CIA Reports To Torture or Not.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
    That is not a question. That is a statement with a "?" at the end. It is also an incorrect statement.

J
    Ahh Jay, It has been so long that I forgot you are not very adept at the Art of Conversation. Many things in a dialogue must be taken in the full context of the conversation rather than one line at a time, which is all you seem to do. Things like sarcasm, innuendo, and of course..Humor seem to slip right by you. But hey that's cool, the world is full of people who are better at one thing or another than we are.

Let's get back to the topic at hand.

Do you think torture is EVER justified?
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
      Yeah but they're not the same thing, they're not even close to the same thing. You can't you conflate the everyday desire to protect your kids with the fundamental principles of liberal democracy. Our society is based on principles that are specifically designed to counter and rise above base desires and passion. Constitutions, Rights Charters, the Justice system are in place specifically for this reason. If we surrender those, as we have done, and continue to do, we cannot claim to live in a free democratic society.

Projecting from our own experiences of day-to-day life to the general qualities that have to govern societies is not a valid comparison. That is why civil rights and human rights charters have to rise above this. Saying, I love my family more than X or Y and I'll do anything to protect them, and because of that it's OK for society to treat other society's in a similar manner is anti-everything that makes out society free and democratic. It's a conflation that reminds me a lot of 19th century Social Darwinism.
      I agree with this so I'm not sure why you're responding as if I am in disagreement. I explicitly stated that one's personal valuations of life should not be used to create social policy. However, to pretend that individuals don't value some lives more than others, or that they're wrong in doing so, is absurd.
      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
      - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
        I agree with this so I'm not sure why you're responding as if I am in disagreement. I explicitly stated that one's personal valuations of life should not be used to create social policy. However, to pretend that individuals don't value some lives more than others, or that they're wrong in doing so, is absurd.
        It's not absurd if you're striving toward the utopian society where all lives matter equally.

And I'd also say that though some or even most people value lives differently, not everyone does.
        Last edited by GwynnInTheHall; 12-12-2014, 09:07 PM.
        If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
        Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
          Ahh Jay, It has been so long that I forgot you are not very adept at the Art of Conversation. Many things in a dialogue must be taken in the full context of the conversation rather than one line at a time, which is all you seem to do. Things like sarcasm, innuendo, and of course..Humor seem to slip right by you. But hey that's cool, the world is full of people who are better at one thing or another than we are.

Let's get back to the topic at hand.

Do you think torture is EVER justified?
          A question instead of telling me what I think. It's progress.

The answer is yes. It is possible to conceive of an occasion where torture is justified.

J
          Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

A question instead of telling me what I think. It's progress.

The answer is yes. It is possible to conceive of an occasion where torture is justified.

J
            What occasion would that be Jack Bauer?

BTW, I'd never try and tell you what you think...........because I don't believe you actually do it much.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

If the fate of the human race depended on it.

As Spock would say, the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

J
              Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

J
                Except Spock would know that the Vulcan mind meld would be infinitely more effective to get the info than torture.

#IDIC #treknerd
                "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

J
                  So then, do you denounce the CIA for using torture in a non extinction situation?

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

So then, do you denounce the CIA for using torture in a non extinction situation?
                    Work with me.

Do you acknowledge that there is a point where torture becomes morally acceptable?

J
                    Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                      Except Spock would know that the Vulcan mind meld would be infinitely more effective to get the info than torture.

#IDIC #treknerd
                      You are talking context, not absolutes.

J
                      Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Work with me.

Do you acknowledge that there is a point where torture becomes morally acceptable?

J
                        No there isn't, so I won't and you didn't answer the question so i'll pose it again..........do you denounce the CIA for using torture in a non extinction situation?

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                          One of Obama's greatest accomplishments and the one I am by far the proudest about was that he immediately ended the torture regime instituted by George W. Bush before him. Pretty much everything else he's done on the topic, from praising the psychopaths in the intelligence community as "heroes" and "patriots" to pretty much stalling and refusing everything his crappy administration possibly could regarding this torture report, is pathetic.

It was good to end some of the practices of the Bush administration for sure, but in my mind there are still some questions about whether we ended torture. The treatment of the hunger strikers at Guantanamo (forced feeding, but at least it wasn't rectal !) and Bradley, now Chelsea, Manning are not something I'm proud of. I'm still not sure about extraordinary rendition and if we are just having other countries doing are dirty work or not.

When we prosecute one of the whistleblowers on torture, and don't prosecute the torturers themselves, how is there any incentive for anyone to speak up if torture is continuing ? Who is going to give up there life to point it out if torture occurs if they will just ruin their life, and the torturers will have no consequences ?
                          ---------------------------------------------
                          Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                          ---------------------------------------------
                          The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                            It was good to end some of the practices of the Bush administration for sure, but in my mind there are still some questions about whether we ended torture. The treatment of the hunger strikers at Guantanamo (forced feeding, but at least it wasn't rectal !) and Bradley, now Chelsea, Manning are not something I'm proud of. I'm still not sure about extraordinary rendition and if we are just having other countries doing are dirty work or not.

When we prosecute one of the whistleblowers on torture, and don't prosecute the torturers themselves, how is there any incentive for anyone to speak up if torture is continuing ? Who is going to give up there life to point it out if torture occurs if they will just ruin their life, and the torturers will have no consequences ?
                            Agreed...Obama's administration has an absolutely atrocious record on targeting whistle blowers.
                            If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                            - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

No there isn't, so I won't and you didn't answer the question so i'll pose it again..........do you denounce the CIA for using torture in a non extinction situation?
                              If you do not acknowledge that torture is acceptable in a genocide situation, then the conversation is over. We have no point of contact.

J
                              Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

If you do not acknowledge that torture is acceptable in a genocide situation, then the conversation is over. We have no point of contact.

J
                                You said human race, not one segment of it. Genocide is horrible but not the same as saving all of humanity. I'd ask you if you would acknowledge the difference, but you'd again find a way out of having to answer the hard question. You obviously agree with what the CIA did but just don't want to be eviscerated soooooo....

I will try to find some links for you to a free online English comp, that's short for comprehension, class so that you might be better armed going forward.

Until then could you surround your posts with two blue lines, just like those parking spaces at the front of the stores...... Ps that's a joke.

Pss that's still a chicken shit way to get out of answering the question.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Working...
                                X