2K24: New York Yankees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2K24: New York Yankees

the Yankees come off what was arguably their most trying season since the early 1990s, and enter 2014 with almost as many questions as they had last season:

Can Derek Jeter come back, and entering his age 40 season, can he still be effective?
    Is CC Sabathia the ace he once was, or has he regressed to the point of no return?
    Can Mark teixeira return to his former All-Star ways?
    Will A-Rod even play in 2014?
    Who besides Sabathia is even in the rotation?
    Can David Robertson take over from the legend?

There are many more questions to be answered, but the view from this day says even with their large payroll, they have an uphill climb to get back on top in an ultra-competitive AL East.

Likely to leave as free agents:
    Curtis Granderson
    Travis Hafner
    Phil Hughes
    Joba Chamberlain
    Kevin Youkilis
    Mark Reynolds
    Jayson Nix

Other free agents:
    Robinson Cano
    Hiroki Kuroda

Here's their roster as of today, with the needs:

C - Cervelli/Stewart/Romine: abysmal. Just a few years ago the Yanks were lousy with top catching prospects, and now they arguably have the worst catching situation in the league. Cervelli returns from his PED suspension a suspect, and Stewart and Romine just are not MLB caliber at this moment. An upgrade here is needed (McCann?)

1B - Teixeira -- missed all but 15 games of the 2013 season, and has also regressed into a sub-.250ish hitter with a declining SLG%. Even with a .240 BA, if he hits 30 HRs and drives in 100, it's just what the doctor ordered.

2B - Cano -- is a free agent, and the Yanks will do whatever it takes (within reason) to keep him. But if he leaves, look out!

3B - ARod? -- will likely be suspended for at least a good portion of the 2014 season, and at age 38 is a far cry from his MVP days. Still, even a mediocre ARod is better than the alternatives.

SS - Jeter -- missed almost the entire season, and turns 40 in June. But in 2012 he led the AL in hits, so if he's healthy, is that what Yankee fans should expect? How many 40-year olds are expected to get 200+ hits? Judging from what we're hearing from Yankee execs, they seem to expect that.

LF - A. Soriano -- was a godsend upon his return, hitting 17 HRs with 58 RBIs in his 56 Yankee games. But at age 38, a season with 50 HRs and 150 RBIs should not be expected.

CF - Gardner -- had a decent overall season, but what happened to the speed? Dropped from an AL leading 49 SBs in 2011 to just 24 in 2013.

RF - Ichiro -- a shell of his former self, Ichiro now totes a 75 OPS+ with declines across the board. Would be better suited as a backup, so expect the Yanks to fill this need through FA (Beltran? N. Cruz?)

DH - V. Wells -- pulled a fast one on Yankee fans with his hot April, but quickly became the V. Wells we all know and loathe. Another obvious spot for a replacement.

Bench -- needs a complete overhaul.

SP1 - Sabathia -- ugh. Career worst ERA, WHIP, HRA, H/9, WAR. No matter the excuse (gained weight, lost weight, velocity decline, etc.) it is imperative he return to glory, but will he get there again at age 34?
    SP2 - Kuroda -- said he wants to return to Japan, and if he does, would be disastrous for the team. Had a miserable 2nd half, so maybe they let him walk anyway. Still, at age 40, the Yanks need to find a SP2 somewhere (Lincecum? Garza? Tanaka?)
    SP3 - Nova -- had a surprising season, but still better suited to being an SP4 or SP5.
    SP4 - Pineda -- is he ready to return? Questions abound. Better suited to be gravy then cemented in the rotation.
    SP5 - Phelps?? - better suited to be a long reliever/spot starter.

CL - Robertson -- very capable, but who then is the setup man?
    Setup - -???
    BP3 - Logan
    BP4, 5 -- ???? No one was very good besides Robertson & the retired Mo. An overhaul of the pen is necessary.

Will Cashman strike paydirt like the Red Sox did with their overhaul, or will they return to giving mid-30 somethings albatrosses of contracts that hamstring them?
    Last edited by revo; 10-18-2013, 11:00 AM.

loads of questions indeed. I really don't see a lot of options - accept mediocrity & try the Astros approach to rebuilding (without all the draft picks), or open the chqbook again for Cano & Grandy, try to convince Kuroda to stay with another big 1year contract, maybe even try to lure Nathan. But it sure isn't looking good - with Cano & Rivera they couldn't make the playoffs this year ... they need to improve, not simply maintain status quo.
    It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

I'd bet several AL teams would love to steal Kuroda in an attempt to force the Yankees under .500. We'll see if any have the guts once he gets the qualifying offer.
      people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

