*** VD 15 Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *** VD 15 Commentary Thread ***

This will be a Franchise and Letter Combo draft.

I'm updating the SS with Franchise information as early as possible, so that we have a full set of sortable data before we start. Not sure how I'm going to do it precisely, but i'll figure it out.

The original plan was Franchise and Decades, but as someone pointed out (Cavebird?), there would be a lot of overlap with the early decades and rarer franchises ... we really need to think about that before we jump in.

So Franchises and Letters seems the best option ... and since we did this before (a long time ago), we know it works well.

Also we'll have to start planning ahead for future drafts, because I have nothing else planned after this. So if you have any suggestions, throw them out below. Someone suggested the nutty triple threat draft. I'd be down for that.

I'm trying to get the SS set up with "peak-years" data, so rather than picking a BY, you pick an average of 3 or 5 "peak years". Discussing the best way to grab this data with Ken. hopefully we can do this before long.

I like Franchise and Letters, and I'll definitely get the peak years data ASAP, you can assign me that task and move on, I'll get it together.

While we are talking about the SS, I noted in the 14 thread, but I'm tired of you having to deal with apostrophes, why don't we just remove them entirely with a find/replace? So Lefty O'doule is just odoule01

Comment

If we are looking at peak years, as it pertains to franchises, do the set of years all need to be with that franchise?

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
        I like Franchise and Letters, and I'll definitely get the peak years data ASAP, you can assign me that task and move on, I'll get it together.

While we are talking about the SS, I noted in the 14 thread, but I'm tired of you having to deal with apostrophes, why don't we just remove them entirely with a find/replace? So Lefty O'doule is just odoule01
        Yeah I've been doing that manually ... also been removing the "A.J." abbreviations also. It's mostly done apart from a few outliers.

Comment

If we are looking at peak years, as it pertains to franchises, do the set of years all need to be with that franchise?
          We won't be looking at "peak years" until at least VD16. So they won't apply to VD15.

Franchises will just be a stand alone data set - like Letters or Decades. I'll probably build a table (like the position or decade tables on the hit_car and pit_car pages), and then make some countif formula work.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
            We won't be looking at "peak years" until at least VD16. So they won't apply to VD15.

Franchises will just be a stand alone data set - like Letters or Decades. I'll probably build a table (like the position or decade tables on the hit_car and pit_car pages), and then make some countif formula work.
            Got it, so VD16 for that one. In the meantime, before I build it out I just wanted to know if the franchises matter. For example if we care about Franchises within peak years, does it matter if a player switches team within a 3 or 5 year period? Or does it matter if they even played for that team at all? Or is it just as long as they played there at some point? i.e. could you take Ruth as a Red Sox player but grab his NYY peak?

Comment

I've recruited a new VD player!
              If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
              - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                I've recruited a new VD player!
                It's not like TMD or something, is it?
                I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                  It's not like TMD or something, is it?
                  DMBL obv
                  If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                  - Terence McKenna

Comment

DMBL obv
                    ah, poo... I was just about to tout that I currently had a better record than you... but you won last night and I lost and we flopped.

My team is going to be ass this season. If there's a MLB season this year, I think I should be better next year. I loaded up on ineligible young pitchers.
                    I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Got it, so VD16 for that one. In the meantime, before I build it out I just wanted to know if the franchises matter. For example if we care about Franchises within peak years, does it matter if a player switches team within a 3 or 5 year period? Or does it matter if they even played for that team at all? Or is it just as long as they played there at some point? i.e. could you take Ruth as a Red Sox player but grab his NYY peak?
                      No connection at all. Any peak year.

But interesting idea for BY if we wanted to make Franchises harder ... that is, you can only take a BY from a players designated Franchise. Though that might not make much of a difference.

Comment

No connection at all. Any peak year.

But interesting idea for BY if we wanted to make Franchises harder ... that is, you can only take a BY from a players designated Franchise. Though that might not make much of a difference.
                        Oh, that could be interesting, but the way to do it would be that the franchise for the player would be the franchise he played for most during the best year selected. That way you could manipulate franchises by taking crappy seasons, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                          Oh, that could be interesting, but the way to do it would be that the franchise for the player would be the franchise he played for most during the best year selected. That way you could manipulate franchises by taking crappy seasons, lol.
                          I assumed BY determined franchise, isn't that how it was done last time?
                          - Terence McKenna

Comment

I assumed BY determined franchise, isn't that how it was done last time?
                            Franchise is equivalent to Letter or Decade. A player will have a designated Franchise(s) based on number of years he played with them. That is what I am currently trying to catalogue.

Comment

Franchise is equivalent to Letter or Decade. A player will have a designated Franchise(s) based on number of years he played with them. That is what I am currently trying to catalogue.
                              Has this already been decided? Because I think it makes a lot more sense to have BY determine franchise. Or is it not feasible for the spreadsheet?
                              - Terence McKenna

Comment

Working...
                              X