Baseball journalism: Interesting times

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baseball journalism: Interesting times

I've read a couple of interesting stories this week regarding "new" media and MLB teams. It seems to me that this whole arena still has a lot of shaking out to do.

First, the Yankees. (Trying to stick to facts... you can read the articles at the links below)

When news of Rafael Soriano’s signing filtered onto Twitter on the evening of January 13th, many Yankees fans were aghast at the length of the deal and the fact that the club had sacrificed a draft pick to obtain an 8th inning man. A number of those fans used their platforms as bloggers to criticize the signing. In particular, Mike Axisa and Joe Pawlikowski expressed displeasure with the move over at River Avenue Blues (RAB), while Steve Goldman penned a critical column entitled, “What the Heck Are the Yankees Doing?” that ran at his Pinstriped Bible blog. What happened next reeks of censorship and raises questions about the degree of journalistic integrity required by a sports network that is owned by the team that it purports to cover.

Pinstriped Bible is directly affiliated with the YES Network, as the site is designed to look like the YES homepage and is frequently featured on the YES front page. A few hours after being posted, Steve Goldman’s post was suddenly pulled, only to reappear a number of hours later with a new title (Soriano Strengthens the Pen, But Do Dominoes Fall?) and a softened stance. A visit to the page shows the altered title and article, but the URL still contains the original title. I have the original article saved (available upon request), and the primary differences are a few sentences added in support of the deal, as well as the moving of a positive paragraph to the beginning of the article. When asked about the incident, Goldman declined to comment.

So, basically, there was a blog that had a tight affiliation with YES and the Yankees asked them to rewrite their content to be less critical of the organization.

Then, the Pirates:

When Ogden Newspapers, the newspaper conglomerate owned by the Nutting family that also owns the Pirates, re-started The Pirates Report last year after the newsletter had spent a few years in oblivion, it looked like they were really doing a huge service for Pirate fans.

[...]

Paul Ladewski (who covered baseball in Chicago for a long time and has a Hall of Fame vote) [was hired] to take over his beat and PiratesReport.com

[...]

Then, Ladewski wrote a blog entry yesterday comparing the Penguins unfavorably to the Pirates, arguing that they hadn't accomplished much, comparing Marc-Andre Fleury to Brian Bullington, and perhaps worst of all, arguing that the Penguins failure to win a Stanley Cup every year would make Mario Lemieux a bad owner of the Pirates

So, a little background... there was a rumor that Mario's group was looking at buying the Pirates, and a lot of people thought that would be a great idea, since the Pens are great and the Nuttings/Pirates are horrible. So, it's possible that the Nuttings' hatchet man wrote this criticism at their behest to make people think that wouldn't be an attractive idea.

Also, the Nuttings had originally hired someone that excited a lot of fans (John Perrotto) and then fired him and replaced him with this Ladewski guy without a lot of explanation. But it was speculated that they wanted someone they could control to be in charge of the PiratesReport.

====

Now, this might be a case of seeing conspiracies where they aren't there. But I think the next year or two will be an interesting test to see what happens with the baseball blogosphere as teams want to get more involved.

(Also, on a semi-related note, one of the things that Sandy Alderson did when he became GM of the Mets was reach out to their blog community, invite some of their heavy hitters to the Christmas party and try to get them more incorporated into the team. Not in a controlling way - I don't think - but in a "we need to get a handle on this and understand it" kind if way)

Anyone with half a brain knows that you have to be skeptical of any content from something that is owned by/affiliated with the team it discusses.
    Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
    We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
      Anyone with half a brain knows that you have to be skeptical of any content from something that is owned by/affiliated with the team it discusses.
      I agree. But newspapers are dying and most teams have 3-5 excellent blogs that follow them. In almost every case, it's clear that the best talent is NOT working for the local paper or for the team itself. How can teams capitalize on that? Should they?

Last year ESPN (I think Rob Neyer was involved) was trying to establish a group of blogs, one for each team. And SBN is kind of working on the same thing. What's the future?

Comment

why should sports journalism be any different from political journalism? It was bound to follow suit.
        After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

I've been contacted by the Rays about stuff that I've posted but I have never been asked to pull anything down from my blog. They've offered clarification on things that I've added, but I've never severely changed a story

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
            I agree. But newspapers are dying and most teams have 3-5 excellent blogs that follow them. In almost every case, it's clear that the best talent is NOT working for the local paper or for the team itself. How can teams capitalize on that? Should they?

