PDA

View Full Version : It's Back: Exceelent Movies I've Seen Lately

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Trautdiggity
01-27-2011, 01:17 PM
One of my favorite threads as there are always good insights into movies I may have missed.

Saw The Town and thought it was very entertaining. It's amazing how Affleck can be so terrible in most situations but does fine when he's playing a Boston townie. Jeremy Renner is very good and from what I've heard, absent Christian Bale could have had a shot at the Oscar (I haven't seen the Fighter yet but sounds like a lock).

Also watched Despicable Me and really enjoyed it (more than Toy Story 3). Surprised it didn't get an Oscar nom.

TranaGreg
01-27-2011, 01:20 PM
Speaking of Affleck, we saw The Company Men on the weekend. Good flick, I went into it with a bit of a cynical edge but came out finding the whole thing very well done. A very good account of the transition (or earthquake, depending on where you sit) our economy & society is going through.

off_the_wall
01-27-2011, 08:46 PM
Speaking of Affleck, we saw The Company Men on the weekend. Good flick, I went into it with a bit of a cynical edge but came out finding the whole thing very well done. A very good account of the transition (or earthquake, depending on where you sit) our economy & society is going through.

The trailer made the movie seem like a snoozer despite the good cast.

revo
01-29-2011, 11:10 AM
Finally saw Secretariat last night, and as a horse racing fan and Secretariat aficionado, I'm pre-disposed to love it. But that said, I was disappointed with the dramatic liberties taken with the plot. It's OK for Disney to add a dramatic scene in their sports movies to drive home a point -- like the radar gun pitch on the highway in 'The Rookie,' -- but when they start concocting history, it's another.

I think 99 out of 100 would not know (or care) that it was in fact Secretariat's stablemate Riva Ridge who saved The Meadow Stable from going under. Riva Ridge was 2-year old champion in 1971 and then took the 1972 Kentucky Derby and Belmont -- this all before Secretariat even made his 1st start in July 1972. Riva Ridge was also trained by Lucien Laurin (played by John Malkovich), so basically Laurin, jockey Ron Turcotte and Meadow Stable were on a historic tear when Secretariat took the Triple Crown.

Teenwolf
01-29-2011, 02:35 PM
Love and Other Drugs - One of the better romantic comedies I've seen. If you're one of those guys in a relationship that occasionally has to put up with rom-coms, I'd highly recommend this one. Also, you get to see Anne Hathaway naked, quite a bit. Just don't mention that aspect to the GF when you're trying to sell her on it, and act shocked when it gets to those parts.

She's Out Of My League - Can you tell that I wanted to shut my brain off? This movie isn't as bad as it looks, or as I expected. Nasal Jay Baruchel can get a little bit annoying, but this is easy to watch, and another you may want to watch with your significant other.

Four Lions - Pretty odd comedy, about Muslim terrorists in the UK, trying to martyr themselves in a suicide bombing. I quite liked it, and found it pretty amazing that you end up rooting for the terrorists. I don't know if this is out yet, but here's the trailer:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/FZ8KwVp0MR8" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

off_the_wall
01-29-2011, 06:21 PM
Just saw The Prestige. Meh.

Easily the worst Christopher Nolan movie that I've seen. Plot holes that you could drive a truck through. I think this might also be the only time I've seen Christian Bale give a bad acting performance. Parts of the movie were intriguing and kept me entertained but this was a C+ movie at best.

I liked this movie, a lot (granted, I did think Hugh Jackman out-acted Bale in this movie). Certainly better than the Illusionist released around the same time. A mediocre Nolan movie still better than 75% of what's out there.

Gregg
01-29-2011, 06:44 PM
Love and Other Drugs - One of the better romantic comedies I've seen. If you're one of those guys in a relationship that occasionally has to put up with rom-coms, I'd highly recommend this one. Also, you get to see Anne Hathaway naked, quite a bit. Just don't mention that aspect to the GF when you're trying to sell her on it, and act shocked when it gets to those parts.

"when I am trying to sell her on it"...what!? No selling, no Love and Other Drugs, I am not going. Now if she wants to try and sell me on it, the bidding is going to start way higher than a naked Anne Hathaway (no offense Ms Hathaway as I know you are a frequent lurker). New York Strip medium rare, mushrooms and onions, bake potato before hand. Afterwards MLB and a nice back rub.

Did you lose your man card?

Hornsby
01-29-2011, 10:20 PM

Easily the worst Christopher Nolan movie that I've seen. Plot holes that you could drive a truck through. I think this might also be the only time I've seen Christian Bale give a bad acting performance. Parts of the movie were intriguing and kept me entertained but this was a C+ movie at best.

The book was even worse...badly written and poorly thought out. I have no idea how this thing was made into a movie...let alone get "A" actors and a great director attached to it.

ironfist
01-29-2011, 11:23 PM
I liked this movie, a lot (granted, I did think Hugh Jackman out-acted Bale in this movie). Certainly better than the Illusionist released around the same time. A mediocre Nolan movie still better than 75% of what's out there.

I thought it was good too, but a bit overrated. I thought that the "twist" at the end was too obvious. I think I actually liked the Illusionist better because it didn't have the weird sci-fi aspect to it that the Prestige had.

Teenwolf
01-30-2011, 02:29 AM
"when I am trying to sell her on it"...what!? No selling, no Love and Other Drugs, I am not going. Now if she wants to try and sell me on it, the bidding is going to start way higher than a naked Anne Hathaway (no offense Ms Hathaway as I know you are a frequent lurker). New York Strip medium rare, mushrooms and onions, bake potato before hand. Afterwards MLB and a nice back rub.

Did you lose your man card?

I watched Love and Other Drugs all alone, for fun! Really, I liked it. First, it reverses the typical roles of the guy as the player, girl as the romantic, in a convincing way. Second, unlike most rom-coms, where one of the dummies misinterprets an overheard telephone conversation of the other dummies' (or something similar), the dynamics of this relationship feel genuine. And thirdly, Anne Hathaway has lovely jubblies.

NakedRicci
01-30-2011, 11:17 PM

I agree, I enjoyed this film as well. Not really my bag frankly, as I typically prefer the more indie/art film style, but I liked it.

B-Fly
01-31-2011, 11:37 AM
On Saturday night, Beth and I got to only our fourth movie in an actual movie theater since our daughter was born in September 2008. We've got to work harder to line up sitters, because we miss the movies and watching DVDs in our living room after Marlee goes to sleep ain't the same. We saw Blue Valentine, which while certainly not uplifting, was a really excellent film with great performances by Ryan Gosling and Michelle Williams. One caveat - this is not a movie to see with a date or if you're questioning your relationship. You'll walk out and vow never to speak to each other again. :)

revo
01-31-2011, 12:32 PM

Hmmm -- I loved this movie. Even watched much of it a second time to make sure I understood it!

revo
01-31-2011, 01:31 PM
It's hard to talk about the movie here without discussing spoilers, but there were several parts that were just plain deal-breakers for me. The deus ex machina explanations were plain ridiculous. It wasn't boring at all, though, and kept me thinking.

Here's a plot hole that typified the movie for me (sorta spoiler):

Bale sends Jackman on, presumably, a wild goose chase to go see Tesla (who is amusingly being hounded by Thomas Edison's goons....lol). Oh, but wait! Tesla actually does have a magic machine! Wow, that worked out well for Jackman even though Bale sent him there to chase his own tail.

I agree you had to suspend reality (after all, cloning in the 1890s?) but if you did, the movie was pretty enjoyable with nice plot twists.

Teenwolf
02-02-2011, 05:00 AM
The King's Speech - Thought this was very good. About what I expected from it, slow but interesting. Not quite best picture material, but it deserves its spot in the top 10.

Charade - 1963 light-hearted murder mystery starring Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn. Highly enjoyable.

Paranormal Activity 2 - I think both of these films are exceelent. They seem to be love/hate movies. For me, the low-budget aesthetic makes me feel things all the more. If you liked the first one, this definitely lives up to the original. If you haven't seen either one, do yourself a favour and get on it.

Monsters - Reviews are somewhat mixed for this, so I went in expecting a mediocre b-monster movie. What this actually is, is a pretty affecting character story with very little action, using creatures as the catalyst for tension, but not with the typical "oh ****, run" sequence of chase scenes. Really enjoyed this, but be warned that it is NOT an action movie.

ironfist
02-02-2011, 09:38 AM
About as far from Exeelent as you can get, I watched Night of the Lepus last night. Hey the Year of the Rabbit is coming up right? Anyway, it was as terrible as you can expect from such a ridiculous premise (attack of giant killer bunnies). However, it was one of those so-bad-it's-good type of movies. If you enjoy that sort of thing, it should probably be on your list. Most of the scenes are pretty dull, but the rabbit rampage scenes are hilarious. All that and Deforrest Kelly too!

Gregg
02-02-2011, 11:00 AM
We rented RED last night.....I loved it.

I believe it was brought up at the Old House. I am like B-Fly and rarely go to a theater anymore. This makes me a bit behind the times of seeing some of the movies that are discussed in here.

RED was funny, exciting, filled with great characters, just a great time. My wife and daughter loved it too.

JudeBaldo
02-06-2011, 08:22 AM
The King's Speech better win Best Picture and Colin Firth better win Best Actor. I really enjoyed this film. This wasn't an epic like Lawrence of Arabia or anything but it was just well done and acted. Though its weakest moments -- the editing -- were The Social Network's strongest points. But The Social Network does not have the beauty or splendidly shot scenes that The King's Speech has.

Teenwolf
02-08-2011, 06:23 AM
Diner - 1982 flick about a group of friends in their mid-20's trying to figure out what to do with their lives in 1959. Some great performances here from Kevin Bacon and Mickey Rourke in particular. Not a whole lot happens in this, but it was a fun watch.

High Tension - French horror flick from 2003 that's gained some cult status. Pretty standard horror, guy chasing hot young women around... but there's a twist. The last 20 minutes flip a switch, and it's awesome. If you like horror, this one is worth checking out.

Conviction - Whatever you do, don't watch any trailers for this. They give away the entire movie, point for point. It's one of those incredible true stories that end up feeling somewhat unnecessary when you see the final product. Performances from Hilary Swank and Sam Rockwell are good, as you would expect. It just didn't feel very genuine to me. I'd rather see a documentary on this story than this movie. You could do worse than watching this with the family/wife though.

Due Date - Buddy roadtrip movie with Robert Downey Jr. and Zach Galifianakis. The stupidity of Galifianakis' character is a bit over the top at some points, but overall it was fairly enjoyable.

Friday The 13th - Not quite a remake, more of a re-imagining of the original. Actually, the first movie is summed up within the first 10 minutes, then takes a completely different path, so this is like a re-imagining of an early sequel. In this, Jason Voorhees is much more of a survivalist character (think Rambo), using traps and tripwires to get at his victims. Kind of interesting. Still not a good movie, but an interesting take on the Jason character, for sure. Again, for horror movie fans only. Does anybody here like horror? Scott?

Trader Mac
02-08-2011, 08:54 AM
I rented and saw the recent True Grit last night and really liked it. Jeff Bridges did a great job with his character. I never saw the original so I can't compare with the first one.

ironfist
02-08-2011, 09:12 AM
High Tension - French horror flick from 2003 that's gained some cult status. Pretty standard horror, guy chasing hot young women around... but there's a twist. The last 20 minutes flip a switch, and it's awesome. If you like horror, this one is worth checking out.

Friday The 13th - Not quite a remake, more of a re-imagining of the original. Actually, the first movie is summed up within the first 10 minutes, then takes a completely different path, so this is like a re-imagining of an early sequel. In this, Jason Voorhees is much more of a survivalist character (think Rambo), using traps and tripwires to get at his victims. Kind of interesting. Still not a good movie, but an interesting take on the Jason character, for sure. Again, for horror movie fans only. Does anybody here like horror? Scott?

I agree with you on High Tension - pretty brutal flick though. But I hated hated hated the remade Friday the 13th. It was a pretty straightforward slasher movie - nothing new at all. Frankly, I don't get why they felt the need to remake this one at all if this is what they were going to do with it.

Teenwolf
02-09-2011, 02:41 AM
I agree with you on High Tension - pretty brutal flick though. But I hated hated hated the remade Friday the 13th. It was a pretty straightforward slasher movie - nothing new at all. Frankly, I don't get why they felt the need to remake this one at all if this is what they were going to do with it.

It's another in the string of Platinum Dunes horror remakes. They've done 7 horror flicks since 2003, including 5 remakes. If you ever wonder why Hollywood generally sucks so badly, look at this company's wiki page. The highest rated film on rotten tomatoes is a 21% for The Amityville Horror, as rated by critics. Even fans hate these movies though, as the highest user rating for any film is 36% for The Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

Despite all of this, these films have an average budget just a shade under $20 Million, and gross an average of just over $90 Million.

That said, I didn't think either Friday The 13th or Nightmare On Elm Street were really bad. They added very minor touches, but mostly played it safe. It's just unfortunate that they missed out on opportunities to really do something different.

ironfist
02-09-2011, 09:16 AM
It's another in the string of Platinum Dunes horror remakes. They've done 7 horror flicks since 2003, including 5 remakes. If you ever wonder why Hollywood generally sucks so badly, look at this company's wiki page. The highest rated film on rotten tomatoes is a 21% for The Amityville Horror, as rated by critics. Even fans hate these movies though, as the highest user rating for any film is 36% for The Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

Despite all of this, these films have an average budget just a shade under $20 Million, and gross an average of just over $90 Million.

