CBS Franchise Baseball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CBS Franchise Baseball

anyone playing? It's incredibly addicting. You can play via CBS or on Facebook.

Basically, you field a team with 5 bench spots and 10 pitchers from the MLB historical universe. You get 12 daily games to sim against others at your level, and the option to join a 10-team one day league. If you win your sim games, you get "Reputation Points" and cash, and you use those to buy new players, train your existing players, or buy more sim games, or other stuff.

A certain number of teams "level up" in the leagues, and as you do, you face tougher competition, but also get access to better players. Along the way, your players accumulate stats and the game gives milestone bonuses in 3 hitting and 3 pitching categories.

Once you get to Level 51, you get access to "legends" and then face off against other teams in the "legends" class.

They also make 'franchise' games for basketball, football and hockey.

Here's my Level 51 (Level VII) lineup:

1 - Richie Ashburn (Legend), OF
    2 - Buster Posey (Legend), C
    3 - Mark Trumbo, 1B
    4 - Carlos Gonzalez, OF
    5 - Juan Uribe, SS
    6 - Kirk Gibson, DH
    7 - Josh Donaldson, 3B
    8 - Garry Maddox, OF
    9 - Glenn Beckert, 2B

P1 - Bret Saberhagen (Legend)
    P2 - Matt Morris
    P3 - Randy Wolf
    P4 - John Tudor
    P5 - Fernando Valenzuela

B1 - Matt Garza
    B2 - Oil Can Boyd
    B3 - CJ Wilson
    B4 - Dean Chance
    B5 - Johnny Cueto

Comment

This is pretty entertaining. That said, I'm level 7 and I'm 29-3. And my team is led by Matt Murton, Gerardo Parra, Mike Pelfrey, and Jon Niese. Good times.
      In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Originally posted by mjl View Post
        This is pretty entertaining. That said, I'm level 7 and I'm 29-3. And my team is led by Matt Murton, Gerardo Parra, Mike Pelfrey, and Jon Niese. Good times.
        Start "camping", which means don't join a league every day. Just play the daily games, use the RPs to train your players, and then make sure when you do join leagues, you'll go undefeated and win all the four bonus categories.

Comment

So I should use the cash to buy players and RP to train them? Should I avoid training any of my starting mediocre players?
          Last edited by mjl; 09-16-2014, 02:17 AM.
          In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

and does it eventually not let me join a new league as soon as the previous one ends? is there a downside to playing in one and not winning (not that that's happened yet)?

Comment

Well...that's addicting.
              Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by mjl View Post
                So I should use the cash to buy players and RP to train them? Should I avoid training any of my starting mediocre players?
                You should only get new players through the daily draft, and then use RPs to trade up to get the players with the badges. Free agents don't come with badges and are usually far inferior. But occasionally, a player who you liked will pop up as a free agent, and you can train him and buy a badge, and he'll still be decent (I did this with Lyman Bostock, who ended up getting me 3,000 hits before his time ran out).

You should train your better players first (look at their attributes and keep in mind what Milestones you need to hit) and replace those who are inferior and/or won't help you win games or get you milestones.

and does it eventually not let me join a new league as soon as the previous one ends? is there a downside to playing in one and not winning (not that that's happened yet)?
                You can join a new league as soon as yours ends, but keep in mind you get an extra 100 RPs for every category your players lead -- so you should have a dominant enough team that you'll likely walk over everyone and get extra RPs. Plus, many like to have spectacular records, but that will go away once you get to the Legends level, when everyone has a great team.

Comment

interesting. don't really understand what i'm doing yet... i also seem to have broken the app - i finished a league (played all 3 games), but can't go to the Claim Rewards (there is no button). i can navigate around but whenever i go back to the League tab, same deal.
                  "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

You have to wait for the timer to expire so the other people in your league can either play their games or have the computer sim them.

At level 8 I played in my first 10-team league. One team was 218-7 going into this and all of his stats were about 1.5 higher than mine, and he went 9-0 with a +42 run differential, so he seems to be using revo's strategy. I did push him to extra innings at least, and I won my other 8 games due to (a) having the best hitting of the other teams and (b) writing a script to tell me what order to play all the games in to play against the weakest possible combination of starting pitchers. So, whee, I guess?

Annoyingly I won many games in extra innings so I still didn't get the highest save total, just tied for it. What's that tiebreaker with the number and asterisk?

Comment

Does it cost anything to play?

Comment

Like most "freemium" games, no, but you will be limited by how many games you can play and then it'll say "you have to wait an hour to play again, or you can pay us to play now". But there's no real obligation to do that unless you really care about having the best team as soon as you possibly can.

Comment

yeah, figured out the timer thing.

you mean you wrote a greasemonkey script? i wondered about that, but i'm not into it enough to spend any time on that yet...

level 7 and 27-8. riding david segui and jon niese.
                          "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

no, I wrote an extremely ugly Java program (http://ideone.com/MFCYB4). At your next level I think you'll start playing in 10-team leagues and it's a little less trivial to figure out how to optimize the ordering then. If you want to use it, you can fork that and change the team names and pitcher ratings.

Maybe I will try to write is as a greasemonkey script, I've never done that, and it'd be a lot handier. But I assume someone else has done this before and I didn't want to use too much brain power doing it. If nobody has done this before, I'll give it a try this weekend.

Comment

ahh, i see. you have to manually put in their pitcher totals for all the other teams then it just finds the minimum opponent pitcher in order.

would be a lot handier as a greasemonkey script, so it could scrape the information automatically. i would have thought somebody would have already done that, but google doesn't think so (unless i'm not putting in the right terms)...

Comment

Working...
                              X