Tax Question: Too many donations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tax Question: Too many donations?

We never donated to Goodwill until last year when the bags of old clothes finally started taking up too much space. So we made a list of everything in them and brought them to Goodwill. We came up with a pretty high $ amount and I'm wondering at what point does the IRS get suspicious about donations on tax returns?
    "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
    We never donated to Goodwill until last year when the bags of old clothes finally started taking up too much space. So we made a list of everything in them and brought them to Goodwill. We came up with a pretty high $ amount and I'm wondering at what point does the IRS get suspicious about donations on tax returns?
    for goodwill stuff you are supposed to claim the value they can sell them for, not the value you bought things for. Most stuff usually sells for a few bucks.
    I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

We usually claim $25/bag unless the stuff was really nice (meaning my wife's work clothes), then we might go $50.

I remember hearing that there was a limit of $500/year... I don't know if that's an actual rule, or a level that raises suspicion, or what.

Comment

I recall you can claim up to $500 total charity without receipts. Otherwise I believe Goodwill has a form you can fill out with recommended amounts.
        people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

Originally posted by Controller Jacobs View Post
          I recall you can claim up to $500 total charity without receipts. Otherwise I believe Goodwill has a form you can fill out with recommended amounts.
          That is my understanding and typically what I claim.

Comment

Originally posted by Controller Jacobs View Post
            They gave us a blank receipt that I suppose we are supposed to fill out. Other than that I have no proof.

I didnt find a price list from the IRS but did find this: http://www.goodwillmidmichigan.org/donationsheet.html
            MEN’S CLOTHING
            Suits ............................. $15-40

Jackets............................ $8-20

Slacks............................. $3-11

Shirts................................ $2-6

Outerwear....................... $7-16

Sweaters........................... $2-8

Accessories....................... $2-8

Shoes.............................. $2-10
            My estimates are mostly on the high end of those ranges, sometimes over. For example I estimated that each non tshirt was $35 new, then took 25% of that giving me $8.75 in donated value. Tshirts were $20 so the donated value was $5. Perhaps I need to reduce my purchased price estimate a little to fall into these ranges.

The bigger problem is that we donated a crapton - probably 10-15 huge yard trash bags filled to the top. So even if I'm well within the ranges in that link above, I'm still donating way more than $500.
            "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

well, you have a receipt, and if you actually itemized what you gave you should be fine if anything is questioned. If you are concerned about bringing unwanted attention for other reasons, then maybe reduce it.
              I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

You're a crook and will end up in jail
                I'm sorry, man, but I've got magic. I've got poetry in my fingertips. Most of the time--and this includes naps --I'm an F-18, bro. And I will destroy you in the air. I will deploy my ordinance to the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                  It's not a big deal, still. Just get a receipt from Goodwill when you donate and you're covered. I'd suggest that you use their donation $ schedule instead of making up your own, though.
                  thanks, I will ask for their donation schedule.

Comment

Originally posted by billbuckner View Post
                    most likely yes.

Comment

Originally posted by billbuckner View Post
                      Just don't try to borrow a book on fantasy baseball on interlibrary loan from Mith's library when you do get sent up.
                      "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
                        most likely yes.
                        Talk to gashousegang about taxes...
                        I always liked Alfonseca and he is twice the pitcher Hall of Famer Mordecai Brown was - cavebird 12-8-05
                        You'd be surprised on how much 16 months in a federal pen can motivate you - gashousegang 7-31-06
                        "...That said, the hippo will always be the gold standard here" - Heyelander's VD XII avatar analysis of SeaDogStat 1-29-07
                        It's surprising that attempts to coordinate large groups of socially retarded people would end in this kind of chaos. - Cobain's Ghost 12-19-07

Comment

Working...
                        X