Last year ESPN (I think Rob Neyer was involved) was trying to establish a group of blogs, one for each team. And SBN is kind of working on the same thing. What's the future?
            The future of journalism not just sports journalism is with independent writers writing on their own sites. The newspapers are dying and most have been in the pockets of various corporations for a long time now anyway.

The problem for the reader is finding the sources that have the best information and the least bias in their reporting. Unfortunately, the more independent these things become the more bias seeps into the work.

What sports fans need is the sports version of truthout or something along those lines. If nothing else it would be fun to read.

Comment

Regardless of the form, what's important is finding out who actually has access to players, coaches, scouts, agents etc.

Some people can write mildly entertaining stuff from their living room, but I think fans prefer to hear from those who actually deal with the ones who make decisions and play the games.
              finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
              own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
              won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
              RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
              C Stallings 2, Casali 1
              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
              OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                Regardless of the form, what's important is finding out who actually has access to players, coaches, scouts, agents etc.

Some people can write mildly entertaining stuff from their living room, but I think fans prefer to hear from those who actually deal with the ones who make decisions and play the games.
                Exactly right. While bloggers have their place, they can never replace the beatwriter who lives with the club damn near 24/7, 365 these days. The amount of content that these guys churn out is simply staggering...and it's solid content for the most part, not parroting what the club wants them to say. And I daresay that every writer than I know would tell the ballclub to go and pound sand if they tried to interfere with what they wrote. That's not to say that stories can't change after more information is released by the club, but it's not a case where a writer changes his story simply because of pressure.
                "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                -Warren Ellis

Comment

With respect to my inkstained friends, the times have changed. The more accurate assessment of the print writer, while he still exists, is to be the conduit of fact out from the team. Where his star has largely set is in the analysis department. The beat guy now has pretty much the sole import of providing ore for the refiners in the blogosphere to turn into usable product. It might suck, but that's what it is and it mirrors the reality of every other facet of the newspaper business, from reliance on wire services to closing bureaus.
                  "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

media BS over and over again. Social media is king now. Deal with it. Nothing is "news worthy" anymore. If it is a "hot topic" it will get "press". Can't wait to hear when Brittney does something again .... the associated press will be all over it.

Comment

The beat guy who is "providing ore" is in the best position to provide the first and best analysis of that info.

Beat guys don't reveal even nuance of their knowledge while providing ore. While the bloggers are guessing what the news from the beat guy might mean, the beat guy can provide added value by blogging beyond the newspaper story.

Access is crucial.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                        The beat guy who is "providing ore" is in the best position to provide the first and best analysis of that info.

Beat guys don't reveal even nuance of their knowledge while providing ore. While the bloggers are guessing what the news from the beat guy might mean, the beat guy can provide added value by blogging beyond the newspaper story.

Access is crucial.
                        if he's in the first and best position to analyze the info, why is he waiting to blog about it later?
                        I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

he isn't necessarily waiting.
                          but a casual newspaper reader wants the basic facts, and of course there is a limited amount of newspaper space.

the more hardcore follower wants even more details and analysis than that, which he can get on a good blog. The blog item might be written within an hour after the newspaper article, in some cases.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                            Exactly right. While bloggers have their place, they can never replace the beatwriter who lives with the club damn near 24/7, 365 these days. The amount of content that these guys churn out is simply staggering...and it's solid content for the most part, not parroting what the club wants them to say. And I daresay that every writer than I know would tell the ballclub to go and pound sand if they tried to interfere with what they wrote. That's not to say that stories can't change after more information is released by the club, but it's not a case where a writer changes his story simply because of pressure.
                            Your writers seem to be a more independent bunch than around here.

In my town, the beat writer is the conduit for the team's spin on things. I swear that what gets in the local fish-wrap is straight off the team's media relations printout. This may be because for many years (and still may be the case), the local newspaper owned a piece of the team.

Kind of like the radio/TV guy I call "Idiot Son" because Daddy is the only plausible reason for his employment as an announcer, just stick a release in front of him and he'll read it on the air--while ignoring the f***ing game.

Damn, I'm going to miss Hal McCoy of the Dayton Daily News. He was totally independent, totally honest, and didn't take garbage from anyone, team or opponent. He loved his job, loved the team, but didn't hesitate to blast them when and if they deserved it.
                            Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                            -- William James

Comment

Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
                              Damn, I'm going to miss Hal McCoy of the Dayton Daily News. He was totally independent, totally honest, and didn't take garbage from anyone, team or opponent. He loved his job, loved the team, but didn't hesitate to blast them when and if they deserved it.
                              His pieces on Marge Schott must have been amusing.
                              Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                              We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Working...
                              X