Airport body scanners radiation levels 10x higher than previously thought

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Airport body scanners radiation levels 10x higher than previously thought

Seems like something small to worry about with all the stuff in Japan lately but I thought it was newsworthy...

The Transportation Security Administration is re-analyzing the radiation levels of X-ray body scanners installed in airports nationwide, after testing produced dramatically higher-than-expected results.

The TSA, which has deployed at least 500 body scanners to at least 78 airports, said Tuesday the machines meet all safety standards and would remain in operation despite a “calculation error” in safety studies. The flawed results showed radiation levels 10 times higher than expected.

At least one flier group, the Association for Airline Passenger Rights, is urging the government to stop using the $180,000 machines that produce a virtual-nude image of the body until new tests are concluded in May.
    The Transportation Security Administration is re-analyzing the radiation levels of X-ray body scanners installed in airports nationwide, after testing produced dramatically higher-than-expected results. The TSA, which has deployed at least 500 body scanners to at least 78 airports, said Tuesday the machines meet all safety standards and would remain in operation despite a “calculation error” […]
    "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

I wonder what Yukio Edano would have to say about this.

Comment

Decimal points are all the rage this year.

Comment

I guess the TSA thread was on the old site, but did anyone see the video of them doing a full frisk on a 6-year-old girl? So sickening and nice to see Rep Jason Chaffetz drafting a bill to stop this madness, or "security theater" as we both like to call it.

The proposed legislation would require that a parent must give their consent before a child receives a pat-down, and that the child must remain with the parent while the pat-down is performed.
        Oh wait, the statist defenders will claim, now Al-Qaeda will just strap bombs to their children since they won't be subject to searches. Unbelievable.

And, even if passed, I can only imagine what will happen to parents who refuse to consent.
        If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
        - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

flying non-stop from Mexico City to SF, no body scanner, no patdown, I didn't even need to take off my shoes.....it was like going through a "special event" metal detector...
          "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

I'm sure a court battle is looming on this, but it's about frickin' time.

The Texas House passed a bill that would make it a criminal offense for public servants to inappropriately touch travelers during airport security pat-downs.

Approved late Thursday night, the measure makes it illegal for anyone conducting searches to touch “the anus, sexual organ, buttocks, or breast of another person” including through clothing.
            If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
            - Terence McKenna

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
              I'm sure a court battle is looming on this, but it's about frickin' time.

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2011/05/13/t...ity-pat-downs/
              Sorry, but that's asinine. Either conduct pat down searches or don't-- it is no secret that weapons can be smuggled in the rectum or vagina, that things can be taped between breasts or buttocks or thighs specifically because of sensitivity about searching those areas. I can understand the argument of not doing pat-downs at all, but if it is resolved that they are going to be done they must be done effectively.
              "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

I guess the TSA thread was on the old site, but did anyone see the video of them doing a full frisk on a 6-year-old girl? So sickening and nice to see Rep Jason Chaffetz drafting a bill to stop this madness, or "security theater" as we both like to call it.

Oh wait, the statist defenders will claim, now Al-Qaeda will just strap bombs to their children since they won't be subject to searches. Unbelievable.

And, even if passed, I can only imagine what will happen to parents who refuse to consent.
                "Statist defenders", lol... god, you are just one big cliche-- and an uninformed one, to boot. Children have been used as bomb carriers in Viet Nam and in Israel. That sucks and as I said in the other post I can see an argument to not do pat downs at all, but again, only an idiot would give the issue two seconds of thought and come away thinking that if pat downs are going to be done anyone should be exempted.
                "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

I am 10X more worried about checked luggage than anything someone can strap to themselves
                  "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Sure, but then again we saw what box cutters could do. Now I doubt that a knife or even gun attack could ever achieve the same result again with armored cockpits and pilots who are no longer instructed to follow the instructions of hijackers and thus am not sure that any pat downs are needed or necessary as long as explosives sniffers are employed, but if it is insisted that pat downs are essential to ensure safety then it is idiotic to do ineffectual pat downs. In my mind this is a pretty clear "all or nothing" situation-- do it right and without limitation or don't bother with the inconvenience at all. I'm probably good with either of those choices.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Kohm View Post
                      "Statist defenders", lol... god, you are just one big cliche-- and an uninformed one, to boot. Children have been used as bomb carriers in Viet Nam and in Israel. That sucks and as I said in the other post I can see an argument to not do pat downs at all, but again, only an idiot would give the issue two seconds of thought and come away thinking that if pat downs are going to be done anyone should be exempted.
                      Funny, you're also one big word that ends in ___che.
                      - Terence McKenna

Comment

Funny, you're also one big word that ends in ___che.
                        Here's the thing: you can trade names all you like, (I mean, "statist defenders", lol!!!) but what you can't do is refute an argument that exposes the weaknesses of your own

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                          Yeah, our efforts at the TSA have been laughably misguided for quite some time. The whole "be afraid, be very afraid" mantra used to justify exceptionally questionable things at airports has never sat very well with me.
                          It's possible that you are right as some of them have clearly been dumb. Some, however, have been smart-- upgraded checks and scans on baggage for one, keeping the government largely out of the way of baggage fees imposed by airlines that reduced cargo needing to be checked, personal explosives sniffers and even the backscatter x-rays have all made sense. The ban on nail clippers in the cabin? Not so much . Pat downs? Put in more of the backscatter X-Rays and explosives sniffers and they are clearly superfluous, ditto on taking off shoes.

Comment

Working...
                          X