My disabled dachshund, Part Two

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My disabled dachshund, Part Two

Some may remember, back before the format change I had posted about our little 6-year old dachshund, Willie. We had not caught the early signs that he was having back trouble, and by the time we did, he was completely unable to walk or stand. The vet said a $3500 procedure might help, but we just didn't have the money.

I wrote in to see if anyone had experience with a paralyzed pet, and whether it was better to let him do the best he could or put him down. I got some good suggestions and support, but what stood out the most were nulllie's posts. As I recall, he said among other things that Willie would take his cues from me. If we treated him well, he would adapt and be a happy dog.

Long story shorter...I'm still recovering from major back surgery, so I've had to spend most of my time right here in the recliner, with Willie right here in my lap. We read and listen to music...well, I read and listen to music while Willie snores. He likes to be rubbed behind the hears. Sometimes we'll spend several hours a day just sitting here together.

We bought him all kinds of harnesses and rigs to help him walk, but he just didn't seem interested in them.

About three weeks ago, I had to get out of my chair, so I set Willie down on the floor beside me. He pulled himself to his feet, took two steps and fell down. Odd, I thought. A couple of days later, he took about ten steps. Every few days, he would take a few steps...awkward, clumsy, feet twisted, but trying to walk.

Now, after four months of not using either back leg for anything, Willie can walk up to around 50 feet, and is getting more surefooted all the time. He's even tried to trot a few times. After four months of our having to take him outside and hold him while he did his "business", now we can just let him out in the back yard. He barks to let us know when he wants back in.

I don't know how this happened. The vet doesn't know either. We don't know if it will last. But it sure has been nice to see Willie get around on his own.

Make no mistake, he has become very spoiled, and still wants to be in my lap whenever possible. But I can't help think that freedom to walk around is making him at least as happy as it has made us.

Anyway, that's what's happening here. Willie the Miracle Dog walks on.

And thanks, nullie, for some great advice.

Great stuff. Who knew listening to Nullie was a good idea?

Comment

Very cool!
      "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
      - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
      - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

That's an awesome story! Enjoy him as long as you can; dogs are remarkable animals.

Comment

awesome!

Pics please.
          "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

Awesome news! My grandfather is going through the same thing at 94. He was basically experiencing dementia a few months ago. He is now able to drive his car. He once told me that the human body is regenerative. I think that applies to any living species.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
            Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
            Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

fantastic stuff. thanks for keeping us up to date. Made me smile.
              I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

That is awesome!
                If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                      Great stuff. Who knew listening to Nullie was a good idea?
                      Listening to nullie is always a good thing. Understanding him, sometimes...

But there's no doubt he loves animals.
                      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

cute dog. I used to have one growing up. Although I now prefer bigger dogs, dachshunds will always have a special place in my heart.
                        "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

Yes, I am an animal whisperer myself, but nullie still makes me think some more.
                          great story and pix..
                          finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Wow, this thread really picked up my spirits! Good for you for hanging in there with your friend.
                            “Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.”
                            -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Originally posted by Wonderboy View Post
                              Wow, this thread really picked up my spirits! Good for you for hanging in there with your friend.
                              We're here in our recliner now. I'm doing draft prep, he's fast asleep. I think he's dreaming about chasing rabbits.

I'm so glad we listened to the people who told us Willie could still have a good quality of life paralyzed. I don't know if this partial recovery is permanent or not, but sure is nice. All those cold and/or rainy nights, having to carry him out and hold him while he did his business...it all was worth it.

Comment

Working...
                              X