That said, I didn't think either Friday The 13th or Nightmare On Elm Street were really bad. They added very minor touches, but mostly played it safe. It's just unfortunate that they missed out on opportunities to really do something different.

I haven't seen the new Nightmare, but the Texas Chainsaw remake wasn't too bad, in my opinion. That may just be because I haven't seen the original (I know I know). I can't take the rotten tomato scores too seriously for these kinds of movies, since horror movies don't usually get good grades from critics, but that list of movies is pretty horrible.

revo
02-09-2011, 01:33 PM
the best part about having kids is that most of these animated moves they want to watch are awesome, and I'd never see them otherwise.

Just saw Despicable Me and it's right up there with some of the better movies I've seen recently.

Some others:
Takers -- from what I remember of it, decent enough action, but I hate movies where they treat the bad guys as masterminds and the good guys as buffoons.

Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps -- Gordon Gekko as a kind-hearted soul? Puh-leeeze. What's next, Hannibal Lecter as a philanthropist? The scene between Gekko and Bud Fox (Charlie Sheen making a cameo) was eye rollingly bad. The plot was ripped right out of the Lehman Brothers disaster. Watchable, but not anything like the original.

The Other Guys -- horribly unfunny. It's mildly amusing that I expect more out of Mark Wahlberg. Eva Mendes' copious rack is the best part of the flick.

Teenwolf
02-09-2011, 03:21 PM
the best part about having kids is that most of these animated moves they want to watch are awesome, and I'd never see them otherwise.

Agreed. The Pixar films of the past 4-5 years are some of the best films around, and Dreamworks seems to be catching up.

My girl adores Despicable Me.

Fresno Bob
02-09-2011, 03:33 PM
anyone seen this yet, looks weirdly awesome!

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/maMF3E7WlBs&rel=0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/maMF3E7WlBs&rel=0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

hacko
02-09-2011, 06:50 PM
The Other Guys -- horribly unfunny. It's mildly amusing that I expect more out of Mark Wahlberg. Eva Mendes' copious rack is the best part of the flick.[/QUOTE]

You are right a really bad movie - But it was so bad it started to make me laugh. WHile i will never watch it again I did find myself laughing at the movie not with it

Friarfan
02-09-2011, 09:54 PM

I'm pretty sure I wrote up High Tension in here a while back. One of my favorite horror movies to come out in the past 2 decades or so (along with The Descent). I've been meaning to go back and watch it again and see if the "twist" still holds up.

The trend of "re-imagining" horror movies the last few years has worn really, really thin (Stay far, far away from Last House on the Left - just a friggin slap in the face to a classic). Still, I've seen all 19 Saw films so I will probably see this soon. I actually do want to see the new Nightmare on Elm Street because I think the whole backstory it goes in to is interesting (was he really a pedophile or was he mistaken with someone else?). Nonetheless, the entire original series was carried on the charisma that Robert Englund brought to Freddy, and, while I think Jackie Earle Haley is intriguing, I can't see being nothing but disappointed when compared to the original.

I haven't been able to see as many movies lately (funny how getting a life will do that to you) but I've got an ever-growing Netflix horror section.

Trautdiggity
02-09-2011, 10:12 PM

Just saw Despicable Me and it's right up there with some of the better movies I've seen recently.

Some others:
Takers -- from what I remember of it, decent enough action, but I hate movies where they treat the bad guys as masterminds and the good guys as buffoons.

Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps -- Gordon Gekko as a kind-hearted soul? Puh-leeeze. What's next, Hannibal Lecter as a philanthropist? The scene between Gekko and Bud Fox (Charlie Sheen making a cameo) was eye rollingly bad. The plot was ripped right out of the Lehman Brothers disaster. Watchable, but not anything like the original.

The Other Guys -- horribly unfunny. It's mildly amusing that I expect more out of Mark Wahlberg. Eva Mendes' copious rack is the best part of the flick.

Totally agreed on Despicable Me: Loved it. As for Wall St. I'd say borderline unwatchable. Seriously can someone explain to me why Shia LeBeouf is getting parts in movies? I find him terrible.

Teenwolf
02-10-2011, 06:40 AM
I'm pretty sure I wrote up High Tension in here a while back. One of my favorite horror movies to come out in the past 2 decades or so (along with The Descent). I've been meaning to go back and watch it again and see if the "twist" still holds up.

The trend of "re-imagining" horror movies the last few years has worn really, really thin (Stay far, far away from Last House on the Left - just a friggin slap in the face to a classic). Still, I've seen all 19 Saw films so I will probably see this soon. I actually do want to see the new Nightmare on Elm Street because I think the whole backstory it goes in to is interesting (was he really a pedophile or was he mistaken with someone else?). Nonetheless, the entire original series was carried on the charisma that Robert Englund brought to Freddy, and, while I think Jackie Earle Haley is intriguing, I can't see being nothing but disappointed when compared to the original.

I haven't been able to see as many movies lately (funny how getting a life will do that to you) but I've got an ever-growing Netflix horror section.

Whenever you get around to watching it, give a review of the Nightmare On Elm Street remake. I really liked Jackie Earle Haley in the role, but I felt that the entire backstory about the pedophilia was mishandled. I won't ruin the ending, I just felt like they had a chance to do something really interesting with his character and they completely blew it.

Gregg
02-10-2011, 12:53 PM

You are right a really bad movie - But it was so bad it started to make me laugh. WHile i will never watch it again I did find myself laughing at the movie not with it[/QUOTE]

I was expecting it to be very bad. I was actually pleasantly surprised. I found myself laughing.

In perspective I thought that this was twice as funny as Dumb and Dumber.

off_the_wall
02-11-2011, 10:18 AM

You are right a really bad movie - But it was so bad it started to make me laugh. WHile i will never watch it again I did find myself laughing at the movie not with it[/QUOTE]

If you go in with low expectations, then this movie will meet or exceed them. Not awful but certainly not a classic either and yes, Eva Mendes is likely the best thing about this movie.

revo
02-12-2011, 11:04 AM
Saw The American last night. Itttttttt waaaaaaaas aaaaaaaaaas sloooooooooooow assssssssssss mooolaaaaaaaaaaasssssessssss.

Bob Kohm
02-12-2011, 11:13 AM
Saw The American last night. Itttttttt waaaaaaaas aaaaaaaaaas sloooooooooooow assssssssssss mooolaaaaaaaaaaasssssessssss.

Which worked well as Revo was able to really develop his erotic fantasies about George Clooney... NTTAWWT

revo
02-12-2011, 12:16 PM
Which worked well as Revo was able to really develop his erotic fantasies about George Clooney... NTTAWWT

You have to admit, he is pretty hunky.

heyelander
02-17-2011, 06:54 PM
was bored last night so I went to see The Green Hornet. I expected it to be bad, but I didn't expect it to be nearly as annoying as it was. Seth Rogan was not sympathetic in the least and I was rooting for him to get hurt/killed for a good part of the movie. Not even slightly exceelent.

BuckyBuckner
02-17-2011, 07:13 PM

No you are wrong, it was slower than that.

revo
02-17-2011, 07:44 PM
No you are wrong, it was slower than that.

You're right, it was. I couldn't believe it took half the movie, about one hour, to just build the damned gun. The movie would've been great if they went from the opening scene to the final scene, and cut out the 90 minutes in between.

Teenwolf
02-17-2011, 07:55 PM
You're right, it was. I couldn't believe it took half the movie, about one hour, to just build the damned gun. The movie would've been great if they went from the opening scene to the final scene, and cut out the 90 minutes in between.

Agree that it was very slow, but I actually loved the whole building of the gun sequence. Especially the way he built the silencer. Pretty sweet.

I think I have a fair amount of patience as a viewer, but my limit was tested with The American. Not a terrible film, just slow.

revo
02-17-2011, 08:24 PM
Agree that it was very slow, but I actually loved the whole building of the gun sequence. Especially the way he built the silencer. Pretty sweet.

I think I have a fair amount of patience as a viewer, but my limit was tested with The American. Not a terrible film, just slow.

Yeah, I didn't think it was terrible -- the story was actually quite good. But the director went way overboard with the film noir and the spaghetti western emphasis and lost the whole movie.

revo
02-27-2011, 12:46 AM
just saw Machete -- a naked Lindsay Lohan; a naked Jessica Alba; a scantily clad Michelle Rodriguez; Don Johnson; Cheech Marin; Steven Seagal; Robert DeNiro; gatling guns on low riders; decapitations; senseless violence; it's total 70s B-movie heaven.

Hornsby
03-06-2011, 11:29 PM
Saw a really good little indy film today, Whip It. Here's the netflix description...

Escaping her smothering mother's (Marcia Gay Harden) beauty pageant plans for her, small-town Texas teen Bliss (Ellen Page) joins an all-girl roller derby team in Austin and begins living a thrilling double life as Babe Ruthless -- a life that might catch up with her. Drew Barrymore makes her directorial debut and plays fellow teammate Smashley Simpson in this smart coming-of-age tale. Kristen Wiig, Juliette Lewis, Eve and Jimmy Fallon co-star.

Just a really good movie, nothing that will change your life, but a good cast and a tight script.

bryanbutler
03-07-2011, 04:07 AM
i'm sure this was covered in the old thread, but i just watched _Inception_ for the first time, and really liked it. the timing was a bit off between the levels, but still very good.

interesting thing about _Despicable Me_, i liked it, my wife and kids didn't like it at all. ah well, no accounting for taste!

another that was probably in the old thread is _There Will Be Blood_. just saw it a couple of weeks ago on dish. exceelent indeed...

Trautdiggity
03-07-2011, 08:54 AM
Saw a really good little indy film today, Whip It. Here's the netflix description...

Just a really good movie, nothing that will change your life, but a good cast and a tight script.
Entertaining, I enjoyed it also.

The King's Speech: awesome, nuff said

senorsheep
03-07-2011, 02:15 PM
Took an eHarmony date to see Black Swan. I thought it was fantastic. She hated it. She actually left her seat while Natalie Portman was getting her box eaten by that hot chick from That 70's Show.

I'm not seeing her again.

Fresno Bob
03-07-2011, 02:49 PM
Took an eHarmony date to see Black Swan. I thought it was fantastic. She hated it. She actually left her seat while Natalie Portman was getting her box eaten by that hot chick from That 70's Show.

That's awesome, you should suggest "interest in stylized portrayal of carpet-munching ballerinas" as a potential "match criteria" to eHarmony....

BuckyBuckner
03-07-2011, 02:52 PM

Next you should take her to see Blue Valentine. I hear there are some serious sex scenes in that one, but it's not girl on girl. Initially they received a NC-17 rating but fought it to get an R rating.

SeaDogStat
03-07-2011, 05:46 PM
I just saw The Adjustment Bureau with Matt Damon over the weekend.

Name dropper...

I hoped he paid for the popcorn and Milk Duds...

overkill94
03-08-2011, 04:21 AM
Nothing like an international flight to help catch you up on some movies you kinda wanted to see:

Due Date - Just too silly for my tastes; Zach Galafianakis is much better when he gets to be subtle

It's Kind of a Funny Story - Fairly entertaining although the love story was pretty shallow; Zach's performance was much better in this one

Animal Kingdom - An interesting take on the modern gangster flick; not quite enough action IMO, but the main characters were all quite interesting

Babies - Watching it right now on my computer via Netflix; it's a documentary about 4 babies growing up in different parts of the world (Namibia, Mongolia, Japan, and the US) with zero narration and lots of saggy African boobies; seemed interesting from the trailer but they could've shown the cultural differences in about 10 minutes worth of film rather than 75 minutes

overkill94
03-08-2011, 04:24 AM
Oh, and I agree with those who enjoyed Despicable Me. Despite getting mostly rave reviews from critics, I hadn't seen many of the newer animated flicks except for a couple of the Pixar ones (Finding Nemo and Wall-E off the top of my head). While you could still tell it was a kid's movie, there were some truly funny moments and a quality story behind it.

SeaDogStat
03-08-2011, 05:34 PM
Kick Ass - The main character, a high school kid named Dave who is into comics, wonders why (to his friends), why there aren't any superheroes around? So, despite just being an ordinary HS kid (few friends, no gir)l and without any special training or powers, he decides to become one...a superhero named Kick Ass.

A really quirky character driven movie...just the kind I love... Plus, a little sex, a whole lotta violence and the kid who played McLovin' gets a thumbs up from me...thoroughly enjoyed it...

ironfist
03-09-2011, 12:02 AM
Kick Ass - The main character, a high school kid named Dave who is into comics, wonders why (to his friends), why there aren't any superheroes around? So, despite just being an ordinary HS kid (few friends, no gir)l and without any special training or powers, he decides to become one...a superhero named Kick Ass.

A really quirky character driven movie...just the kind I love... Plus, a little sex, a whole lotta violence and the kid who played McLovin' gets a thumbs up from me...thoroughly enjoyed it...

I loved this movie. It's a lot more brutal than you'd think from the premise, so be advised if you think you want to watch with your kids.

Teenwolf
03-09-2011, 03:04 AM
Next you should take her to see Blue Valentine. I hear there are some serious sex scenes in that one, but it's not girl on girl. Initially they received a NC-17 rating but fought it to get an R rating.

