2013-2014 NHL Season...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2013-2014 NHL Season...

The pens have looked good, but really I wanted to start this because watching the Flyers self destruct last night was a lot of fun. I was wondering when the best player in the world, err on his own team, err on his own line, might score a goal? I'm sure Giroux can just learn how to fight and fit right in.

OK enough Flyer bashing onto something slightly more constructive. Saw the Avs play the Pens and while they actually didn't get the better of play that night the Avs did win and have looked very good. After Roy's opening night antics I didn't think that was going to work out, but it seems to be going just fine. 7 teams in the west with 17 points or better only 4 in the east.

The Metro Division is a mess right now. Ranger, Devils and Flyers all would miss the playoffs as of today, the Islanders are 2nd in the division and they only have 13 points.

I know the world series was on and it was game 6, but I wasn't rooting for either team so i watched the Bruins - Pens. That was a fun game to watch, it is what I wish all the regular season games were like. It was played with playoff intensity and obviously you just can't get that over 80 plus games. I actually wish the regular season was as long as last year as it made those games all seem to mean something.

Crosby is playing great again and I can only hope he doesn't suffer any injuries. He hasn't had a full regular season since 09-10 when he had 109 points. 22 in 14 is a good start.

Gotta say, Pens did not look very good tonight. Sure, it's one game, and if the Rangers can keep scoring like this (without Nash no less) they are going to be a deadly team. Rangers just out muscled then on the boards and looked like a team that wanted it more.
    I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Agreed bad night for the Pens and a good night for the Rangers. For the Pens I won't worry too much unless it becomes a trend. They have looked very good very regularly and have done it without Neal or Bennett which really has impacted Geno's line and the 3rd line with Sutter. Good win for the Rangers, but they need to put a few more together. That said can we agree that the Flyers are a dumpster fire?

Comment

Originally posted by frae View Post
        Agreed bad night for the Pens and a good night for the Rangers. For the Pens I won't worry too much unless it becomes a trend. They have looked very good very regularly and have done it without Neal or Bennett which really has impacted Geno's line and the 3rd line with Sutter. Good win for the Rangers, but they need to put a few more together. That said can we agree that the Flyers are a dumpster fire?
        Flyers suck. Agreed. Injuries have been a huge problem for the Rangers, Callahan has missed 8 of the 15 games so far this year. Nash has only played 3 games so far and Hagelin just came back five games ago (including tonight) missing the first 10. Stepan was very rusty at the beginning of the season cause he sat out training camp but he'd been much better of late. Finally, Kreider is looking like the offensive beast they have been hoping he would be. They've now won 5 of the last 7, granted some against lousy teams but still that's pretty good. Things are looking up for them.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

If you get to see highlights of Pens Isles tonight the OT winner is why Sid is the best. Back check turns defense into offense goes 1 on 3 and scrores the game winner.

Comment

fun afternoon of hocket yesterday in Ann Arbor - over 100K to see the Red Wings & Leafs at Michigan Stadium. It snowed throughout the game ... reminded me of playing hockey as a kid on frozen ponds up here ...

It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

It was definitely was visually awesome. When it snows like that the hockey itself isn't always great, but it looked great, the game was close, and it came down to a shootout. That should be a win for the NHL.

I'm not watching the west much so I won't comment there, but the Pens and the Bruins look to be the best in the East again and possibly headed to another conference final. Behind Tampa and Montreal is a mess of teams then that could make the playoffs. Besides obviously eliminating Buffalo you can probably also toss the Islanders and Panthers. Beyond that who knows who will get in especially with the new format.

Anyway, I am biased for sure, but the Pens have looked very good even with so many injuries on the blue line. The Dupis injury hurts quite a bit, but a trade should be coming from the blue line depth as people are getting healthy. Hopefully Ray Shero makes another good move and gets Sid a winger.

Comment

I am sure other teams have long injury lists as well, but I'm only acutely aware of the Pens list and boy does it look bad. Maybe not as bad as a few years ago when Sid and Geno were out, but bad enough where I don't think they are the favorites in the east right now. Letang is done for the year, no matter what they put out a stroke that they can't give a definite cause on will end your season. Martin, out for at least 4-6 weeks. That's their best 2 puck moving defenders. Dupis is already done for the season and the young guy that they hoped would play top 6, Beau Bennett is out at least another 3 weeks after missing 12 weeks already. Their cap is painfully tight and maybe if they move Letang to long term injury they can get some relief, but they have a lot of needs now...

top 4 puck moving defender
                top 6 forward
                improved 3rd and 4th line play

If Martin is back before the playoffs this could still work for them and they could get by, but right now this teams best chance of advancing in the playoffs may come down to...gulp...Fleury. Maybe we can hypnotize him and tell him it is the regular season?

Comment

The ultimate PR backfire and I couldn't enjoy it any more if I tried.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

That was hilarious. Thanks I needed that.
                    Bob- I'm not exactly sure it would ROCK as you say it Byron.. it may be cool, by typical text book descriptions. Your opinion of this is shallow and poorly constructed, but allow me to re-craft your initial thought into something tangable.

Comment

I never rooted against the Pens, until Saturday. I had no interest in seeing them play the Flyers in round 1. They lose their minds against them and in round 1 they would have no playoff rhythm yet and would definitely play the Flyers game. Anyway, if they lose to Columbus there was never any real chance. Anyway Eastern rd 1 picks...

Pens in 5 - The Pens are 5-0 in the regular season against CBJ and I just can't see CBJ pulling the upset this year
                      Rangers in 7, I can't pick the Flyers and just hope for a long series
                      B's in 6, the Wings may win a few, but Boston is tough
                      Habs in 6, not sure how this goes, but I'll take crazy coach Therien
                      Last edited by frae; 04-15-2014, 08:45 AM.

Comment

I actually think the Flyers could lose in 5. They do not match up well.
                        Bob- I'm not exactly sure it would ROCK as you say it Byron.. it may be cool, by typical text book descriptions. Your opinion of this is shallow and poorly constructed, but allow me to re-craft your initial thought into something tangable.

Comment

And I'm sure a guy from the Pens will do something idiotic during the playoffs and I'm sure everyone will be happy to point it out, but that said nice play from Lucic last night.

EDIT: what we have also learned is i have no friggen idea how to post a gif or how to take it down when it doesn't work
                          Attached Files

Comment

Pretty dirty hit by Seabrook on Backes. Your team is up by one in the third and you take a major. StL ties it then wins in OT. Fitting....
                            Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!

Comment

Well that was terrible, after getting a 3-1 lead the Jackets outplayed the Pens in every way possible for 2 periods and OT. The only reason the game even made it to OT was Fleury. LeTang looked terrible for a 2nd game in a row and his defensive partner Scuderri did not look much better. Still no goals from Sid or Geno, we will see.

Comment

Working...
                              X