College Football Playoff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• College Football Playoff

It's down to the wire and I see seven teams still with a legitimate shot at the playoff:

So last night Oregon trounced Arizona virtually assuring its spot in the innaugural playoff.

TCU was ranked third last week and are showing impressively against Iowa State. The Committee said head to head matters but it would take a major reversal of course to flip flop TCU and Baylor even though Baylor won H2H. That could be moot if Kansas State beats Baylor today but if Baylor wins it could get very interesting.

Alabama has a clear shot at another spot. Win today over Mizzou and they're in for sure. Lose and it gets a little dicey but doesn't guarantee they are out.

FSU has looked terrible of late and face a hot Goergia Tech squad fresh off a big win over their in-state rivals. Serious upset potential in this one. If GT pulls it off FSU is definitely out. If FSU wins close there's a chance they get jumped by a one-loss Baylor or OSU despite the perfect record and deservedly so.

Ohio State is on their third-string QB now and playing a tough Wisconsin team in the Big Ten CG tonight. A win and they're right in the convo depending what happens with Baylor and FSU. Lose and they have no chance.

The dark horse here is Kansas State. Win today and they share the Big 12 title with TCU (despite a H2H loss). Their only losses would be TCU and Auburn with wins at Oklahoma and at Baylor. It might take some cards falling ahead of them (probably both FSU and OSU losing) but both are very possible. IF it were to go down that way I see KSU as the only two-loss team with a chance as they could join Bama, Oregon and TCU.

Originally posted by Trautdiggity View Post
    It's down to the wire and I see seven teams still with a legitimate shot at the playoff:
    FSU has looked terrible of late and face a hot Goergia Tech squad fresh off a big win over their in-state rivals. Serious upset potential in this one. If GT pulls it off FSU is definitely out. If FSU wins close there's a chance they get jumped by a one-loss Baylor or OSU despite the perfect record and deservedly so.
    This is just a ridiculous statement. If the Noles win, they are in no matter what. If they are undefeated defending National Champs and arent in, CFB will officially be on the same dumb level as Olympic gymnastics or figure skating. This is why CFB is so terrible - not only do you have to win, but you have to be "impressive" when you do it.

Same goes for Baylor. If TCU gets in over Baylor (provided Baylor wins tonight) it will be the second stupidest thing ever.

Full disclosure: Im an FSU grad.

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly View Post
      This is just a ridiculous statement. If the Noles win, they are in no matter what. If they are undefeated defending National Champs and arent in, CFB will officially be on the same dumb level as Olympic gymnastics or figure skating. This is why CFB is so terrible - not only do you have to win, but you have to be "impressive" when you do it.

Same goes for Baylor. If TCU gets in over Baylor (provided Baylor wins tonight) it will be the second stupidest thing ever.

Full disclosure: Im an FSU grad.
      And yet they have slipped in the rankings week after week after week. Remember they were once #1 and now #4 despite continuing to win. I hear what you're saying but the level of competition the Noles have played has been nothing compared to the other contenders and thats why they've dropped. Look chances are if they win they'll be in but I don't see it as an impossibility that Baylor jumps them if they win impressively and FSU again plays like garbage but manages to win.

Comment

Never has an undefeated defending national champion been disrespected like this. All because people hate their QB. That's all it is. Remember when Notre Dame kept winning every game close a few years back? everyone said then that it was because they had heart and character.

Comment

"If TCU gets in over Baylor (provided Baylor wins tonight) it will be the second stupidest thing ever."

TCU lost by 3 at Baylor, blowing a 21-pt 4th qtr lead. There are 2 reasonable approaches - say you have to take Baylor if both have 1 loss, or say you will pick the team you think is better. The committee said before the season they would choose the latter.

I do agree that if Florida St wins tonight, they should be in the playoff. I think Oregon would give them quite a beating, but they deserve a chance to prove me - and almost everyone - wrong.