I wouldn't recommend Blue Valentine to anybody currently in a relationship. Some really hard truths about falling out of love. Fantastic movie, but not good for couples hoping to stay together.

Gregg
03-13-2011, 03:37 PM
Just saw The Social Network. It was entertaining but I have no idea what all the fuss was about. It was pretty exceptionally far from being an Oscar-worthy movie, imo.

Wait, this is Excellent movies I have seen lately. So you are saying it is excellent but not excellent enough to be Oscar worthy.

Or are you saying that we should start a thread Excellent movies that aren't?

Hmmm....be right back.

BuckyBuckner
03-13-2011, 04:32 PM
I wouldn't recommend Blue Valentine to anybody currently in a relationship. Some really hard truths about falling out of love. Fantastic movie, but not good for couples hoping to stay together.

I was kidding.

johnnya24
03-13-2011, 04:38 PM
Wait, this is Excellent movies I have seen lately. So you are saying it is excellent but not excellent enough to be Oscar worthy.

Or are you saying that we should start a thread Excellent movies that aren't?

Hmmm....be right back.
It's "Exceelent" not "Excellent" ;)

off_the_wall
03-14-2011, 09:24 AM
Just saw The Social Network. It was entertaining but I have no idea what all the fuss was about. It was pretty exceptionally far from being an Oscar-worthy movie, imo.

Agreed. While decent, it was far from great by any measure.

overkill94
03-14-2011, 02:42 PM

Totally disagree on this one. The writing was sharp, the performances outstanding, and the pace perfect. Haven't seen The King's Speech yet, but The Social Network was the one I was rooting for on Oscar night.

After struggling through Babies (booooring) I cleansed my palette with Exit Through the Gift Shop which was quite exceelent. It's a chronicle of the "street art" scene - most rampant in Los Angeles and London - which is mostly people putting up their own art on random public walls (the most popular being the Andre the Giant "OBEY" image). Not only were the pieces of art fascinating, but the culture of the scene was quite interesting as well.

I must be on some sort of documentary kick, but I watched Best Worst Movie the other day. It's all about Troll 2, rated as the worst movie ever by imdb users. One of the stars of the movie put the documentary together where they talk to all the people involved with the movie including the insane Italian director and the hokey lead actor who also happens to be a dentist. It also taps into the cult movie phenomenon by showing how huge crowds turn out for showings at art house theaters around the country. Pretty entertaining and also kinda sad.

johnnya24
03-19-2011, 09:57 PM
Just watched Temple Grandin, which is about an autistic girl, cows and geometry. Pleasantly surprised, with excellent performances throughout, especially Clare Danes in the lead role. The opening credits said HBO, so probably a made for TV movie. I fell asleep on Thursday watching Battle: Los Angeles, and was glued to the screen the whole way through for this ... go figure.

Mithrandir
03-19-2011, 11:16 PM
Last night watched "Darby O'Gill and the Little People"...my family's St. Paddy's Day ritual.

Highly enjoyable movie for the family.

Gregg
03-20-2011, 09:53 AM
Last night watched "Darby O'Gill and the Little People"...my family's St. Paddy's Day ritual.

Yeah, unless you are 5 and that Carriage of Death comes flying on to the screen and almost gives you a Hammer moment.

Mithrandir
03-20-2011, 11:42 AM
Yeah, unless you are 5 and that Carriage of Death comes flying on to the screen and almost gives you a Hammer moment.

My 6 year old hides under the blanket for that scene and the banshee..

overkill94
03-20-2011, 07:43 PM

I used to absolutely love that movie, but probably haven't seen it since I was 11 or 12. Don't remember it being scary at all, just a lot of little leprechauns and gold coins.

Gregg
03-21-2011, 12:38 PM
I used to absolutely love that movie, but probably haven't seen it since I was 11 or 12. Don't remember it being scary at all, just a lot of little leprechauns and gold coins.

What is scary to a five or six year old may be different than eleven or twelve. All kidding aside you should check it out. Still kind of fun.

Mithrandir
03-21-2011, 01:26 PM
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7a_yhkH5jjw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

SeaDogStat
03-23-2011, 04:05 PM
The Station Agent...2003

A Netflix recommendation... and I did enjoy it. Minimal dialogue, but Peter Dinklage was excellent in the lead. He plays a train aficionado who's only friend dies, also a train aficionado, but was bequeathed a small piece of land in rural NJ with a train depot on it. He is intent on living a life of solitude, but is befriended by a group of colorful neighbors. One of those character driven movies where you just see a small, but intense, slice of life. A solid 7/10 for me...

overkill94
03-23-2011, 09:36 PM
The Station Agent...2003

A Netflix recommendation... and I did enjoy it. Minimal dialogue, but Peter Dinklage was excellent in the lead. He plays a train aficionado who's only friend dies, also a train aficionado, but was bequeathed a small piece of land in rural NJ with a train depot on it. He is intent on living a life of solitude, but is befriended by a group of colorful neighbors. One of those character driven movies where you just see a small, but intense, slice of life. A solid 7/10 for me...

That's about the exact same review I would give of that movie. I especially like the talkative yet dim-witted guy he befriends. Apparently that director had a new movie come out in limited release - Win Win - that the critics enjoyed quite a bit; probably see that one when it comes out on DVD.

My previous attempt at a reply got quashed by the internet gods, but the short version is that I saw Death at a Funeral (the original) recently and thought it was really funny. Go rent it if you enjoy British comedies where everything that could go wrong...does.

overkill94
03-23-2011, 09:49 PM
As far as the Darby O'Gill clip, not unsurprisingly all I remember was the huge chest of gold and jewels ($5 was a big deal to me back then). Could've sworn there was a younger dude who was integral to the plot though...

TranaGreg
03-25-2011, 05:27 PM
what cha talking about, Sucker Punch opens today!

TranaGreg
03-30-2011, 09:30 AM
Well since we've been feeling that we've been missing out on a phenomenon, we pvr'ed the three Twilight movies over the past few months & watched the first two the past two nights - worthy of mention ... obviously they're formulaic and cater to a certain demographic, but I can certainly see why everyone under 25 thinks they're so great - well done filmmaking, great use of effects, a classic storyline, esp. a classic love story for the girls, and vampires & werewolves for the boys - what more can you want??? ... I'm finding I'm enjoying them a lot more than I expected. Actually my one major complaint - surprisingly little gore ... I keep waiting for the gross-out scenes; and obviously the acting is, well overacting in the extreme, but you know going in what you're getting.

Third movie tonight - if only they could work in a zombie or two ...

heyelander
03-30-2011, 11:02 AM
Was it tranagreg that wanted to be called Simone or am I getting my Canadians confused again?

TranaGreg
03-30-2011, 01:41 PM
Was it tranagreg that wanted to be called Simone or am I getting my Canadians confused again?

there's a remake of Conan the Barbarian coming too.

heyelander
03-30-2011, 01:44 PM
there's a remake of Conan the Barbarian coming too.

yeah, i've seen the previews. I think some classics just shouldn't be messed with. Conan was a great mix of decent plot and tons of unintentional humor.

revo
03-30-2011, 02:04 PM
for the first time in months, I saw movies on Friday & Saturday nights that were both terrific. Both The Social Network and The Next Three Days were very enjoyable and well-made.

Gregg
03-31-2011, 09:24 AM
Well since we've been feeling that we've been missing out on a phenomenon, we pvr'ed the three Twilight movies over the past few months & watched the first two the past two nights - worthy of mention ... obviously they're formulaic and cater to a certain demographic, but I can certainly see why everyone under 25 thinks they're so great - well done filmmaking, great use of effects, a classic storyline, esp. a classic love story for the girls, and vampires & werewolves for the boys - what more can you want??? ... I'm finding I'm enjoying them a lot more than I expected. Actually my one major complaint - surprisingly little gore ... I keep waiting for the gross-out scenes; and obviously the acting is, well overacting in the extreme, but you know going in what you're getting.

Third movie tonight - if only they could work in a zombie or two ...

Would you watch either of these again?

DMT
03-31-2011, 12:32 PM
I couldn't get through the first Twilight, total drek IMO. Here's some movies I've seen recently.

Kick-Ass - This movie does indeed kick ass! The soundtrack is excellent as well. Highly recommended. 8/10

The Fighter - Fantastic performance from Christian Bale, his Oscar was well-deserved. It had some great moments but I wasn't blown away like some people. It was cool seeing the real-life brothers at the very end. 7/10

Social Network - Another solid movie that I wasn't blown away with. Great jobs by Jesse Eisenberg and especially Justin Timberlake. The fact that both this and The Fighter were nominated for best pic shows how silly it is to nominate 10 movies.

Mother and Child - Hard to believe a man (Rodrigo Garcia) wrote and directed this, as all of the major characters are women and the plotlines all revolve around adoption. Annette Bening plays a wacko who gave her child (Naomi Watts) up for adoption and another woman (Kerry Washington) looking to adopt. Another excellent performance by Bening, not sure how she has never won an oscar. Very sad overall, probably a 6 but +1 for nude scenes of Watts and Washington. 7/10

What Doesn't Kill You - Based on a true story, Ethan Hawke & Mark Ruffalo play two childhood pals who have grown up getting by as criminal gophers but have bigger plans. Decent but nothing special. 6/10

The Open Road - decent premise about a struggling minor league ballplayer (Justin Timberlake) who tries to get his baseball legend/failed father (Jeff Bridges) to come home to see his mother before surgery. But the script was lacking and the entire movie just didn't seem to go anywhere. Bridges is fine as the spoiled drunk stuck in the past who always has a story to tell but not much else worth seeing. 4/10

The Experiment - apparently a remake of a German film about the Stanford prisoner/guard experiments, starring Adrian Brody and Forrest Whitaker. I don't think this was released in the US so hopefully no one actually paid $ to see this. Honestly, this is one of the worst movies I've ever seen. 1/10

TranaGreg
03-31-2011, 06:00 PM
Would you watch either of these again?

doubtful tho it did kind of renew my interest in vampire movies - got me thinking of The Hunger with Catherine Deneuve ... that I'll watch a second time ...

johnnya24
04-01-2011, 11:19 AM
I saw the trailer for Source Code earlier in the week, and thought "meh ... looks like another run of the mill sci fi movie". The reviews on the other hand say it is outstanding ... and I've read two 5 star reviews from newspapers that normally pan formulaic Hollywood movies.

Might go see this tonight as a treat to myself.

revo
04-12-2011, 03:37 PM
Went to see Source Code a few nights earlier. Highly entertaining and, while not philosophically provocative, quite unique. It wasn't on the level of, say, Inception but it was quite good. For the sake of full disclosure, I am a total sucker for Gay Cowboys. Jake G. played a good lead and was extremely easy on the eyes.

Fixed.

Fresno Bob
04-12-2011, 04:03 PM
He is pretty dreamy, it's true.

I'd rather spank his sister....

nullnor
05-10-2011, 03:33 PM
source code

johnnya24
05-10-2011, 05:39 PM
Hanna. Pretty good movie. Complete nonsense, but very entertaining and fast paced. All the main characters and actors were very engaging, which helps you forget the stupid premise.

Source Code. Hollywood directors should be forced to watch this movie. Short, to the point, concise and satisfying. Simple idea, played out at a fast pace, without too much over-elaboration or condescension towards the audience.

Kill The Irishman. Pretty run of the mill gangster-against-the-odds drama, but worthy of a couple of hours of your time. Would be interesting to see how much of this has been romanticised, given that it is based on the truth.

The Lincoln Lawyer. I have always really liked Matthew McConaughey, and always felt it was a shame he didn't get (or choose) more roles that suit his particular style. This is right up his street. A pretty entertaining lawyers and crooks drama.

revo
05-10-2011, 06:32 PM
Middle Men - the dawn of the internet porn era, as discovered by a couple of stoner f_ckups. Luke Wilson is great, as is Giovanni Ribisi. Well worth a rental.

Buried - the entire film never leaves the box Ryan Reynolds is buried in, yet it works. You can take your eyes off it for a minute or two and you wouldn't have missed much, but it still is a very good flick.

127 Hours - a similar movie to Buried (one man show, claustrophobic-type setting), James Franco is the lucky dude who gets his arm trapped by a boulder in the middle of nowhere. Good flick, Franco was great as Aron Ralston.

Robin Hood - a little long at 2 hrs 45 minutes, it's more like Robin Hood:Origins than what we know of him. Still, if you can sit through such a long movie, it's a solid entertainer.

Due Date - pretty amusing, some scenes are very very funny. Not one of my favorite comedies, but not gawd awful overrated either.

Unstoppable - action packed from start to finish. I loved it.

The Next Three Days - Russell Crowe is excellent, as usual. Another flick well worth the time.

Teenwolf
05-13-2011, 02:19 AM
I've watched a ton of movies lately, but I'll stick to the exceelent (or close to it).

Get Carter - What a crazy flick this one is. It starts off as a pretty run-of-the-mill investigation into a murder, but the key here is that Michael Caine just doesn't give a f***. If you were involved in this murder, even in a very VERY indirect way... you're gonna die. Fascinating to see a protagonist with zero empathy.

Gambit - Another early Michael Caine flick, this one much more lighthearted. Highly recommend this one for an interesting heist/romance flick. Your significant other would probably like it.

