Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Senate Bill 510

Anyone aware of this?

We wish to welcome all new readers to our blog dedicated to exploring current social issues. Read about our first post here.
    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Far be it from me to disagree with truthistreason.com, the second cousin to prisonplanet.com. I mean, seriously, a food safety act?
    “Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.”
    -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

If I do a search on sb510 all I get are conspiracy web sites - anyone got a real news source talking about it?

Comment

The Christian Science Monitor had an article about this bill a couple of months ago:

The Food Safety Modernization Act has riled everyone from liberal 'locavores' to conservative tea party groups. Here's a rundown of what's really in the Senate bill.

Comment

I read the other day that the health care bill was the "worst" law in U.S. history. Now we have SB510 as the most "dangerous" bill in U.S. history. Here's my question...if SB510 becomes law, which of the two will cause the most bad stuff to happen?

Comment

Originally posted by OaklandA's View Post
            The Christian Science Monitor had an article about this bill a couple of months ago:

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Politic...acts-and-myths
            An excellent reference article, BTW. I'd have liked to see the farm income exemption higher (a number of our local organic and fully sustainable farms have incomes over $1 MM), and far stricter inspections of foreign food, but it's a pretty decent bill overall.
            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
              These websites are stupid and I don't understand why you, Mith, seem to frequent them.

That said, I think there are valid concerns being voiced about this bill by rational people. Now, those rational people don't apparently write for truthistreason.net, but this bill does appear to affect local and organic and community growers adversely.
              From the website: http://www.truthistreason.net/about-contact

Granted I look at some fringe websites, but some of the comments are very good. who do you trust to give you the truth? The national media? Maybe. Who else?

I just have little trust in the government to do what's right for us.
              Last edited by Mithrandir; 01-28-2011, 01:20 AM.
              "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                who do you trust to give you the truth? The national media? Maybe. Who else?
                The Christian Science Monitor was excellent back when I read it as a paper publication. I would assume their online coverage is similarly excellent, though I'll admit I don't read it regularly.
                "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                  The Christian Science Monitor was excellent back when I read it as a paper publication. I would assume their online coverage is similarly excellent, though I'll admit I don't read it regularly.
                  One of the better publications for think pieces and straight analysis, imo.
                  "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                    I just have little trust in the government to do what's right for us.
                    Well, that's a good attitude to have, IMO, under any administration. Dissent is patriotic, other than against the administration that's in power at the time.

Granted I look at some fringe websites, but some of the comments are very good. who do you trust to give you the truth? The national media? Maybe. Who else?
                    Hmmm...I'd say the national media has pretty much fallen down on the job. CSM does some good work, WaPo still has some quality in it (though it takes some sifting), and ABC's web-related work has some good reporting on it. Other than that, the national media occasionally has a good story, but it's like the blind squirrel finding a nut.

But if you want to read better quality work, put some time in finding quality blogs. As a for example, if you want to know what's going on in world-wide hotspots, and get the absolute best mil-blog reading - find Michael Yon's work.
                    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                      ...but it's like the blind squirrel finding a nut.
                      Hey, leave Sharp Talons out of this!
                      “Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.”
                      -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Working...
                      X