Cut the Cord

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cut the Cord

Turned in my cable boxes today. Never thought this day would come after almost 35 years with cable. But the technology for streaming has finally overcome cable, and at the very end, it was overwhelming in favor of streaming. Honestly, it's really no longer close.

- first, I was the only one in my household (6 people) still actively using cable. It's a little sad my kids won't grow up with a "watch it now or forever lose it" mentality, but it is what it is. They never had that option.
    - two, the costs of cable kept climbing and climbing
    - three, because of streaming, my cable company also kept raising their internet fee as well as instituted some data caps, almost forcing a family that has kids who depend on the internet to upgrade -- which I did, to their highest speed. And it bit them in the ass.
    - four, and probably most important of all, I found over the last two years I almost exclusively watch non-network shows. And quite frankly, very few non-premium channel shows. Not sure if that makes me a TV snob, or just someone who has grown to appreciate the shows the streamers air over the garbage the networks (and now the cable channels) air
    - five, I decided that no matter what, I was not cancelling any of the streamers -- Netflix, Amazon, Hulu/Disney/ESPN+, HBO, Showtime, Apple TV. So I was paying for these above and beyond my now bloated $300 cable/internet bill.
    - six, the TV replacement streamers -- YouTubeTV and Sling -- now have almost as full a lineup as cable does
    - seven, the few channels that are not on YouTube TV (which was the one I went with) are available on Hulu anyway. I found that the only channels that would "disappear" were Reelz and Destination America, and I'm sure they'll come to their senses sooner or later, and if not, whatever, I don't miss them
    - eight, one of the final straws, I found that I was not even bothering watching what I had recorded on my DVR

So that was that. YouTube TV costs about $65/month compared to my cable TV bill of $180/month. And I lose nothing. In the end, after I double and triple checked about potential issues, there weren't any. So buhbye cable.

Interesting. Thank you for posting this.

I would be interested if you could come back in a couple of months and report how it has worked for you. If you feel you missed out on anything. This type of thing might be in our future.

Comment

I imagine I don't watch nearly as many shows as revo does, but I cut the cord a few years ago and have not regretted it at all. In fact, quite the opposite. There is just so much more good stuff available on the streaming options.
      "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

I was in a similar position as Revo a few years ago and have not regretted anything. YouTubeTV covers any live or network shows I want to watch. The only thing I can't watch anymore is hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by ironfist View Post
          I was in a similar position as Revo a few years ago and have not regretted anything. YouTubeTV covers any live or network shows I want to watch. The only thing I can't watch anymore is hockey.
          If you buy the Hulu/ESPN+ package, you'll have hockey coming out your wazoo

Comment

I cut the cord 4 years ago. Don't regret it one bit.
            I get local channels through HD antenna. Streaming services are Netflix, Amazon Prime & recently signed up for Disney+.

Since I cannot stand commercials I typically stick with streaming. Can't get away from that watching live sports though.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
              If you buy the Hulu/ESPN+ package, you'll have hockey coming out your wazoo
              Except for local games. The sports is always the trick in cutting the cord.

I made the move years ago. I don't regret it, but I do miss watching the hometown baseball and hockey team.
              "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
              - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
              - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

Originally posted by In the Corn View Post

I made the move years ago. I don't regret it, but I do miss watching the hometown baseball and hockey team.
                This. I can watch the Devils if they're on NBC or whatever, but won't be able to watch anything on MSG or whatever channel it is they play their regular games on. So maybe a handful of games a year.

Comment

Originally posted by In the Corn View Post

Agreed. I haven't had cable since living with my parents 20 years ago, but the one thing I miss is sports. Used to watch a lot of Raptors and Jays games, have been watching less than 5 MLB games per year for many years now.

I'm hoping to catch more minor league baseball in person to fill the gap. I live close to the Jays' A ball team stadium. Until MLB.com improves their online offerings, I feel I don't have many options.
                  Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

I've been trying to get my wife to agree to do this for years, as our cable/internet/phone bill is approaching $300. The only person in our house that watches any cable at all is my wife, but she has yet to get into any streamers, and she watches obscure networks I don't think stream--specifically Heroes and Icons, which shows a lot of 80s and 90s shows (she keeps Murder She Wrote or MacGyver on in the background whenever possible, and Blue Bloods when those are not an option--yes, my AA wife is an old white Republican at heart). She also watches a lot of Food Network and Hallmark and LMN, which I think do stream on some of the options. If I could guarantee her access to 80s and 90s shows like Murder She Wrote, Food Network, LMN, and the Hallmark channel, we'd be able to finally cut the cord.

Comment

If it is not too personal how much do you save per month?

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                        Turned in my cable boxes today. Never thought this day would come after almost 35 years with cable. But the technology for streaming has finally overcome cable, and at the very end, it was overwhelming in favor of streaming. Honestly, it's really no longer close.

- first, I was the only one in my household (6 people) still actively using cable. It's a little sad my kids won't grow up with a "watch it now or forever lose it" mentality, but it is what it is. They never had that option.
                        - two, the costs of cable kept climbing and climbing
                        - three, because of streaming, my cable company also kept raising their internet fee as well as instituted some data caps, almost forcing a family that has kids who depend on the internet to upgrade -- which I did, to their highest speed. And it bit them in the ass.
                        - four, and probably most important of all, I found over the last two years I almost exclusively watch non-network shows. And quite frankly, very few non-premium channel shows. Not sure if that makes me a TV snob, or just someone who has grown to appreciate the shows the streamers air over the garbage the networks (and now the cable channels) air
                        - five, I decided that no matter what, I was not cancelling any of the streamers -- Netflix, Amazon, Hulu/Disney/ESPN+, HBO, Showtime, Apple TV. So I was paying for these above and beyond my now bloated $300 cable/internet bill.
                        - six, the TV replacement streamers -- YouTubeTV and Sling -- now have almost as full a lineup as cable does
                        - seven, the few channels that are not on YouTube TV (which was the one I went with) are available on Hulu anyway. I found that the only channels that would "disappear" were Reelz and Destination America, and I'm sure they'll come to their senses sooner or later, and if not, whatever, I don't miss them
                        - eight, one of the final straws, I found that I was not even bothering watching what I had recorded on my DVR

So that was that. YouTube TV costs about $65/month compared to my cable TV bill of $180/month. And I lose nothing. In the end, after I double and triple checked about potential issues, there weren't any. So buhbye cable.
                        Welcome to the club.
                        If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                        Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                          -specifically Heroes and Icons, which shows a lot of 80s and 90s shows
                          That's one of a few I like.
                          Are you close enough to your local tower(s) to pick up anything via antenna? I get quite a bit myself.

Comment

Did Youtube just drop ESPN? Do you have to pay separately for ESPN now? I read it was getting dropped but when I searched it looks like it's still there....

Apparently the deal breaker in my household is whether or not we get Bravo so we have access to those evil reality shows with drunk rich ladies. Lawd hammercy!
                            More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
                              Did Youtube just drop ESPN? Do you have to pay separately for ESPN now? I read it was getting dropped but when I searched it looks like it's still there....

Apparently the deal breaker in my household is whether or not we get Bravo so we have access to those evil reality shows with drunk rich ladies. Lawd hammercy!
                              My wife watches a lot of Bravo. I think it is gettable through many of the streaming options.

Comment

Working...
                              X