And 2 years ago, "everyone said" Notre Dame was ridiculously overrated and would get crushed in the title game. And they did. That's not a good talking point for a Florida St fan. Both teams were "disrespected" because they struggled to beat so-so teams.
          finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Never has an undefeated defending national champion been disrespected like this. All because people hate their QB. That's all it is. Remember when Notre Dame kept winning every game close a few years back? everyone said then that it was because they had heart and character.
            Hardly. FSU barely beat a mediocre Florida team that Alabama beat the snot out of. FSUs defense has been less than impressive against a number do second rate ACC offenses, like 41 to NC State.
            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Should be moot anyway, FSU took care of business and can now get ready to get beat in the playoff. I really wish it was 8 teams because I think both Ohio state and Baylor could have a shot if they were in the running. OSU beat down a very good Wisconsin team.

Comment

Originally posted by Trautdiggity View Post
                Should be moot anyway, FSU took care of business and can now get ready to get beat in the playoff. I really wish it was 8 teams because I think both Ohio state and Baylor could have a shot if they were in the running. OSU beat down a very good Wisconsin team.
                My 7-year old is college football crazy and just told me it will be Alabama, Oregon, FSU and Ohio State.

Comment

In what is clearly a minority opinion (me and the committee) it makes perfect sense to have TCU above Baylor. Follow me on this one.

Each team has one loss.

TCU lost to Baylor @ Baylor. Baylor is currently ranked 6th (before all these games today)

Baylor lost to West Virginia in Morgantown. West Virginia is currently ranked...lessee....uuummm....well they are 7-5. Not ranked.

TCU beat WVU in Morgantown.

So TCU's one loss was to a much better team than Baylor's one loss. So yeah, I'd put TCU in ahead of Baylor.
                  Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

[QUOTE=Pogues;205553]In what is clearly a minority opinion (me and the committee) it makes perfect sense to have TCU above Baylor. Follow me on this one.

Each team has one loss.

TCU lost to Baylor @ Baylor. Baylor is currently ranked 6th (before all these games today)

Baylor lost to West Virginia in Morgantown. West Virginia is currently ranked...lessee....uuummm....well they are 7-5. Not ranked.

TCU beat WVU in Morgantown.

So TCU's one loss was to a much better team than Baylor's one loss. So yeah, I'd put TCU in ahead of Baylor.[/.

Except in the big 12 byline it sez. " If two teams are tied, the winner of the game between the two tied teams shall be the representative."

Comment

But my vote of course is for Ohio State to be number 4 anyway making the big 12 a moot point .

Comment

Looking like the prognosticators are siding with Revo's son and Hacko's wishes and it's easy to see why. Ohio State absolutely dismantled Wisconsin on both sides of the ball last night looking unstoppable on offense despite being in their third QB and shutting down heisman candidate Melvin Gordon. It's also the easy out for the committee as they don't have to chose between tcu and Baylor. We shall see at 12:30

Comment

As an OSU fan I am happy
                          but TCU - ouch
                          They were in 3rd place and won by over 40 points and dropped 2 spots
                          not sure how the system works

Comment

Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
                            As an OSU fan I am happy
                            but TCU - ouch
                            They were in 3rd place and won by over 40 points and dropped 2 spots
                            not sure how the system works
                            It doesn't

How tOSU gets in despite a terrible home loss to a terrible Va Tech team is beyond me. The only thing TCU did wrong was play in a conference that has a moronic commissioner

""It's clear that we were penalized for not having a postseason championship game. It would have been nice to have been told that ahead of time.""

Um, why do you think the other P5 conferences each have a title game? Idiot

Their stupid rules also ignored the fact Baylor beat TCU (by 3) in a head to head but declared them both co-champs with one loss.

Comment

Originally posted by hacko View Post
                              Except in the big 12 byline it sez. " If two teams are tied, the winner of the game between the two tied teams shall be the representative."
                              That's what the conference says. But conferences don't determine what team enters the final 4.
                              Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Working...
                              X