Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grant Hill Responds to Jalen Rose's comments, in aftermath of "Fab Five" Documentary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grant Hill Responds to Jalen Rose's comments, in aftermath of "Fab Five" Documentary

This has taken a life of it's own.

Grant Hill responds to comments about Duke by Jalen Rose in the ESPN film “The Fab Five.”

It seems the big problem is that African Americans feel the need to call other African Americans "Uncle Tom's".
    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
      It seems the big problem is that African Americans feel the need to call other African Americans "Uncle Tom's".
      I think it was poor wording on Rose's part, but his frustration with what he classified as Duke privilege was communicated. Despite this clumsy choice of words, he came off as very likable and endearing throughout the entire documentary.
      Last edited by ; 03-16-2011, 04:28 PM.

Comment

i never realized hill was so eloquent. when was the last time you heard a basketball player (or from any other professional sport) use "Ad ingenium faciendum"?
        "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

All of the Uncle Tom's at Duke speak like that.

Grant Hill -- still undefeated against Michigan

Comment

Grant Hill's father, a 1,000-yard rusher for the Cowboys, went to Yale. His mother went to Wellesley. I rather doubt anyone was handing him a cheat sheet in class.

Jason Whitlock has been on a Twitter binge, expressing his frustration that it isn't just the Klan that's saying that having supportive fathers and backing education is "not black" - "it's us," as he put it.

That's really impressive writing by Hill. Calmly stake your case all the way through, come across as the reasonable one - then write a kicker that's more stiletto than sledgehammer but it gets the job DONE.
            finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
            own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
            won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
            RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
            C Stallings 2, Casali 1
            1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
            OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
              Grant Hill's father, a 1,000-yard rusher for the Cowboys, went to Yale.
              Calvin Hill is one of the finest speakers I've had the pleasure of listening to.

The apple didn't fall far from the tree.
              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                That's really impressive writing by Hill. Calmly stake your case all the way through, come across as the reasonable one - then write a kicker that's more stiletto than sledgehammer but it gets the job DONE.
                Yes, but I watched the full documentary (it is great) and it doesn't change the fact the Rose made it very, very clear that he was talking about what he thought as an 18-year-old kid from inner city Detroit and that he doesn't feel that way today. I feel like Hill went out of his way not to acknowledge the fact that the comment was a historical look back at what Rose and the rest of the Fab Five felt at the time and in the context of where he comes from compared to the more privileged black athletes often recruited by Duke. Highly recommend the doc, god I loved watching that team.

Comment

I didn't see it, and am hearing conflicting things about all that. But yes, I have seen that point raised.

That's also a thing about impressive writing - as propaganda, it uses the same methodology, and it's also effective.
                  finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                  own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                  won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                  RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                  C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                  1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                  OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by SenorSmoke View Post
                    god I loved watching that team.
                    Yeah, as University Of Illinois alumnus, I could watch this all day...

:laughing devil smiley:

I actually felt really bad for Chris Webber. That was one helluva team.
                    "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                    "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                    "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

Originally posted by SenorSmoke View Post
                      Yes, but I watched the full documentary (it is great) and it doesn't change the fact the Rose made it very, very clear that he was talking about what he thought as an 18-year-old kid from inner city Detroit and that he doesn't feel that way today. I feel like Hill went out of his way not to acknowledge the fact that the comment was a historical look back at what Rose and the rest of the Fab Five felt at the time and in the context of where he comes from compared to the more privileged black athletes often recruited by Duke. Highly recommend the doc, god I loved watching that team.
                      I watched it too. Very entertaining. Loved the old footage. Webber was not part of the documentary.

Comment

Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
                        Yeah, as University Of Illinois alumnus, I could watch this all day...

:laughing devil smiley:

They showed some evidence that someone from the bench was signaling a time out, but also pointed out they made it clear they were out of time outs.

Comment

I dont care how Rose phrased it. You just cant use that term no matter your intention. Just like white people cannot use the word 'nigger' no matter its use.

I havent seen it yet. I am looking forward to.
                          After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

Originally posted by senorsheep View Post

I thought the extended footage of him walking back to the locker room after that game was positively chilling -- great footage. As an aside, several years later the Kings were in town facing the woeful Timberwolves and I scored front row tickets directly behind the basket from a work contact. In a key moment at the end of the game, Webber was on the line and just as he went into his free throw motion I screamed "TIMEOUT!" as loud as I could. Webber stopped short and started cracking up, shaking his head back and forth with a big old smile. He collected himself and proceeded to drop two free throws to seal the game. Obnoxious yes and I'm sure he'd heard it a hundred times before but it was cool to see he had a sense of humor about it years later . . .
                            Last edited by ; 03-17-2011, 11:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                              I dont care how Rose phrased it. You just cant use that term no matter your intention. Just like white people cannot use the word 'nigger' no matter its use.

I havent seen it yet. I am looking forward to.
                              Watch it and see if your feelings change -- I thought it was refreshingly candid. The question posed to him, loosely, was "What did you think of those guys back then?" and Rose answered the question truthfully: "We thought they were Uncle Toms" and "soft" and "little b*thces". I'm quite certain that is EXACTLY what they thought back in 92-93 and any other answer would have been dishonest. I thought Rose came across as a genuinely likable guy.

Comment

Working...
                              X