Announcing 2011 Starting Pitcher Guide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Announcing 2011 Starting Pitcher Guide

If you have been coming to this site during the baseball off-seasons for any of the last three years, you are probably familiar with my starting pitcher lists. It started back in 2008 with a top 100 list that was pretty well-received so I brought it back in 2009 expanding it to a top 154. Again it went pretty well and so I dedicated more time and more space to the 2010 offering that ended up as an 11 part epic covering 264 pitchers when it was all said & done (BTW, you can check out any of the previous versions in the sidebar at paulsporer.com).

The 2011 Guide is already well underway and I think it is the best offering yet. Put together more thoroughly than ever before, this year’s offering goes beyond the individual player capsules to include so much more. With the 2011 Starting Pitcher Guide in tow, you will be prepared to tackle the hardest part of fantasy baseball regardless of the strategy you want to employ and the league format used in your league.

Introducing the 2011 Starting Pitcher Guide:

* Over 500 pitchers included
    * Deep Minor League coverage for dynasty/ultra league players
    * Team-by-team breakdown
    * Tiered rankings for mixed and single leagues
    * Essays on Starting Pitcher Strategy
    * Contributions by respected industry members of the fantasy baseball community
    * Categorized Sleepers (Not all surprises are created equally)
    * PDF form for easy reading & printing
    * Live Chat shortly after release to answer questions about the rankings
    * Detailed Charts & Graphs
    * Free!!!
    * Chance to win a Tim Lincecum or Justin Verlander jersey

Some of the guest contributors include our own Jason Collette as well as Tim Heaney from KFFL.com, Mike Siano from MLB.com, John Halpin from Fox Sports and Zach Sanders from FanGraphs and RotoHardball with still more likely to join the fray.

As mentioned above, the guide will remain FREE as it has in past years, but this year I will have a PayPal donation button in the sidebar for anyone interested. The guide is my favorite project every year. I happily do the work gratis, but a handful of last year’s readers expressed interest in monetarily showing their appreciation for the work and I didn’t have anything set up to accept such a sentiment.

I decided that if I was going to put up anything that would allow even a nickel to come my way for the work then I was going to make the guide even better and much more comprehensive than the previous years. And for those who do decide to go that route, you will be entered in a drawing for an MLB jersey. On the line is a gray Tim Lincecum jersey and a white Justin Verlander one. I will put the email address of anyone donating into the drawing and the first two out will win.

If you'd like a sample of the team page layouts, head over to PaulSporer.com and the Arizona Diamondbacks are available right now:

Good stuff, Paul. A couple of notes about the Diamondbacks - a few things have changed since you probably wrote that article. Armando Galarraga and Aaron Heilman are now contending for the #5 starter slot, and Micah Owings was signed to a minor league contract. Cesar Valdez was traded to the Pirates as the PTBNL in the Zach Duke deal.

Comment

Paul,

I am anticipating your Tiers as much as any free on line written material about fantasy baseball!!! Thanks for the time and effort you put into it!!!
      Comparing a Fantasy Baseball Draft to an Auction is like comparing Checkers to Chess!!!

Comment

Thank you for the updates. I had Armando marked down for update as I'm a Tigers fan so that one was in my wheelhouse (note: I originally posted the Ari PDF back on the 9th), but I didn't know any of the other three so I really appreciate that. Those will be updated properly in the final cut.

Interested to see if Heilman can start. I feel like he's been wanting to for years.

Comment

Nicely done young man nicely done.

I have had the pleasure of watching you grow up within the RJ community all these years. In that time you have seriously become one of my favorite fantasy writers. With almost a year in-between your work I forget how good you really are. I will be glad to donate to the cause. Now the only question is; am I better off to make several small donations or just one if I want to win one of those jerseys?

Keep up the good work. It is really appreciated.

Comment

Paul, I look forward to reading your take, as per usual.

To anyone asking about my own annual pitching post, I will no longer be doing my Tiers. Paul's work is just as good if not better than mine ever was, and there are insightful writers out there touching on stuff that I simply can't wrap my brain around (Mike Fast -- aka KevinSeitzer -- is doing amazing work on PitchFX over at BP, for example).

I know Paul and I have had our fair share of kerfuffles in the past on the old RJ boards, but I'd like to use this new board as a launching pad for a burying of the hatchet. Paul, I know it's been a bit odd in the past with my post on pitchers using the title "Tiers..." and you finding work-arounds to not naming your's the same thing. I invite you to please use the title from here on out if you deem it appropriate for your posting. If not, no biggie.

My God it's great that baseball season is coming back soon

Comment

Originally posted by Bodhizefa View Post
              Paul, I look forward to reading your take, as per usual.

To anyone asking about my own annual pitching post, I will no longer be doing my Tiers. Paul's work is just as good if not better than mine ever was, and there are insightful writers out there touching on stuff that I simply can't wrap my brain around (Mike Fast -- aka KevinSeitzer -- is doing amazing work on PitchFX over at BP, for example).

I know Paul and I have had our fair share of kerfuffles in the past on the old RJ boards, but I'd like to use this new board as a launching pad for a burying of the hatchet. Paul, I know it's been a bit odd in the past with my post on pitchers using the title "Tiers..." and you finding work-arounds to not naming your's the same thing. I invite you to please use the title from here on out if you deem it appropriate for your posting. If not, no biggie.

My God it's great that baseball season is coming back soon
              That's too bad, it will be missed. I have used your and Paul's lists extensively in my pitching rankings/valuations for the past few years.
              Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
              We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

I know Paul and I have had our fair share of kerfuffles in the past
                kerfuffles

Comment

Your starting pitcher guide is always one of the winter highlights on this site Paul. Thanks in advance for all of your hard work.
                  Last edited by madducks; 01-27-2011, 10:42 PM.
                  “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Good stuff dude cant wait for the final product. Donation will be on the way.

Comment

awesome thank you!
                      Find that level above your head and help you reach it.

Comment

Awesome, I'm so glad we get this again! A superb resource, thanks for the hard work.

Comment

"I know Paul and I have had our fair share of kerfuffles in the past on the old RJ boards, but I'd like to use this new board as a launching pad for a burying of the hatchet."

Class never goes out of style, I always say.

Congratulations for that grace. Just nice to see, doesn't matter that I don't know (or care about) the details....
                          finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

To anyone asking about my own annual pitching post, I will no longer be doing my Tiers.
                            Sad to hear this. I understand your reasoning, especially with Paul stepping up to provide an even more comprehensive breakdown than his already excellent work. That said, I always enjoyed comparing both of your rankings. Even if you feel that others are providing valuable insights with deeper sabermetrical analysis, that doesn't mean your thoughts wouldn't be appreciated. However, again, I understand and I'm sure everyone else does too, not doing such an exhaustive task when others are repeating that work with such diligence and care.

Still, I look forward to you maybe picking out a few names to expound upon if you see guys being ranked way too low or high by other sources, or going way too low or high in early drafts. Perhaps a comprehensive list is a bit redundant given Paul's work, but I'm still hopeful that you toss out your thoughts if/when you feel strongly that pitchers are being under or overvalued by other sources. Alternative perspectives are always useful and appreciated.
                            Last edited by Sour Masher; 01-28-2011, 01:43 AM.

Comment

Ah, well played by Bodz. Now that he no longer has a vested interest he can feel free to take that hatchet and pick apart Paul's rankings.

Only joking guys.

Bodz - you'll have to unleash your rankings on some other aspect of the game. You're not going to be allowed to simply back out of it.

Paul - looking forward to the Tiers as always.

Comment

Working...
                              X