Tamara Drewe - British romantic comedy, but much better than that makes it sound. Directed by Stephen Frears (High Fidelity), and makes the very small list of romantic comedies that I've found enjoyable. There's more meat here than most rom-coms. Centres around the girl with the big nose who moved off to the big city, and comes back having had a nose job, looking stunning. Your significant other might also like this.

The Parking Lot Movie - Really great documentary about one parking lot, the people who work there, and the scum of the earth that they have to deal with on a daily basis. It's just over one hour, and that hour flies by.

Tell No One - French mystery/thriller, which I watched the dubbed version and found the voice acting surprisingly well done and not distracting. Really dug this.

Convoy - 1978 trucker movie, based on the song. Stars Kris Kristofferson, who is actually pretty badass in this. Centres around some truckers who beat the crap out of dirty cops, then go on the run, but there's more to it than that.

River's Edge - I had been meaning to watch this for a couple of years, and I'm glad I finally did. This is a cult classic, starring young Keanu Reeves and Crispin Glover, about a kid who murders his girlfriend, and the ambivalence his friends have toward the whole thing. Also has Dennis Hopper as a drug dealing recluse in love with a blowup doll.

An American Werewolf In London - Good but not great horror/comedy, but definitely gets props for being way ahead of its time.

Altered States - I've been taking some hallucinogens lately, so I figured it would be appropriate to check this out. From 1980, it shows some pretty interesting scenes simulating his drug trips, but sort of meanders towards the end. I found the message at the end interesting, the conclusion being that drugs are just a distraction from the real world (though I'm really oversimplifying it here). So I guess I got something out of it, even if I still feel a distraction is necessary now and then.

Scream 4 - Pretty well done, and interesting that it works as a whodunnit. Some of the humor misses the mark, but that's a minor quibble. I still think that Wes Craven did the whole "meta" thing best with New Nightmare, in which the actress from the Nightmare On Elm Street films is stalked in real life by the Freddy character. Not sure why nobody ever talks about that one, or makes the connection between that and the Scream franchise.

heyelander
05-13-2011, 12:11 PM
Hanna. Pretty good movie. Complete nonsense, but very entertaining and fast paced. All the main characters and actors were very engaging, which helps you forget the stupid premise.

For the first half of the movie I was trying to think of all the people I would need to recommend it to. Then it just sort of got long and substituted chases for plot development. For someone who was bred to be the ultimate weapon, she spent a lot of time running from people.

Fresno Bob
05-13-2011, 01:13 PM
I've watched a ton of movies lately, but I'll stick to the exceelent (or close to it).

River's Edge - I had been meaning to watch this for a couple of years, and I'm glad I finally did. This is a cult classic, starring young Keanu Reeves and Crispin Glover, about a kid who murders his girlfriend, and the ambivalence his friends have toward the whole thing. Also has Dennis Hopper as a drug dealing recluse in love with a blowup doll.

The story this is based on went down in the SF Bay Area when I was in high school. As much as I love Mr Hopper, there was no Feck character in the real story. Dream roles for Keanu and Christian

johnnya24
05-13-2011, 05:37 PM
For the first half of the movie I was trying to think of all the people I would need to recommend it to. Then it just sort of got long and substituted chases for plot development. For someone who was bred to be the ultimate weapon, she spent a lot of time running from people.
Spoilerville:

Start spoiler:
I guess it didn't become clear until near the end what her role was. I knew nothing about the story before I went it to see it ... Cate Blanchet is usually all it takes ... so I wasn't sure she was some genetically engineered killing machine until about 1 hour in. To be honest, apart from the revenge element, I wasn't sure what the point was. That premise was the weakest thing to me ... especially considering that all he (Bana) needed to do to get at Cate's character was reappear ... all that effort so Hanna can kill Cate was just stupid.
End spoiler:

That said ... all the characters were played really well ... Cate, Bana, and especially the little girl were excellent.

Spoiler is a strange looking word if you stare at it.

Trader Mac
05-14-2011, 03:26 AM
I just saw Thor last night and it was pretty good.

johnnya24
05-20-2011, 09:12 PM
Since we don't have a "Movies that were much better than the trailer suggested" thread ... this will have to do:

Limitless

Trader Mac
05-21-2011, 05:14 AM
I just saw Just Go With It with Adam Sandler and Jennifer Anniston. I haven't laughed as hard during a movie since Dumb and Dumber.

swampdragon
05-31-2011, 02:14 PM
I have a student who is failing my class. Her 6th grade brother was wearing a Hangover t-shirt last week. Fine parenting job going on there.

I saw Midnight in Paris over the weekend. Pretty good movie, not to long but tasty.

Funny that Owen Wilson now played the part of Woody Allen.

johnnya24
06-01-2011, 07:07 AM
Saw a funny internet exchange today.

An article on Steve Martin's purchase of a fake Heinrich Campendonk painting for $850K was met with a string of (largely unfair but nonetheless humorous) comments about him deserving it for creating "The Pink Panther, Cheaper by the Dozen, Sgt. Bilko, Bringing Down the House, Father of the Bride" etc etc.

One brave soul stood out in defence of poor Steve, and declared that "He's made some excellent films and some poor ones but who can honestly say all their films are great?"

The succinct reply made me laugh:

"John Cazale's complete filmography:

Godfather I
The Conversation
Godfather II
Dog Day Afternoon
The Deer Hunter"

revo
06-01-2011, 10:07 AM

Godfather I
The Conversation
Godfather II
Dog Day Afternoon
The Deer Hunter"

There was an HBO special last year on Cazale. You should check it out if given the chance.

Teenwolf
06-01-2011, 10:59 AM
Tucker and Dale Vs. Evil - Horror/comedy, and I thought it worked pretty well. The trailers are BRUTAL for revealing spoilers, so I'll try and stay relatively spoiler-free. Two backwoods hicks meet and scare a group of teens at a truckstop. Later, the teens believe that the hicks have kidnapped one of the hot girls from their group, and launch an attack. Hilarity ensues.

The Resident - This isn't a recommendation, but a warning. Do not watch this. Ever. It's a waste of time, incredibly predictable, and the only real moment of tension is just kind of sick and unpleasant. Not an enjoyable film.

johnnya24
06-01-2011, 11:03 AM
The Resident - This isn't a recommendation, but a warning. Do not watch this. Ever. It's a waste of time, incredibly predictable, and the only real moment of tension is just kind of sick and unpleasant. Not an enjoyable film.
Following on the same theme ... avoid Unknown ... horrendous beyond all words. I hope Liam Neeson got a good pay day for this complete and utter crap.

johnnya24
06-01-2011, 11:03 AM
There was an HBO special last year on Cazale. You should check it out if given the chance.
I will definitely see if I can find it.

SeaDogStat
06-01-2011, 01:04 PM
I will definitely see if I can find it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Knew_It_Was_You

Wiki link, JA

johnnya24
06-02-2011, 07:34 PM
Going to watch some old classics over the weekend that I have no recollection of ever seeing ... Double Indemnity and All About Eve are lined up.

johnnya24
06-02-2011, 07:36 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Knew_It_Was_You

Wiki link, JA
Found this as well.

EDIT: Excellent and interesting little documentary. Had no idea that he and Meryl Steep were an item.

johnnya24
06-05-2011, 07:22 PM
The first trailer for the US remake of The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/girl_with_the_dragon_tattoo_2011/trailers/11145791

The Swedish remake is actually very good, and well worth seeing for those not averse to subtitles ... good enough not to warrant a Hollywood version IMO ... but with David Fincher at the helm, at least it's going to be a good remake.

Mithrandir
06-05-2011, 11:16 PM
Going to watch some old classics over the weekend that I have no recollection of ever seeing ... Double Indemnity and All About Eve are lined up.

Two of the greatest movies ever made...

Mithrandir
06-05-2011, 11:17 PM
Watched the 1933 version of King Kong last night. Wanted my 6 year old daughter to see it. She loved it!

A bit hokey, but man i really enjoy watching it.

overkill94
06-05-2011, 11:33 PM
Saw a funny internet exchange today.

An article on Steve Martin's purchase of a fake Heinrich Campendonk painting for $850K was met with a string of (largely unfair but nonetheless humorous) comments about him deserving it for creating "The Pink Panther, Cheaper by the Dozen, Sgt. Bilko, Bringing Down the House, Father of the Bride" etc etc.

One brave soul stood out in defence of poor Steve, and declared that "He's made some excellent films and some poor ones but who can honestly say all their films are great?"

The succinct reply made me laugh:

Godfather I
The Conversation
Godfather II
Dog Day Afternoon
The Deer Hunter"

Gotta be the only person in Hollywood history that got 5 stars on allmovie.com for every movie he was involved in.

Fresno Bob
06-06-2011, 12:22 AM
The first trailer for the US remake of The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/girl_with_the_dragon_tattoo_2011/trailers/11145791

The Swedish remake is actually very good, and well worth seeing for those not averse to subtitles ... good enough not to warrant a Hollywood version IMO ... but with David Fincher at the helm, at least it's going to be a good remake.

I beg to differ, I found the Norge version a pale version of the book, which I enjoyed very much. Even that trailer showed me things that were much more impactful from the book than I saw in the original...

johnnya24
06-06-2011, 07:00 AM
I beg to differ, I found the Norge version a pale version of the book, which I enjoyed very much. Even that trailer showed me things that were much more impactful from the book than I saw in the original...
I enjoyed both. I didn't ever have the impression of the book being fast paced when I read it ... probably because I completed it over a period of time. Impactful ... definitely, but I was actually happy with the slower pace of the Swedish version. It will be interesting to see what the Fincher version leaves out, because there were certain elements that had to be omitted from the Swedish remake that I felt were important to the plot ... and consider that it was nearly 2 hours long.

Casting looks good ... Bond playing Blomquist and I noticed Stellan Skarsgård is also in there (one of my favorite actors).

Erik
06-06-2011, 10:20 AM
Gotta be the only person in Hollywood history that got 5 stars on allmovie.com for every movie he was involved in.

He's also the only person where every movie he was involved in was nominated for Best Picture.

Teenwolf
06-06-2011, 10:52 AM

Paul Thomas Anderson comes pretty close.

Hard Eight - 4/5
Boogie Nights - 5/5
Magnolia - 4.5/5
Punch-Drunk Love - 4/5
There Will Be Blood - 4.5/5

I've yet to see Hard Eight, but the other 4 are all masterpieces, in my opinion.

TranaGreg
06-06-2011, 10:55 AM
Saw X-Men: First Class yesterday; if you're a fan of the series it's a good one. Great action, very good storyline, lots of references to future events.

The first trailer for the US remake of The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo ...
I saw the trailer in the theatre yesterday - looked great; plus I want to find out who does the cover of Zeppelin's Immigrant Song - it sounded awesome in the theatre.

Teenwolf
06-06-2011, 11:01 AM
Saw X-Men: First Class yesterday; if you're a fan of the series it's a good one. Great action, very good storyline, lots of references to future events.

I saw the trailer in the theatre yesterday - looked great; plus I want to find out who does the cover of Zeppelin's Immigrant Song - it sounded awesome in the theatre.

Trent Reznor with Karen O from Yeah Yeah Yeah's. The production on it sounds pretty sweet.

Erik
06-06-2011, 11:12 AM
Hard Eight is excellent, if not in the same league as the others.

swampdragon
06-12-2011, 10:45 AM
Black Swan is great stuff - A creepy ballet movie and all of the characters fascinating to watch. The characters details in the movements are tremendously accurate

King's Speech is still the best movie of the year
but
Inception
Social Network
Black Swanall tie for second

Teenwolf
06-13-2011, 01:55 AM
Hanna - Whoa! Really fun action flick. Tons of comparisons to The Professional, but I think I might possibly like this more. Girl grows up in the woods, training her entire life, preparing to take vengeance. I think it's still a couple of weeks from dvd shelves, but check it out.

Night Of The Comet - Really strange one from 1984, about two valley girls surviving an apocalyptic event. I love movies that have scenes of deserted cities (28 Days Later, Omega Man) so this scratches that itch.

Hulk - The 2003 version is something I just never got around to watching until now. I can definitely see why so many people hate it, but I really enjoyed it. Much better than Incredible Hulk. Ignore the bad CG, the weird constant split-screen stuff, trying to feel like a comic, the overwrought dialog, and you should dig it.

off_the_wall
06-16-2011, 10:04 PM
Saw Hangover II over the weekend. Not as good as the first but some decent laughs.

Gregg
06-16-2011, 10:59 PM
Hanna - Whoa! Really fun action flick. Tons of comparisons to The Professional, but I think I might possibly like this more. Girl grows up in the woods, training her entire life, preparing to take vengeance. I think it's still a couple of weeks from dvd shelves, but check it out.

Night Of The Comet - Really strange one from 1984, about two valley girls surviving an apocalyptic event. I love movies that have scenes of deserted cities (28 Days Later, Omega Man) so this scratches that itch.

Hulk - The 2003 version is something I just never got around to watching until now. I can definitely see why so many people hate it, but I really enjoyed it. Much better than Incredible Hulk. Ignore the bad CG, the weird constant split-screen stuff, trying to feel like a comic, the overwrought dialog, and you should dig it.

Loved Night of the Comet.

