and specifically have stated, they won't unless the player allows that info to be shared.
          If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
          Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
            They haven't mentioned it and specifically have stated, they won't unless the player allows that info to be shared.
            agreed, I wouldn't assume those who are testing positive aren't vaccinated.

We've had employees at work test positive after Vax (we test 3x a week here)

Comment

• The Yankee broadcasters mentioned that Phil Nevin was vaccinated and still got COVID.
              I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

With the vax now open to folks as young as 12, why are some of these guys not getting it? This is getting ridiculous.
                Some people don’t get it because it was developed faster than any vaccine in history, bypassing a number of the normal testing procedures. Additionally, medications that have been fully approved by the FDA and on the market for years have numerous side effects (watch the disclaimers on any drug commercial). I understand the desire to have things back to normal, but I also understand why some people are cautious about getting this vaccine.
                2021 Auction Anatomy
                2021 Keeper Decisions
                2020 Auction Anatomy
                2020 Pre-Auction
                2015 Auction Anatomy
                2014 Auction Anatomy
                2011 Auction Anatomy

RotoJunkie Posts: 4,314
                RotoJunkie Join Date: Jun 2001

Comment

• Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                  The Yankee broadcasters mentioned that Phil Nevin was vaccinated and still got COVID.
                  Yup. The JNJ vaccine was 75% effective, so basically that means if he encountered 4 covid infected individuals, he stood a good chance of getting it. Since he's in close contact with many, this is not that surprising unfortunately.

Some people don’t get it because it was developed faster than any vaccine in history, bypassing a number of the normal testing procedures. Additionally, medications that have been fully approved by the FDA and on the market for years have numerous side effects (watch the disclaimers on any drug commercial). I understand the desire to have things back to normal, but I also understand why some people are cautious about getting this vaccine.
                  This coming from a group who would readily stick PEDs in their arms, that could not only give them side effects but shorten their life? No, I'm not buying this.

Comment

Yup. The JNJ vaccine was 75% effective, so basically that means if he encountered 4 covid infected individuals, he stood a good chance of getting it. Since he's in close contact with many, this is not that surprising unfortunately.
                    I thought it meant that if a COVID-19 infected individual came into contact with four vaccinated people, the odds are that one of them will get it.

Originally posted by revo View Post
                    This coming from a group who would readily stick PEDs in their arms, that could not only give them side effects but shorten their life? No, I'm not buying this.
                    Okay…don’t buy it. There are a lot of people who are not convinced this vaccine is safe. I’m not suggesting they’re right or wrong…just that they exist.
                    2021 Auction Anatomy
                    2021 Keeper Decisions
                    2020 Auction Anatomy
                    2020 Pre-Auction
                    2015 Auction Anatomy
                    2014 Auction Anatomy
                    2011 Auction Anatomy

Comment

• You also have those who are heavily pushing this narrative: https://www.instagram.com/tv/COujLmJ...d=pjuapotaos8p
                      2021 Auction Anatomy
                      2021 Keeper Decisions
                      2020 Auction Anatomy
                      2020 Pre-Auction
                      2015 Auction Anatomy
                      2014 Auction Anatomy
                      2011 Auction Anatomy

Comment

• Originally posted by ThatRogue View Post
                        You also have those who are heavily pushing this narrative: https://www.instagram.com/tv/COujLmJ...d=pjuapotaos8p
                        Those people are called "idiots". Obviously baseball is not immune from the same idiocy. In my opinion, a baseball player who refuses to get a vaccine should not be permitted to play in front of fans who may have to pay the price for his stupidity. They all can have fun with their foolish conspiracies sitting at home not endangering other, reasonable people. Edit: Lmao, apparently Marvin Hagler died from getting the vaccine. There is no bottom for these conspiracy nuts. Why did I watch that video? I must be a masochist.
                        Last edited by Bene Futuis; 05-13-2021, 02:08 PM.
                        More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                          Yeah Robot Umps can't get here soon enough.
                          No kidding. I've seen some really, really egregious calls this year. Happened in the Pads-Dodgers series earlier where the Dodgers got a couple really favorable calls early and then the umps decided to balance the effect and made similarly awful calls in favor of the Padres later. Mookie Betts just got squeezed on a called strike three in a bases loaded situation that should have been a walk and RBI. I mean, what's the rationale for not having robot umps anyway? Just tradition?
                          More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
                            I mean, what's the rationale for not having robot umps anyway? Just tradition?
                            T2 rise of the machines !
                            ---------------------------------------------
                            Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                            ---------------------------------------------
                            The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
                              Those people are called "idiots". Obviously baseball is not immune from the same idiocy. In my opinion, a baseball player who refuses to get a vaccine should not be permitted to play in front of fans who may have to pay the price for his stupidity. They all can have fun with their foolish conspiracies sitting at home not endangering other, reasonable people.
                              That’s dangerous thinking. You can be concerned about a vaccine without being a conspiracy theorist. And, as I recall, the players are paid to come to work…they signed a contract. Fans choose to come to be entertained. In reality, the fans can stay home…the players can’t. Perhaps unvaccinated players should have to wear masks and adhere to other safety protocols…but I don’t know that you can force them to get a vaccine, especially one released under an EUA rather than final approval.
                              2021 Auction Anatomy
                              2021 Keeper Decisions
                              2020 Auction Anatomy
                              2020 Pre-Auction
                              2015 Auction Anatomy
                              2014 Auction Anatomy
                              2011 Auction Anatomy

Comment

Isn't the 75% efficacy based on preventing symptoms and not contraction of the virus.

My understanding (granted I could be missing some critical information), is that the vaccines were created for the explicit purpose of preventing symptomatic Covid infection. In other words, you can still be infected, but you'd be asymptomatic (similar to what many were naturally).

A positive side effect is that asymptomatic individuals (or at least those vaccinated) transmit COVID less. https://theconversation.com/mounting...is-work-160437

So, the way I understand the numbers I don't agree with the explanation quoted above about encountering 4 individuals. I don't think that 75% efficacy does that. It prevents symptoms in 75%, but it doesn't prevent those people from *getting* the virus (and, in baseball terms, going on COVID IL).

Comment

Working...
                                X