Doordash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doordash

Just posted this on facebook to a local "Foodies of Place County" group and thought I would copy it here.

I started dashing recently to make some extra money, and thought I would give a little background on door dash in case people have never used it before.

When you place an order door dash hits up the closest driver and offers them the contact. Drivers are private contractors so they can either accept or decline the gig.

Pay for the gig starts or at $2 or $3 plus whatever you tip. Most drivers will decline any gig that does not at least pay them $1 per mile. They also take into account how far out of the way your place is. If it's somewhat central to other restaurants, and we can pick up another job quickly that's great, but if it's out in (listed a bunch of communities that are way out in the boonies) and we will have to drive back 15 minutes to get another job that gets factored into mileage.

If your job gets declined a bunch then DD starts upping the pay until someone takes it, but that's going to take a while.

Not saying you should tip any amount, I understand everyone had their own budget to deal with. Just thought I might give some background to how the system works.

Ah, one other thing... there's a place when you order that allows you to send a message to drivers about delivery. If you are in a gated community, including the gate code is huge. If you are in apartments, directions to your building is vastly appreciated. Google maps usually just directs me to the main office or whatever, and I end up driving around for 10 minutes trying to find the building.
    A note that says "turn left when you enter the complex, follow the road until you see some dumpsters, we are the second building past that on the left" is wonderful!
    I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Good info. What are door dash and other delivery services doing to prevent contamination? Is it better than getting To go and picking it up ourselves?

Comment

They have offered "no-contact" deliveries where your food is left in your doorstep and you are texted that it had arrived, but I think that is just window dressing. I only touch the handle of the food bag when I pick it up and drop it off. Otherwise no contact. I go through a ton of hand sanitizer during runs so hopefully I'm not contaminating things. That doesn't mean the people who prepped it aren't infected.

Then again, I'm coming in contact with a lot more food prep people di my chances are elevated. Again, I'm doing all I can to not pass it along though.

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
        Again, I'm doing all I can to not pass it along though.
        And yet, you keep posting here. If I get it....I'm blaming you! (I kid...I kid)
        “There’s no normal life, Wyatt, it’s just life. Get on with it.” – Doc Holliday

"It doesn't matter what you think" - The Rock

"I borked the entry." - Some dude on the Internet

Have I told you about otters being the only marine animal that can lift rocks?

Comment

There is also a Shopping Service called Shipt one of my friends wife has been doing that for months. You place the order, a Shipt driver goes shopping for it and delivers it to your door. I'm pretty sure most grocery stores also offer home delivery, though they might be a bit busy ATM.
          If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
          Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
            There is also a Shopping Service called Shipt one of my friends wife has been doing that for months. You place the order, a Shipt driver goes shopping for it and delivers it to your door. I'm pretty sure most grocery stores also offer home delivery, though they might be a bit busy ATM.
            What is the cost for the service?

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
              What is the cost for the service?
              It varies by the size of the order. I'd google it before using it.
              If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
              Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Our local grocery stores have teamed up to do the same thing in order to combat the Sith Lords of Amazon. It’s been great for my MIL, who’s not really supposed to be out. Cost is $3.99 - $5.99, based on size of order.
                I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Make sure to pronounce the P.
                  "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                    Make sure to pronounce the P.
                    I thought the P was silent?!

Don't forget to tip your drivers.

Comment

I had so many $3 job offers last night (base pay, no tip)... I almost took one of them just so I could burn with righteous indignation for the rest of the night, but couldn't bring myself to do it.

I mistakenly took a $2 one though. It was an add-on (if the platform sees you are going to a restaurant that it has another order for, and the deliveries are in the same general area, it will offer you the second one as an add-on.) It was 1.5 miles out of the way so I said yes, but that fucker got delivery for no tip.

It was the weirdest house too. I pulled into the development, single family homes, but they were all right on top of each other. The streets turned into tiny alley ways, and when I find the house it has no front door. Just a garage and window. There's a gate to the postage stamp sized yard on the side, so I opened that and see a sliding glass door. So I knocked there and the guy came and got his food. Pretty sure the house has no front door at all.

Comment

I thought the P was silent?!

Is the P silent here too?

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Is the P silent here too?
                          nicely played.

Comment

Working...
                          X