That 1953 Buick Roadmaster was owned by singer/song writer Randy Newman.

johnnya24
06-17-2011, 12:21 PM
Saw Hangover II over the weekend. Not as good as the first but some decent laughs.
I was really disappointed actually ... really liked the first one. Sure the first was ridiculous and farcical, but there was a bit of soul to it. Part 2 felt really manufactured ... they even re-hashed the supporting cast (gay Chinaman and Tyson) ... not to mention the plain stupid ending.

They should have made a completely new movie ... they had some great characters to work with, and yet all they could manage we a pretty rubbish remake of the first.

DMT
06-17-2011, 01:19 PM
I was really disappointed actually ... really liked the first one. Sure the first was ridiculous and farcical, but there was a bit of soul to it. Part 2 felt really manufactured ... they even re-hashed the supporting cast (gay Chinaman and Tyson) ... not to mention the plain stupid ending.

They should have made a completely new movie ... they had some great characters to work with, and yet all they could manage we a pretty rubbish remake of the first.

Yea, it was almost beat-for-beat identical to the original, which made it pretty meh. I knew that going in so my expectations were low and thus I wasn't disappointed. But for those who loved the original, save your $.

joncarlos
06-17-2011, 01:37 PM
Super 8 was really, really good. The kids in the cast were excellent, the setting was perfect (Weirton, WV if you're curious) and JJ did a great job of paying homage to Spielberg while keeping the movie his own. Best movie I've seen in a while. It draws a lot of comparisons to ET but for me it was more Goonies.

Fresno Bob
06-17-2011, 02:00 PM
I just saw Factotum, the Matt Dillon led story of Hank Chinaski, the alter-ego of Charles Bukowski.

I'm a huge Bukowski fan, so much so that I named my daughter after the editor that discovers him, and I didn't think I'd like a Bukowski movie better than Barfly, but I did with Factotum.

B-Fly
06-17-2011, 02:35 PM
Super 8 was really, really good. The kids in the cast were excellent, the setting was perfect (Weirton, WV if you're curious) and JJ did a great job of paying homage to Spielberg while keeping the movie his own. Best movie I've seen in a while. It draws a lot of comparisons to ET but for me it was more Goonies.

I'm targeting this one for July 4 weekend, when my parents are taking the kids for two days as an anniversary present to me and Beth. I'm psyched.

TranaGreg
06-19-2011, 09:01 AM
saw Midnight in Paris last night - one of Woody Allen better flicks recently, Owen Wilson definitely freshens it up ... great twist that the trailer didn't give away amazingly enough.

Fresno Bob
06-20-2011, 12:34 AM
just watched Blade Runner, directors cut on Netflix. One of my top 5 movies still....

off_the_wall
07-18-2011, 08:49 PM
Saw Horrible Bosses over the weekend. Decent flick, Charlie Day is the funniest of the bunch but the cast is solid, top-to-bottom, and I've got a new appreciation for Jennifer Aniston after seeing this movie.

revo
07-18-2011, 09:12 PM
I saw Kill the Irishman last week, and went in expecting, well, not much. It was great! Kind of like Goodfellas moves to Cleveland. True story about a day laborer-turned-Union Boss-turned-gangster in the 1960s and mid-1970s. The plot was good, the action good, and it was like a who's who of your favorite Sopranos and Goodfellas actors, with Chris Walken, Val Kilmer and Ray Stevenson sprinkled in.

Gregg
07-18-2011, 10:06 PM
I saw Kill the Irishman last week, and went in expecting, well, not much. It was great! Kind of like Goodfellas moves to Cleveland. True story about a day laborer-turned-Union Boss-turned-gangster in the 1960s and mid-1970s. The plot was good, the action good, and it was like a who's who of your favorite Sopranos and Goodfellas actors, with Chris Walken, Val Kilmer and Ray Stevenson sprinkled in.

I haven't even heard of this movie. I am in!

johnnya24
07-18-2011, 10:13 PM
It was a better movie that I expected, and they got the feel of the 70's really well.

Teenwolf
07-19-2011, 11:37 AM
Wake Wood - Occult horror. Basically a much less crappy version of Pet Sematary. Quite watchable, with some nice character actors. If you're into horror, give it a shot.

Horrible Bosses - I really enjoyed this. I thought all of the performances were great, Charlie Day's shtick never went too far as I feared it might, and the script was tighter than the usual treatment given to comedies.

Midnight In Paris - Meh. Too referential to really hold any weight. I know most that have seen this loved it, but I feel like it falls somewhere into the pile of pleasant but forgettable Allen films.

Teenwolf
08-21-2011, 02:11 AM
Watched some great flicks the last couple of days.

Super - It's yet another regular-guy-becoming-a-super-hero thing (Defendor, Kick-Ass, others I'm forgetting) but really treads into some black humour territory. It has some of the comic book/video game graphics of Scott Pilgrim, but with real world consequences. So when someone gets hit with a wrench or a board, teeth fly out, limbs are broken, etc. Adds a really strange element, as the viewer isn't ever rooting entirely for the superheroes. Overall, well worth the watch.

Animal Kingdom - I've heard nothing but good things about this Australian crime drama, and finally got around to watching it. Fantastic, especially given what seems like a low budget. Up there with another favourite Aussie flick from a couple years back, The Horseman, and similar in its depiction of brutality.

Tears Of The Black Tiger - Somewhat strange Korean spaghetti western from 2000. Not sure if it's well known or well regarded, but I loved it. Some over the top Tarantino-isms, but mostly just a beautifully shot love story. Check a clip.

<iframe width="560" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ylyNUGNtuA4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Also, I just want to say that Hobo With A Shotgun is one of the worst movies I've seen in a long time. There needs to be some nuance in making gore interesting, and this was completely devoid of subtlety. Unlike Midnight Meat Train, which also delves into some pretty gorey scenes, and I kind of enjoyed, though wouldn't outright recommend to anybody but the biggest of horror fans.

Gregg
08-21-2011, 09:28 AM
Mrs Gregg and I went out for dinner and a movie. Went to see Final Destination 5 in 3D.

I picked this movie because I felt it would give me the best 3D experiance for the money. I am not usually a fan of the 3D movie because I find it distracting and gimmicky. If I want gimmicky what better movie to go see than the most recent installment of the Final Destination franchise. I did not want to see some cutsy cartoon. I wanted to be jumping out of my seat by stuff flying at me. I didn't go in expecting an acadamy award winning film. I also knew what the plot would be. The only questions were will the writers be able to fool me with bait and switch in the death scenes and will the 3D work with this movie? The fooling not so much, the 3D pretty good. I did enjoy the effects and it got the job done. I would not want a steady diet of 3D by any means. But if the Destination franchise is a guilty pleasure, I think you will enjoy this one.

And what about Mrs. Gregg? She jumped out of her seat plenty of times. After the movie she smiled, elbowed my ribs said "nice romantic movie" and then "you owe me big time." Ah, I love my wife.

Gregg
09-01-2011, 10:12 PM
Runaway Jury (2003)

I forgot how much I enjoyed this movie. A bunch of stars and great acting. Gene Hackman and John Cusack were outstanding.

Some nice twists in the plot. Beautifully filmed.

A good way to spend an hour and twenty seven minutes.

Erik
09-01-2011, 11:06 PM
Saw Horrible Bosses over the weekend. Decent flick, Charlie Day is the funniest of the bunch but the cast is solid, top-to-bottom, and I've got a new appreciation for Jennifer Aniston after seeing this movie.

Saw it tonight, agree with what you said. Much funnier than I thought it would be.

Fresno Bob
09-02-2011, 01:16 PM
I finally watched "The Brothers Bloom", which I enjoyed quite a bit. It helps to have a Rachel Weitz crush (to me, she's the dream combination of Natalie Portman and Anne Hathaway).

I like con movies, and this was a sweet one.

Teenwolf
09-02-2011, 07:41 PM
I finally watched "The Brothers Bloom", which I enjoyed quite a bit. It helps to have a Rachel Weitz crush (to me, she's the dream combination of Natalie Portman and Anne Hathaway).

I like con movies, and this was a sweet one.

Nice, I really love The Brothers Bloom. The pacing is a bit weird, as it seems to have a couple of points where you think it's over, then it continues for another half hour. Really great flick though.

Teenwolf
09-02-2011, 07:41 PM
World's Greatest Dad - Robin Williams in a comedy from 2009 isn't something I'd normally take an interest in watching, to say the least. This is some seriously dark comedy from writer and director Bobcat Goldthwait. If you like Observe and Report, this is in the same vein. If you seek it out, absolutely DO NOT read any reviews or watch any trailers that may contain a significant spoiler.

Transcendent Man - A documentary on Ray Kurtzveil and his theory of "the singularity", wherein science overtakes and elevates humanity to unthinkable heights. It's essentially the story of The Terminator, and how this is happening in real life, right now, quicker than you could have imagined. 2032 is the projected "singularity". Really crazy flick.

Super 8 - Not sure where all of the criticism for this is coming from. I thought it was excellent, even if the second half tends to drag ever so slightly. That's more a reflection of how good the first half is than a knock on the film itself. The kids are great and the 80's feel is incredibly authentic.

Conan The Barbarian - Crossed it off my list of shame. Glad I did.

johnnya24
09-03-2011, 09:11 AM
Super 8 was a pretty bad movie, although the kids are cutesy enough to carry it away from the abyss of total suckitude. The plot holes and barely developed side plots are annoying and pretty much ever present. It's entertaining simply because of the kids and the nostalgic feel. I find it extremely odd that anyone who would blast Avatar due to its thin plot and poor plot development would find anything positive in this flick. Probably good for young adults or anyone who just wants to shut their brain completely off for a while. Save yourself the cash and just rent it if you have a few hours to kill.
I liked it. I watched it as if watching The Goonies or one of those classic 80's kid-friendly movies.

Also ... have never heard of The Brothers Bloom ... well I think I've never heard of it ... so I'll have to check that out this weekend. Love con-movies + Rachel Weisz = how the heck did I not know about this?

Jefe
09-03-2011, 09:11 AM
I don't do Blueray, but if you do I saw that you can now get Miller's Crossing in that format. Great movie.

revo
09-03-2011, 09:55 AM
Hall Pass -- I normally find comedies like this to be amusing, if somewhat disappointing. But Hall Pass had some "laughing so hard I'm crying" scenes that even this morning I can't stop cracking up at. There are a couple of scenes in this movie that are definitely all-time classic quality. The movie as a whole is pretty good, but those scenes elevate it over any recent comedy I've seen. Plus, the female blonde center of attention is an amazing hottie who gets very nekkid.

The Lincoln Lawyer -- not bad. It's basically a two hour Law & Order episode.

Arthur -- I had to see the remake since the original is an all-time classic. But it's as if they said "let's remake it, stay true to the original, but take out all the funny scenes." And the female lead is a terrible actress.

Limitless -- I loved this movie. A quality thriller with a great storyline.

The Conspirator -- Robert Redford's adaptation of the Lincoln assassination conspiracy. Solid courtroom drama that stays close to history -- but although it was produced by an American History movie company that preached accuracy, it amazingly did not stay 100% true to history. I didn't understand that.

Source Code -- a bit like an action-oriented Groundhog Day, it still works. One of the better movies I've seen recently.

The Eagle -- a Roman-era war movie with good action, if a bit of a hokey plot. Still a solid watch if you like ancient war flicks.

Mithrandir
09-03-2011, 10:06 AM
Against All Flags - Errol Flynn swashbuckler..great for the family.

johnnya24
09-03-2011, 11:26 AM
Since we're on a run ... some movies I've watched and re-watched lately:

The Aviator - seen this once before when it was first released, and not sure why it took me so long to re-watch. Very good movie, classic Scorsese touches throughout. Loved to old school epic quality to the (over)acting and scene setting. Larger than life movie for a bunch of larger than life characters.

Network - Another classic movie I haven't seen for ages ... more and more relevant as every year goes by.

Bad Teacher - Not bad considering I expected it to be horrible. A few laughs, very farcical, a few odd and occasionally funny characters.

Horrible Bosses - one of the best comedies I've seen this year. Echo all the views above.

Your Highness - couldn't make it past the hour mark ... just not funny. Kevin McBride has been such a disappointment since the first series of Eastbound and Down.

500 Days of Summer - just as good as I remembered it to be ... and a great soundtrack (one for the classic rock guys :) )

Juno - then I had a mind to watch Juno again (see above)

High Fidelity - watched this during the Desert Island song draft ... awesome. I miss the days when John Cusack made good movies. Last seen him in that terrible Hot Tub movie.

The Inbetweeners - not really relevant for you guys ... very funny cult UK TV series made into an occasionally amusing and very stupid movie (sound familiar?). I'd recommend the (short) TV series, not the movie.

Will go and see Fright Night this week. Heard good things about Bridesmaids ... but missed it during its cinema run.

Bodhizefa
09-03-2011, 11:50 AM
High Fidelity - watched this during the Desert Island song draft ... awesome. I miss the days when John Cusack made good movies. Last seen him in that terrible Hot Tub movie.

You didn't like Hot Tub Time Machine? It was a great riff off of 80's movies -- both making fun of them and reveling in them at the same time. I dug it.

johnnya24
09-03-2011, 12:46 PM
You didn't like Hot Tub Time Machine? It was a great riff off of 80's movies -- both making fun of them and reveling in them at the same time. I dug it.
Exact opposite of Bad Teacher (see above) ... I expected Hot Tub to be great, but it let me down a bit. I was kinda bored watching it and don't remember laughing out loud once. I'll watch it again sometime in the future with lower expectations and hopefully enjoy it more.