Originally posted by Controller Jacobs View Post
        I'd bet several AL teams would love to steal Kuroda in an attempt to force the Yankees under .500. We'll see if any have the guts once he gets the qualifying offer.
        Kuroda's stats from 2012 and 2013 look amazingly similar, but from August 17th onwards he went 0-6 with a 6.56 ERA and 1.63 WHIP. At 39 years old, I'd be concerned that this wasn't just a "revert to the mean" in-season correction but instead a warning for things to come.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
          Kuroda's stats from 2012 and 2013 look amazingly similar, but from August 17th onwards he went 0-6 with a 6.56 ERA and 1.63 WHIP. At 39 years old, I'd be concerned that this wasn't just a "revert to the mean" in-season correction but instead a warning for things to come.
          yeah, the way his season turned on a dime there had me wondering about the possiblity of an underlying injury.
          It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Grandy is going to get a qualifying offer but I have to think he'll get a better offer than 1/14 from someone else and leave.

My question is this, if they're willing to pay Beltran 2/25, would it make more sense to see if Grandy will take 2/30? What's the breaking point where you'd rather have Beltran? Beltran 2/25 or Grandy 3/40, which is better? I'd probably take Beltran 2/25 over Grandy 4/56.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
              Grandy is going to get a qualifying offer but I have to think he'll get a better offer than 1/14 from someone else and leave.

My question is this, if they're willing to pay Beltran 2/25, would it make more sense to see if Grandy will take 2/30? What's the breaking point where you'd rather have Beltran? Beltran 2/25 or Grandy 3/40, which is better? I'd probably take Beltran 2/25 over Grandy 4/56.
              Why would Beltran only take a 2-year deal, especially coming off a great year with a great post-season? At age 37, you'd think he would want one last payday, which he can certainly fetch now. I'd guess he could get 3 years plus an option year.

As far as Grandy, he had a terrible year even after coming back from his injuries, but that makes him a perfect target for a low-budget team to give him 2 or 3 years also (PIT? TB?). Maybe he'll take a 1-year deal to rebuild his value, but this is a bad FA class and he should still do OK.

Comment

Kuroda had a 3.31 ERA overall but 5.70 in his last 31 days.

but if you look at HQ's xERA (taking into account various peripherals), it was 3.73 for the season and 4.11 for those last 31 days.

sample size issues, but he looks to have been a little lucky overall in spite of being pretty unlucky down the stretch.

xERA is usually a better predictive number, which is a mixed bag here - especially because he may "age out" of even the 3.73 level of effectiveness next year.....
                finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                  Why would Beltran only take a 2-year deal, especially coming off a great year with a great post-season? At age 37, you'd think he would want one last payday, which he can certainly fetch now. I'd guess he could get 3 years plus an option year.

As far as Grandy, he had a terrible year even after coming back from his injuries, but that makes him a perfect target for a low-budget team to give him 2 or 3 years also (PIT? TB?). Maybe he'll take a 1-year deal to rebuild his value, but this is a bad FA class and he should still do OK.
                  If Beltran couldn't get more than a 2-year deal 2 years ago when he was younger, who's going to give him one now that he'll hit 40 during the life of said contract? And his 2011 numbers were better than this year's...

Comment

Originally posted by ironfist View Post
                    If Beltran couldn't get more than a 2-year deal 2 years ago when he was younger, who's going to give him one now that he'll hit 40 during the life of said contract? And his 2011 numbers were better than this year's...
                    He was coming off an injury-wracked 3 years with the Mets, and that 2011 was a surprise to everyone that he stayed relatively healthy. So I think teams didn't want to commit to an injury prone aging OFer. Now, his injury days are behind him and offense is harder to come by.

Comment

oh, and love the thread title!
                      finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Per an earlier post I made, the Yankees have to figure out what it'll take to keep Kuroda as long as the length isn't over two years. I stand by my revert to mean issue with Kuroda - he's not as good as his stats through July indicated, and he's nowhere near as bad as his mid-August to Sept. stats indicated. But he's still got solid mid-3s ERA and decent WHIP stuff, and just as importantly, can function in the fishbowl that is New York. Even at #1 dollars over a very limited time (a year or two), he's a must have, IMO.
                        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

It would have been easier to detail where the Yankees are set. Very easy, in fact.

If the Steinbrenner brothers hold to their player budget, this is when we'll finally see what Cashman is made of. Build something out of this pile of sand, and he'll have accomplished something really good.
                          Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                          -- William James

Comment

2K14 New York Yankees

Baseball Reference - team page
                            mlb depth charts - team page
                            cot's contracts - team page
                            cot's contracts - 2014
                            mlbtraderumors - team page
                            fangraphs - team page
                            fangraphs - park factors
                            Last edited by Controller Jacobs; 11-13-2013, 07:17 AM.
                            people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

Three of the biggest stories of the offseason will be where these guys sign:
                              - Robinson Cano
                              - Curtis Granderson
                              - Hiroki Kuroda

Comment

Working...
                              X