RJ Highball Draft discussion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RJ Highball Draft discussion thread

not much to talk about with the first two picks of course.

in a round or two I'd be curious to see who you all would have taken third. also if you thought JC and I made decent keeper picks; I asked advice from someone who nominally knows what they're doing and they suggested two guys who neither of us took.
    In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

We'll just to let you know i did consider Calderone. I kept Lin due to his lower keeper value.
    Bob- I'm not exactly sure it would ROCK as you say it Byron.. it may be cool, by typical text book descriptions. Your opinion of this is shallow and poorly constructed, but allow me to re-craft your initial thought into something tangable.

Comment

Originally posted by mjl View Post
      not much to talk about with the first two picks of course.

in a round or two I'd be curious to see who you all would have taken third. also if you thought JC and I made decent keeper picks; I asked advice from someone who nominally knows what they're doing and they suggested two guys who neither of us took.
      I love Steph but I think you drafted him way sooner than I would have.

Comment

Major high-risk, high-reward picks at 1.03 and 1.04, again showing how clear a dropoff there is after Durant and James. I'm definitely happier down at 1.09. Although when I thought I did have pick three, I was leaning pretty strongly toward Curry myself.

Comment

My theory was that SG looks thin at the top and there's nobody else who can dominate a category while still being useful in many others like he can.

This was my list of possible keepers:
          Gerald Henderson (would cost me a 15th round pick)
          Jimmy Butler (15th)
          Enes Kanter (14th)
          Jeff Green (13th)
          OJ Mayo (11th)
          Klay Thompson (10th)
          Eric Bledsoe (9th)
          Jose Calderon (9th)
          Jonas Valanciunas (9th)
          Chandler Parsons (9th)
          Wesley Matthews (8th)
          Bradley Beal (8th)
          David West (6th)
          Nic Batum (3rd)
          In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

btw, what are the rules about picking up players midseason and keeper value? specifically, if I cut a guy who I took in the initial draft, and someone else picks him up later, is his keeper price based off the round that he was taken in the initial draft or is it 15th? I assume the former but wanted to check.

Comment

btw, what are the rules about picking up players midseason and keeper value? specifically, if I cut a guy who I took in the initial draft, and someone else picks him up later, is his keeper price based off the round that he was taken in the initial draft or is it 15th? I assume the former but wanted to check.
              Correct, it is based on the round the player was originally drafted. This mostly comes up with guys who get injured and get dropped.

Comment

Not draft discussion, but I have rolled over the league at League Safe. If you want to it is $20. There is no requirement to put in for this. Mjl and joncarlos if your interested I will send you invites.

Payouts:

$20 3rd place.....1st get 70% and 2nd gets 30% of the rest.
                Last edited by Piney Boy; 10-13-2013, 06:11 PM.
                Bob- I'm not exactly sure it would ROCK as you say it Byron.. it may be cool, by typical text book descriptions. Your opinion of this is shallow and poorly constructed, but allow me to re-craft your initial thought into something tangable.

Comment

Surprised Love made it to 6

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                    I think Love was a possibility to go anywhere from 3-6. Grabbing him at #6 is a nice pick.

Comment

I propose a 3 year limit on keepers (original draft year and 2 additional years), simply because some of the better players are going to end up being kept for several years. While an owner should get some payback for being savvy, I think that we may be taking it a bit too far.
                      "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                      - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                      -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                        I propose a 3 year limit on keepers (original draft year and 2 additional years), simply because some of the better players are going to end up being kept for several years. While an owner should get some payback for being savvy, I think that we may be taking it a bit too far.
                        I just got lucky. I knew an 11th round Harden would be a good keeper even as a bench player when I traded for him in 2011-2012, but the trade to Houston that went down after our draft last year but before the start of the season is what propelled him to an early first-round level guy. So yeah, I had him as an 8th round keeper last year, a 5th round keeper this year, and almost certainly a 2nd round keeper next year. But this proposal is a little late, already. One of the reasons I kept Amir Johnson over Nic Batum is that I figured Johnson had the potential to be a keeper for me the next three years. If we go with this proposal, which I'm not necessarily averse to, then I think it would have to grandfather anyone who was kept this season.

Comment

My theory was that SG looks thin at the top and there's nobody else who can dominate a category while still being useful in many others like he can.

This was my list of possible keepers:
                          Gerald Henderson (would cost me a 15th round pick)
                          Jimmy Butler (15th)
                          Enes Kanter (14th)
                          Jeff Green (13th)
                          OJ Mayo (11th)
                          Klay Thompson (10th)
                          Eric Bledsoe (9th)
                          Jose Calderon (9th)
                          Jonas Valanciunas (9th)
                          Chandler Parsons (9th)
                          Wesley Matthews (8th)
                          Bradley Beal (8th)
                          David West (6th)
                          Nic Batum (3rd)
                          Some of those guys weren't even on my list which worries me a bit since I'm not sure I know what I'm doing. I was definitely worried when you didn't take either of the guys on my short list. Butler was a guy I expected one of us would take. My final choice came down to Bledsoe or Batum and I decided to roll the dice on getting an extra superstar if Batum can play that way.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                            I was hoping one more.

J
                            Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                              Why bother? There is an absolute maximum already. Fourth seasons will be very unusual. To get that, the player has to be taken in double digit rounds. You would lose the last rounder you keep til he's 6th round.

I would prefer to see UDFA imputed round 16 not round 18, so they keep as a 13th. Then there is some value to drafting a player vs sifting the pool.

J
                              Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Working...
                              X