Trautdiggity
09-04-2011, 08:04 AM
Hall Pass -- I normally find comedies like this to be amusing, if somewhat disappointing. But Hall Pass had some "laughing so hard I'm crying" scenes that even this morning I can't stop cracking up at. There are a couple of scenes in this movie that are definitely all-time classic quality. The movie as a whole is pretty good, but those scenes elevate it over any recent comedy I've seen. Plus, the female blonde center of attention is an amazing hottie who gets very nekkid.

The Lincoln Lawyer -- not bad. It's basically a two hour Law & Order episode.

Arthur -- I had to see the remake since the original is an all-time classic. But it's as if they said "let's remake it, stay true to the original, but take out all the funny scenes." And the female lead is a terrible actress.

Limitless -- I loved this movie. A quality thriller with a great storyline.

The Conspirator -- Robert Redford's adaptation of the Lincoln assassination conspiracy. Solid courtroom drama that stays close to history -- but although it was produced by an American History movie company that preached accuracy, it amazingly did not stay 100% true to history. I didn't understand that.

Source Code -- a bit like an action-oriented Groundhog Day, it still works. One of the better movies I've seen recently.

The Eagle -- a Roman-era war movie with good action, if a bit of a hokey plot. Still a solid watch if you like ancient war flicks.

Did you just get off a long Delta flight? I swear either I or my wife watched almost all of these on our way to/from Greece.

Hall Pass - Agreed and very pleasantly surprised.
Lincoln Lawyer - Agreed
Limitless - Agreed
Source Code - Agreed
Arthur - She watched it, I wouldn't subject myself to it.

Also saw Crazy, Stupid, Love. Kinda chick flickish but pretty entertaining. Ryan Gosling was awesome and upstaged everyone, Steve Carrell included, on the comedy piece.

BuckyBuckner
09-04-2011, 11:56 AM

That's exactly why I will never see the new one. I also don't find the lead guy funny, I am blanking on his name.

johnnya24
09-04-2011, 12:28 PM
That's exactly why I will never see the new one. I also don't find the lead guy funny, I am blanking on his name.
Get Him To The Greek is funny ... Arthur looks like a horror show.

BuckyBuckner
09-04-2011, 01:46 PM
Get Him To The Greek is funny ... Arthur looks like a horror show.

That didn't look funny to me but I don't like the fatso in that movie either.

johnnya24
09-04-2011, 02:51 PM
That didn't look funny to me but I don't like the fatso in that movie either.
LOL ... very PC. Cyrus was good.

BuckyBuckner
09-04-2011, 02:58 PM
LOL ... very PC. Cyrus was good.

Cyrus wasn't bad. Yeah, but you knew who I was talking about and I couldn't think of his name or other movies he was in. He just annoys me, he can't act and he's not funny.

revo
09-04-2011, 08:26 PM

Russell Brand actually made for a decent Arthur. Besides the female lead (well, I guess Liza Minnelli wasn't a great actress either), the casting was pretty decent. Luis Guzman was pretty good as Bitterman, Helen Mirren was good as Hobson. But it's as if they said "the classic funny scenes were all Dudley Moore, so let's leave his legacy intact and try and make our own funny scenes," -- of which, they pretty much failed.

I guess that's the thing with successful comedies -- it's all in the lines. If you're gonna change all the lines, what's the point?

Gregg
09-05-2011, 10:22 AM
Russell Brand actually made for a decent Arthur. Besides the female lead (well, I guess Liza Minnelli wasn't a great actress either), the casting was pretty decent. Luis Guzman was pretty good as Bitterman, Helen Mirren was good as Hobson. But it's as if they said "the classic funny scenes were all Dudley Moore, so let's leave his legacy intact and try and make our own funny scenes," -- of which, they pretty much failed.

I guess that's the thing with successful comedies -- it's all in the lines. If you're gonna change all the lines, what's the point?

I never really thought about this before, but do any remakes actually use the classic lines?

swampdragon
09-05-2011, 01:18 PM
I never really thought about this before, but do any remakes actually use the classic lines?

I guess the Leonardo Di Caprio version of Romeo and Juliet doesn't count to you but it is interesting.

There must be a few movies that are reshot with the same dialog but different actors. This is going to take some thinking and research.

johnnya24
09-05-2011, 02:07 PM
Watched The Brothers Bloom ... excellent first half, and then meandered in the second. Seemed to just get lazy, and then run out of ideas and inspiration. If the Coen Brothers had got hold of this script and made this movie, it could have been a classic.

Teenwolf
09-05-2011, 05:54 PM
Watched two very different films, both very awesome in their own way.

Attack The Block - Independence Day meets Boyz in Tha Hood? Alien invasion flick in the UK ghetto, and I loved it. Thugs join with the working middle class and drug dealers, all trying to rid their particular slum of the aliens. Playing in very select cities in the US right now, but a great looking copy just hit the internet if that's something you do.

The American Astronaut - "Imagine a Laurel & Hardy skit directed by Salvador Dali" is the quote from Entertainment Weekly in the trailer. Shot in black and white, from 2001, it's essentially an arthouse musical/comedy set in space. I had it on my hard drive for a while, but I'm glad I got around to watching it. Seriously awesome piece of film.

Teenwolf
09-05-2011, 05:59 PM
I guess the Leonardo Di Caprio version of Romeo and Juliet doesn't count to you but it is interesting.

There must be a few movies that are reshot with the same dialog but different actors. This is going to take some thinking and research.

Gus Van Sant's 1998 remake of Psycho was shot-for-shot, so I would only assume the dialog is kept 100% intact as well. Though it's generally considered to be a total failure, so it's not a great example.

johnnya24
09-13-2011, 06:25 PM
Jane Eyre - fine adaptation, very well acted, great story. But it seems that every 10 years or so there is either a TV or movie remake. There isn't that much difference between this version and the 1996 version with Charlotte Gainsbourgh and William Hurt. I do wonder about the point of remaking a movie that has a very good recent adaptation.

Bridesmaids - actually found it very funny, with lots of sympathetic characters. Same family of humour as The Hangover etc ... and it works well. I'm going to go out on a limb here (not), and predict that there will be a Bridesmaids 2 within 12 months, and that it will be terrible ... although it can't be as bad as The Hangover 2.

revo
09-13-2011, 09:14 PM
saw a very good movie called The Bang Bang Club this weekend. True story of four combat photographers in early 1990s South Africa. Good acting, lots of action, and the story is excellent.

BuckyBuckner
09-14-2011, 12:20 AM
Saw Everything Must Go with Will Ferrell the other night. Not really his typical movie, which I think is a good thing, and was really good. A rather depressing but positive movie about a guy you loses his job and wife on the same day.

revo
09-14-2011, 08:18 AM
Saw Everything Must Go with Will Ferrell the other night. Not really his typical movie, which I think is a good thing, and was really good. A rather depressing but positive movie about a guy you loses his job and wife on the same day.

Did he then join the army with a buddy, met a bunch of hilarious bunkmates and hijinks ensued?

BuckyBuckner
09-14-2011, 10:43 AM
Did he then join the army with a buddy, met a bunch of hilarious bunkmates and hijinks ensued?

No, more about acceptance and making the best of things.

schlesinj
09-14-2011, 11:34 AM

I happened to turn on Stranger than Fiction (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0420223/) (about 20 minutes into the story) a few nights ago and I thought that was a pretty good movie. It was about an IRS agent (played by Farrel) that happens to have his life being written by a tragic novelist (as he hears a voice narrating his life).

BuckyBuckner
09-14-2011, 12:07 PM
I happened to turn on Stranger than Fiction (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0420223/) (about 20 minutes into the story) a few nights ago and I thought that was a pretty good movie. It was about an IRS agent (played by Farrel) that happens to have his life being written by a tragic novelist (as he hears a voice narrating his life).

Yeah, that was very good too. I think he's great in movies that aren't comedies but where he is funny. He's done great comedies but there was a point where he was doing too much and they stopped being funny.

TranaGreg
09-14-2011, 12:14 PM
saw a very good movie called The Bang Bang Club this weekend. True story of four combat photographers in early 1990s South Africa. Good acting, lots of action, and the story is excellent.

I saw this on a plane flying back from Vancouver this summer. Very well done movie, had me drawn in completely.

Yeah, that was very good too. I think he's great in movies that aren't comedies but where he is funny. He's done great comedies but there was a point where he was doing too much and they stopped being funny.

I agree completely - I really enjoyed Stranger Than Fiction.

Gregg
09-14-2011, 12:24 PM

I ended up watching this with my 19 year old daughter. She loved it, I thought it was pretty good. I was pleasantly surprised.

I have to admit I liked The Other Guys with Ferrell and Wahlberg more than I thought I would. I like to laugh and got a few from this hokey comedy.

Being the Christmas Junkie that I am, Elf is hands down my favorite Will Ferrell movie.

Hmmm. I think I just named all of the Ferrell movies that hold any value to me.

BuckyBuckner
09-14-2011, 12:31 PM
I ended up watching this with my 19 year old daughter. She loved it, I thought it was pretty good. I was pleasantly surprised.

I have to admit I liked The Other Guys with Ferrell and Wahlberg more than I thought I would. I like to laugh and got a few from this hokey comedy.

Being the Christmas Junkie that I am, Elf is hands down my favorite Will Ferrell movie.

Hmmm. I think I just named all of the Ferrell movies that hold any value to me.

Old School?

Gregg
09-14-2011, 12:35 PM
Old School?

Maybe the best of the bad. I wouldn't watch it again.

senorsheep
09-14-2011, 12:44 PM
Not sure that it qualified as "exceelent," but Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes was actually pretty good. Not great, but miles above that horrific Planet Of The Apes remake travesty with Marky Mark.

Erik
09-14-2011, 01:38 PM

I liked both of those as well. The Other Guys has Office Space/Big Lebowski-level dialogue.

Erik
09-14-2011, 01:41 PM
Old School had an incredibly funny first half and an incredibly lame second half, the plot of which was lifted directly from Revenge of the Nerds. If I ever watched it again I would stop halfway through.

I liked Talladega Nights but I know a lot of people didn't. I have no interest in the rest of Ferrell's sports movies.

DMT
09-14-2011, 01:45 PM
Maybe the best of the bad. I wouldn't watch it again.

Anchor Man? I'm not a huge fan of most of his work but that movie is a classic IMO.

johnnya24
09-14-2011, 01:52 PM
Looking forward to Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy. I saw the original a lifetime ago, so I have no recollection. Other than the fact it has a great cast and great review ratings, I have been avoiding any specific details.

Gregg
09-14-2011, 01:57 PM
Anchor Man? I'm not a huge fan of most of his work but that movie is a classic IMO.

I forgot about that one. I would add it to my short list.

johnnya24
09-14-2011, 02:05 PM
Favourite Will Ferrell characters:

Ashley Schaeffer BMW from Eastbound and Down
Chazz Reinhold from Wedding Crashers

Anchorman and Old School were good ... I only seen Talladega Nights once ... thought it was nothing special.

Mithrandir
09-14-2011, 02:09 PM
Looking forward to Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy. I saw the original a lifetime ago, so I have no recollection. Other than the fact it has a great cast and great review ratings, I have been avoiding any specific details.

The novel is great :) Read it oh so many moons ago..

TranaGreg
09-14-2011, 03:18 PM
there was also Mustafa from Austin Powers ...

http://images.wikia.com/austinpowers/images/f/ff/Mustafa.jpg

johnnya24
09-14-2011, 05:46 PM
http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lqlcsm2Iva1qfzlwfo1_500.gif

DMT
09-25-2011, 03:52 AM
Just watched Un Prophete (A Prophet), highly recommended, especially if you like gangster movies and don't mind sub-titles. Some brutal scenes and phenomenal acting throughout. It won the Grand Prix at Cannes in 2009.

johnnya24
09-25-2011, 04:37 PM
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy ... I saw somewhere that it has a US release date of early December ... seems like rather a long time, what with piracy and all. Anyway ... can't miss cast and brilliantly shot with a real authentic 70's feel (no stylized ameliorated 00's version of the 70's). It's not a fast action spy story for sure, and at 2 hours, requires the viewer to be alert to pick up the nuances. I drifted at one point check a score on my phone, and missed the gist of an important plot line ... took me a while to piece together the missing links. This more about old fashioned suspense and story telling than twists and turns.

SeaDogStat
09-26-2011, 03:03 PM
October Sky - Jake Gyllenhaal, Chris Cooper, Laura Dern. Just finished watching it.....one of my favorite all time movies. The true story of Homer Hickham (NASA engineer) and his 3 friends (the Rocket Boys) of a coal mining town who are inspired by the events of the day (Sputnik launching) and the enthusiams of their HS teacher, played by Laura Dern, and breaking the coalmining life cycle with rockets.

Love this movie...

Teenwolf
09-27-2011, 12:47 PM
Drive - The best new movie to come out since Black Swan. A masterpiece. See this in the theatre.

BuckyBuckner
09-27-2011, 12:51 PM
Drive - The best new movie to come out since Black Swan. A masterpiece. See this in the theatre.

Saw it this weekend and meant to post this. It was great.

heyelander
09-27-2011, 01:08 PM
I have no idea what I thought of Drive.

Gregg
09-28-2011, 12:04 AM
I just got back from a meeting and my family has Independence Day on the tv. It is one of those movies that trap you when you are surfing. Just a fun ride. The bad guys are about to get spanked.

revo
09-28-2011, 12:19 AM
I just got back from a meeting and my family has Independence Day on the tv. It is one of those movies that trap you when you are surfing. Just a fun ride. The bad guys are about to get spanked.

I saw that flick on July 4, 1996 at the Westhampton Theater in Westhampton, NY. There was a line out the door, and afterwards, we all got gelato at a great hidden local store. What a great night, hard to believe 15 years ago. Even harder to believe my 2nd son would be born on July 4th, 14 years later!!

Gregg
09-28-2011, 08:33 AM
I saw that flick on July 4, 1996 at the Westhampton Theater in Westhampton, NY. There was a line out the door, and afterwards, we all got gelato at a great hidden local store. What a great night, hard to believe 15 years ago. Even harder to believe my 2nd son would be born on July 4th, 14 years later!!

Good times and great memories!

revo
10-02-2011, 09:42 PM
So I saw Sanctum last night, and while my first impression was "this was a pretty good flick. Why was it such a colossal bomb?", it intrigued me that they said at the very beginning of the movie "Based on a true story." So afterwards, naturally, I googled Sanctum to find out more about this epic "true story."

Without giving away the inner plot workings of Sanctum, I won't be giving away much to say it's about a team of divers that get trapped in a huge underwater cave system. That said, this movie and the "true story" kind of end there. It's like saying Inglorious Basterds was based on a true story because it had the Nazis and Hitler in it.

At what point can a movie claim it's "based on a true story" when 95% of the plot is made up?

I definitely felt a little cheated after finding out the real deal.

DMT
11-15-2011, 02:22 PM
Just caught Casino Jack with Kevin Spacey playing Jack Abramoff. Highly recommended, it manages to present both sides. Although if you have any faith remaining in government, might want to pass.

Erik
11-15-2011, 02:38 PM
Watched Last Night (1998) on Netflix Instant the other day. It was outstanding. The world has an end date, but the movie is not about how it happened or how it might be stopped, but rather about the choices people make when they know they only have a few months left.

BuckyBuckner
11-15-2011, 02:43 PM
So I saw Sanctum last night, and while my first impression was "this was a pretty good flick. Why was it such a colossal bomb?", it intrigued me that they said at the very beginning of the movie "Based on a true story." So afterwards, naturally, I googled Sanctum to find out more about this epic "true story."

Without giving away the inner plot workings of Sanctum, I won't be giving away much to say it's about a team of divers that get trapped in a huge underwater cave system. That said, this movie and the "true story" kind of end there. It's like saying Inglorious Basterds was based on a true story because it had the Nazis and Hitler in it.

At what point can a movie claim it's "based on a true story" when 95% of the plot is made up?

I definitely felt a little cheated after finding out the real deal.

I saw this after reading your comment. It doesn't claim to be based on a true story but is inspired by a true story. Subtle but significant difference.

revo
11-15-2011, 04:47 PM
I saw this after reading your comment. It doesn't claim to be based on a true story but is inspired by a true story. Subtle but significant difference.

Here's the Netflix description:
Based on a true story and using technology developed by executive producer James Cameron, this breathtaking thriller follows the adventures of expert diver Frank McGuire (Richard Roxburgh), who heads an expedition to map a network of underwater caverns. When a tropical storm cuts off their exit, the team, including Frank's teenage son, must use all their resources and strength to avoid panic and find a route to the surface. Ioan Gruffudd co-stars.

You're probably right that it actually said "Inspired by..." rather than "Based on..." but I doubt many moviegoers would differentiate between the two. But if "Inspired by..." gives the editorial leeway to completely change the actual events, why bother even mentioning it if it's total fiction?

BuckyBuckner
11-15-2011, 04:57 PM
Here's the Netflix description:
Based on a true story and using technology developed by executive producer James Cameron, this breathtaking thriller follows the adventures of expert diver Frank McGuire (Richard Roxburgh), who heads an expedition to map a network of underwater caverns. When a tropical storm cuts off their exit, the team, including Frank's teenage son, must use all their resources and strength to avoid panic and find a route to the surface. Ioan Gruffudd co-stars.

You're probably right that it actually said "Inspired by..." rather than "Based on..." but I doubt many moviegoers would differentiate between the two. But if "Inspired by..." gives the editorial leeway to completely change the actual events, why bother even mentioning it if it's total fiction?

I guess it's worth mentioning because it was the personal experience of the screenwriter, which I found interesting. Netflix is obviously wrong in saying "based on a true story..." It's not our fault (or the movie-makers) that many moviegoers are dumb and can't differentiate between the two.

Obviously I can't argue that it's extremely loosely inspired on a true story but that's what it was. He had a experience and it prompted him to write the movie.

I guess it's disingenuous because I can only assume the reason to say it was inspired by a true story was to get more people to watch it.

johnnya24
11-15-2011, 05:06 PM
Saw In Time recently ... very interesting concept and pretty good execution. Not a great movie, and plenty of holes ... but there was enough going on to forgive the odd inadequacy ... plus ... eye candy aplenty.

johnnya24
11-28-2011, 12:16 PM
The Help - really enjoyed this. It had a bit of an odd feel about it ... like it was made in a different era. It felt like an 1980's movie ...

Transformers 3 - candidate for the worst movie ever made award. I think Michael Bay is trying to corner this market.

Cowboys and Aliens - mindless yet watchable entertainment. Expected to hate it ... so didn't exactly have high expectations ... but it managed to kill an hour or two without offending me.

The Change-Up - not really laugh out loud funny, but I still enjoyed it. I generally like anything with Jason Bateman in it ... although Horrible Bosses is a much better movie.

Cued up: Midnight In Paris, Crazy Stupid Love, Melancholia ... or I should say ... have been cued up for a while ... just waiting for the right mood to hit me.

schlesinj
11-28-2011, 03:56 PM
Also saw Crazy, Stupid, Love. Kinda chick flickish but pretty entertaining. Ryan Gosling was awesome and upstaged everyone, Steve Carrell included, on the comedy piece.

I just watched it this weekend. I enjoyed it. Worth a watch if you want to watch something decent with your wife or GF.

johnnya24
11-28-2011, 04:09 PM
You guys seen Drive starring Ryan Gosling? That is one messed up, violent movie. I bet FriarFan loved it.
Yeah really liked it ...

heyelander
11-28-2011, 04:12 PM
You guys seen Drive starring Ryan Gosling? That is one messed up, violent movie. I bet FriarFan loved it.

Saw it a while ago. I really wasn't sure what I thought of it afterwards. I wanted to like it, but I didn't, but I did.

johnnya24
11-28-2011, 04:13 PM
Saw it a while ago. I really wasn't sure what I thought of it afterwards. I wanted to like it, but I didn't, but I did.
Are you sure?

DMT
11-28-2011, 04:14 PM

I heard great reviews from a couple different people but I just haven't found the time to see it in the theater.

revo
11-28-2011, 04:57 PM
Some recent views:

Super 8 -- I had a feeling it was something like this, and it was enjoyable, but afterwards, thought the fact of what era it took place in was forced by the script (in other words, what happened in the movie couldn't happen today).

Bridesmaids -- heard mixed reviews, but I thought it was pretty good. And the wedding dress fitting scene is an instant classic.

Horrible Bosses -- it was amusing, but not anything that is memorable. Still, a good watch.

Green Lantern -- kind of a mess. Hal Jordan is kind of a douchebag. My 4-year old loved it, though!

I Am Number Four -- I liked this movie -- hmmm, lots of movies about aliens invading the world recently, anyone see that?

Captain America -- I liked the whole origin part (many superhero stories get bogged down with the origin), and thought Chris Evans, Hugo Weaving & Tommy Lee Jones did a good job. The 1940's era with 1980s technology was interesting, and that's become an trait of superhero movies in the past (like X-Men:First Class). Overall, very solid.

JudeBaldo
11-28-2011, 07:39 PM
Do not watch the new Conan. That is all.

Teenwolf
11-29-2011, 10:55 PM
Watched a bunch of 80's horror cult classics recently:

Shocker - Wes Craven's film from '89 is so over-the-top, and hits in every way for me. Loved it.

From Beyond - How is it that the Stuart Gordon/Jeffrey Combs duo who produced Re-Animator managed to make an equally incredible film that I'd never heard of? I actually prefer this to the original Re-Animator, if only slightly.

Hellraiser 1 & 2 - Ridiculous plots, but some pretty fun camp, and weird sci-fi crap thrown at the viewer. It might take me a while to get around to parts 3-8, but I might some day.

Parents - Another from '89, this one starring Randy Quaid, who is just as creepy in this as he is in real life. Story of a child that's suspicious of what type of meat his parents are cooking. Super fun. Preceeded some of the graphic meat imagery on Dexter by about 15 years.

Tried to finish off John Carpenter's filmography...

Dark Star - This just isn't a great movie. If Carpenter hadn't directed it, it would surely be lost to history. It feels like the goofy cousin to 2001. I will say though, the ending scene made me feel as though I hadn't completely wasted an evening. Highlight this if you don't care about spoilers: spaceship blows up, spaceman escapes, rides ship debris like a surfboard towards the nearest planet as country music blares. Cue credits.

Memoirs Of An Invisible Man - Chevy Chase is in Fletch-mode here, though the material isn't as funny. Interesting concept, decent but not fantastic film.

Prince of Darkness - Felt pretty low-budget to me. Again, a decent movie, but pretty far down on Carpenter's list, though that speaks more to Carpenter's amazing resume than it does any lack in this particular movie. No stars, aside from Alice Cooper playing a possessed homeless guy. Projectile vomit keeps things lively.

The Ward - Cripes, I hated this movie up until the last 2 minutes of it. I questioned the logic the entire way through, and kept hating on it for defying anything that would ever happen in the real world. The ending wraps it all up nicely, but it was hard to wash the sour taste of the first 95% out of my eyeballs, and not good enough to want to watch a 2nd time. Avoid.

Random:

World's Greatest Dad - Very very dark comedy from 2007, starring Robin Williams, in a movie that you can't possibly write about without spoiling. Written and directed by Bobcat Goldthwait. If you loved Observe and Report, seek this out.

revo
12-03-2011, 01:43 AM
Crazy. Stupid.Love. -- they could've saved everyone a lot of time by just calling it Stupid.

overkill94
12-03-2011, 04:32 AM
My thoughts on movies mentioned as well as other I've seen recently:

World's Greatest Dad - hated Observe and Report but thought this movie was pretty good; interesting to see Robin Williams in such a raunchy role, but there were some worthwhile subjects explored

Crazy. Stupid. Love - saw it with my parents in the theaters; lost a bit of steam toward the end, but overall a pretty enjoyable movie that explores a lot of different areas of modern courtship

Horrible Bosses - previews looked dumb, but the pedigree was intriguin and the word-of-mouth solid; definitely a worthwhile watch although not essential viewing

Shocker - never saw it, but the preview scared the hell out of me when I was eight

Beginners - story about a guy whose dad comes out of the closet after his wife dies and the remaining years until his own death; Christopher Plummer gives an Oscar-worthy performance as the gay dad and Ewan McGregor does a great job as the son who's confused in his own way. Overall a recommended movie although some may be put off since it's more of an indie type flick (aka not a lot of action)

Larry Crowne - there was really nothing else to see on DVD when I was home for Thanksgiving so I let my parents talk me into this one. As you would expect, it's a pretty harmless rom-com but the laughs are few and far between and some of the scenes are cringe-worthy.

Exporting Raymond - documentary about the show creator's attempt at adapting the show to a Russian audience. The culture clashes make for some good comedy but the premise is a bit stretched for a feature film so overall it gets a tepid recommendation.

Teenwolf
12-03-2011, 11:57 PM
Horrible Bosses - previews looked dumb, but the pedigree was intriguin and the word-of-mouth solid; definitely a worthwhile watch although not essential viewing

Exporting Raymond - documentary about the show creator's attempt at adapting the show to a Russian audience. The culture clashes make for some good comedy but the premise is a bit stretched for a feature film so overall it gets a tepid recommendation.

Pretty much agree completely on both. I just hate Everybody Loves Raymond so much that it made it hard to engage with the film. Charlie Day elevates a mediocre movie to exactly as you say, a worthwhile watch.

Teenwolf
12-04-2011, 12:04 AM
Batman: Year One - Animated Batman film, very adult-oriented. A little slow, and I hate that every superhero movie needs to be an origin story these days. Not bad, not great, but it's adult-oriented Batman, so any fans will want to check it out regardless.

Frankenhooker - I'd never seen this, and wow... what a treat. It's Re-Animator with a touch more camp, but all of the gags work. Has Troma film sensibilities but with higher production value than your typical Revenge Of The Killer Nerd type of thing.

JudeBaldo
12-04-2011, 05:47 AM

My feelings are quite similar though I probably liked it a little more than you did. The movie's ambiance was a mind****.

revo
12-04-2011, 10:48 AM
Watched the latest Pirates of the Carribbean last night, and I'm willing to wager you can mish-mosh all three of the Pirates films together and come up with 2 hours in any order, and no one would know the difference.

Erik
12-11-2011, 12:11 PM
Kevin Smith's Red State was a lot better than I thought it was going to be, despite the ending not really working. John Goodman, Michael Parks and Melissa Leo were all excellent.

Erik
12-13-2011, 07:51 PM
I have seen most of Woody Allen's movies, but Interiors was one I had put off because a lot of folks find it boring and over-serious. Finally watched it today, and I think it's brilliant, if a bit derivative of Bergman. There's a reason for why the pace and the dialogue are the way they are; the film is really about the prisons that you can create for yourself by over-intellectualizing everything. The ending is absolutely stunningly heartbreaking, and very much earned. The roots of Hannah and Her Sisters, IMO his best film, are here. As is a very young Sam Waterston, looking and sounding nothing like Jack McCoy at all.

This must have really thrown his fans for a loop at the time, coming between Annie Hall and Manhattan.

John Waters, of all people, said something amazingly apt about this film: "If it was in Swedish with subtitles, it would have gotten the praise it deserved."

johnnya24
12-13-2011, 09:27 PM
Speaking of Woody Allen, I saw Midnight in Paris, and thought it was pants. I had high expectations looking at the reviews, but felt it was a real let down. Owen Wilson just didn't work. It was supposed to be a bit silly, but this was stupid silly, not clever silly.

On the other hand, I really liked Crazy Stupid Love. Brilliant cast that really complimented each other ... shame about the trademark embarrassing public confessional moment at the end ... really hate those ... but apart from that, top notch.

And since it's the year of Ryan Gosling, I thought The Ides of March wasn't half bad either. I like the fact it didn't compromise the story they wanted to tell in order to make things more dramatic. Good solid movie.

Erik
12-13-2011, 09:43 PM
Owen Wilson just didn't work.

I found Celebrity really annoying because Kenneth Branaugh was doing a film-long Woody impersonation. If that's what's gonna happen, why doesn't Woody just cast himself? Was something similar going on with Wilson?

johnnya24
12-14-2011, 10:43 AM
I found Celebrity really annoying because Kenneth Branaugh was doing a film-long Woody impersonation. If that's what's gonna happen, why doesn't Woody just cast himself? Was something similar going on with Wilson?
Yeah that is exactly what I was thinking ... that Woody was looking for a modern version of himself in his classic movies. I generally like Owen Wilson ... but this was farce that overstepped the line into stupid IMO.

I liked Vicky Cristina Barcelona ... Midnight in Paris was a let down ... but I'm clearly in the minority here.

heyelander
12-14-2011, 12:33 PM
so being pants is a bad thing, right?

Cobain's Ghost
12-14-2011, 12:50 PM
so being pants is a bad thing, right?

your mom is pants.

as for owen wilson - it's kind of hard to buy a guy who tried to kill himself as a happy-go-lucky goofball.

heyelander
12-14-2011, 05:08 PM
2011 In Film: How A Year Without A Favorite Was A Favorite Year

http://www.npr.org/blogs/monkeysee/2011/12/14/143637170/2011-in-film-how-a-year-without-a-favorite-was-a-favorite-year

So far, awards season has been unsettled — and pleasantly so. The local critics in San Francisco and Toronto made The Tree Of Life their favorite film. The Los Angeles critics picked The Descendants. Critics in New York went with The Artist — so did critics in Boston and Washington. The National Board of Review picked Hugo.

By contrast, last year, The Social Network was the pick of Boston, Washington, New York, Toronto, Los Angeles, San Francisco, and the National Board of Review. Eventual Oscar winner The King's Speech didn't start picking up steam until a little later in the process, and there were certainly other picks here and there (Austin picked Black Swan, for example) but from the time the race really got underway, it leaned, but didn't careen.
-More at link-

johnnya24
12-17-2011, 07:36 PM
Moneyball - terrific movie ... but not a single mention of Tejada, Hudson, Zito or Mulder. They sure as hell did not tell the story of the 2002 season. A casual fan might actually believe that Scott Hatterberg, Chad Bradford and Ricardo Rincon won all those games.

I think I'd be a little pissed off if I were Tim Hudson, Barry Zito or Mark Mulder ... they were backbone of that team, not OBP.

Mithrandir
12-17-2011, 10:46 PM
White Christmas tonight!!

schlesinj
12-19-2011, 01:20 PM
Horrible Bosses - one of the best comedies I've seen this year. Echo all the views above.

Wife and I just watched this last night and it was a really a good one.

johnnya24
12-19-2011, 01:37 PM
Wife and I just watched this last night and it was a really a good one.
I watched it again over the weekend ... and it dawned on me ... all the sub-characters are genuine A-listers (Kevin Spacey, Jennifer Aniston, Jamie Foxx, Colin Farrell), and the actual stars of the movie are B-listers (with the possible exception of Jason Bateman). Charlie Day made it seem like a big budget episode of It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia.

schlesinj
12-19-2011, 02:23 PM
I watched it again over the weekend ... and it dawned on me ... all the sub-characters are genuine A-listers (Kevin Spacey, Jennifer Aniston, Jamie Foxx, Colin Farrell), and the actual stars of the movie are B-listers (with the possible exception of Jason Bateman). Charlie Day made it seem like a big budget episode of It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia.

Agreed, if was nice to see little parts with those A Listers and would have taken away from the movie if they had bigger parts.

Mithrandir
12-26-2011, 08:42 PM
Has anybody watched "Last Year at Marienbad"? It's a B&W French flick form the early 1960's that has been described as either brilliant or unintelligible, pretentious crap. I watched it last night and loved it.

I have read about this film for many years, about how it is so divisive, so I finally gave it a viewing.

Mithrandir
12-26-2011, 08:43 PM
Just saw "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" today and really enjoyed it.

The book is one of my all-time favorites.

DMT
12-26-2011, 08:53 PM
Has anybody watched "Last Year at Marienbad"? It's a B&W French flick form the early 1960's that has been described as either brilliant or unintelligible, pretentious crap. I watched it last night and loved it.

I have read about this film for many years, about how it is so divisive, so I finally gave it a viewing.

Yes, it is a classic.

swampdragon
12-26-2011, 09:36 PM
I saw Young Adult last week - wow - It was really bad (but one of my friends plays a generic mom in the house party scene) - sorry Charlize Theron fans

Yesterday I saw Mission Impossible and thought it better than the average action bad guy movie - it was fun with good settings.

I think that there were way too many people at the movies yesterday - you gentiles should be at home celebrating Christmas with your families

rhd
12-27-2011, 03:10 AM
I just discovered this thread. I am a big movie buff, but mostly older movies (pre-1975 or so). I will try to visit here often.

I dont watch many modern movies; I very seldom go to the theatre. There probably are some modern movies that I'd like, but I dont want to wade thru the dreck to find the gems. I make it a point to note the films rated highly by critics. Often, highly rated dont impress me but they do impress often enough that I continue to pay them attention.

There seem to be a lot of remakes these days. Most of them dont come close to the caliber of the originals. Case in point is Sahara, which was remade sometime in the last decade. I happened to watch it and it was nothing close to the original, which was made during WWII, when the outcome was still in doubt, and starred Bogart. The original was rather unique in that it didnt have any boy-girl love story at all; as a matter of fact, I dont recall a female in even a minor role in it. Yet it was great. More of an inspirational story of people overcoming impossible odds than a true war movie. I highly recommend it. Another old film recently remade that I highly recommend watching the original of is The Four Feathers, a British production made in the '40s. I havent seen the remake, but I doubt if anywhere as good as the original. The original is amazing, a must see for all lovers of classic film. And it has one of best endings of all time.

I did watch some of the Oscar-nominated films of last year. I thought The Social Network was very good and of course The King's Speech also. Black Swan was interesting, but I highly recommend another ballet film The Red Shoes from 1948. One of the best films ever made and in my personal Top 10. The story itself was captivating, but even completely ignoring the story, the music alone captivated me. 127 Hours was OK, but kind of hard to keep your interest after a while from lack of action. I also saw an interesting animated film, which I forget the name of. It was about a young girl in Scotland who meets an old traveling magician down on his luck who she idolizes and she starts to travel w him. It actually was made some years ago but was just recently released for some reason.

This year, I've seen 2 movies. I read the book Moneyball, and I didnt expect much from the movie but I was surprised that it was as good as it was. If you can look past some of the 'mythology' associated w the Moneyball A's, it is worthwhile seeing. And I just saw The Help which also was good. I would expect that both movies will receive some sort of Oscar nomination(s).

As you might expect, I dont use Netflix or Redbox, since they have mostly modern movies. One of the best channels on TV is Turner Classic Movies, which regularly shows great classic films. The Fox Movie Channel also is very good, if your cable company has it. AMC also has some good movies, but nothing like they used to have. Actually, the This channel, which I didnt discover until recently, has some good movies, too.

johnnya24
12-27-2011, 03:35 AM
Caught up with a few movies over the holidays ... one that I enjoyed, that I didn't expect to was Columbiana. I had heard so-so reviews about this, but IMO, as an action movie, it is one of the best I've seen in a while. It's quite dark, and doesn't add any frills, and of course being an action based movie, as long as you leave part of your common sense at the door, it will be a reasonably enjoyable experience. It's a bit like one of those really good 80's action movies with a contemporary gloss ... and of course a really good fight scene near the end.

baldgriff
12-27-2011, 12:48 PM
I went out and saw Sherlock Holmes this weekend. Very enjoyable movie and it never stops moving.

off_the_wall
12-29-2011, 11:44 AM
Columbiana.
Zoe Saldana is fine in the lead role. Don't worry about the plot, just sit back and enjoy the action.

Ides of March.
The movie isn't going to reveal anything the viewer already doesn't know, however, the all-star cast makes it worth watching. While Clooney and Gosling get all the media attention for this movie, Philip Seymour Hoffman and Paul Giamatti steal every scene they are in.

Captain America.
Better than I expected but didn't like the ending.

Rise of the Planet of the Apes.
Didn't have high expectations going in but FAR exceeded them. A worthy successor to the classic original.

Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol
See the last sentence of the above Columbiana review.

heyelander
12-29-2011, 01:07 PM
agree with OTW on all his reviews above except MI4. Haven't seen it yet.

Gregg
12-30-2011, 05:08 PM
We watched Apollo 18 last night. The filming really reminded me of growing up with the space race. A little slow for my wife who is too young to remember it. It is one of those movies that I am glad I watched but will never watch it again. Not excellent but interesting with excellent parts.

Controller Jacobs
12-31-2011, 05:58 PM
Tried watching The Black Swan with my wife. I have the same reaction as when I saw Crash - my favorite character is the meteor I hope comes in and quickly wipes out every character in the film.

DMT
12-31-2011, 06:00 PM
Tried watching The Black Swan with my wife. I have the same reaction as when I saw Crash - my favorite character is the meteor I hope comes in and quickly wipes out every character in the film.

Haha...I felt the same way about Crash.

Erik
12-31-2011, 10:47 PM
Weird, I loved Black Swan but got annoyed by Crash.

Fresno Bob
01-01-2012, 05:24 AM
I came home to find my thirteen year old son watching "Red Dawn" yesterday, I had to explain to my 11 year old that it was the Russians and the cubans that invaded, not the Russians and the Canadians.....there's been a lot of stabbings and throat sliting from behind, and the bellowing of "Wolverines!" since.....

SeaDogStat
01-05-2012, 12:09 AM
RED With Bruce Willis, Helen Miren, Morgan Freeman, John Malkovitch, Mary Louise Parker... a good solid action, adventure, comedy thriller. Solid 7/10 for me but then I love quirky, character driven movies. Malkovitch just kills me in this.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1245526/

johnnya24
01-05-2012, 12:35 AM
Just watched Cowboys and Aliens last night. It was, in a complete shocker, pretty stupid. Harrison Ford is just not that convincing as a hard-ass old time cowboy.
Yeah ... I dint know why movies like this get green lit.

Watched The Bone Collector (1999) last night ... only about 10 years old, but already seems dated in the wake of all these high tech and well researched TV series that have taken this genre to another level. Apart from that, pretty lame. The "relationship" between Angeline Jolie and Denzel Washington made no sense ... really amateurish, and some hammy acting from Jolie at times ... especially when she had to try and smile sincerely.

off_the_wall
01-05-2012, 11:13 AM
The Debt
Stars Helen Mirren, Tom Wilkinson. Told through parallel narratives, the story is about a trio who track down a Nazi war criminal. Despite, the somewhat cliche story, the movie is strong, with good performances throughout. Worth a look.

Apollo 18.
Despite being ravaged by rottentomatoes (I think its below 20%), I thought it was decent but not great. The premise is about " found footage " of astronauts who go to the moon, only to realize they are not alone. The " found footage " angle is kinda boring, and the fact there isn't much tension at all, doesn't help matters.

revo
01-07-2012, 01:06 AM
Wow, The Hangover Part II was unbelievably terrible.

bryanbutler
01-07-2012, 05:13 AM
yep - hangover II was awful. saw it on a plane to europe. on that same trip saw the newest pirates of the caribbean, which was equally awful (somebody already noted that in this thread).

on that same trip also saw Horrible Bosses, which had its good moments, but also had some pretty bad bits. jennifer anniston in nothing but a lab coat had me with a chubby for sure though!

Erik
01-07-2012, 12:51 PM
Horrible Bosses was much funnier than I thought it was going to be. I didn't think it had many bad bits at all.

Hangover I was decent but not the kind of thing that holds up to repeated viewings. When I heard that Hangover II was essentially the exact same movie in a different location, I avoided it.

Fresno Bob
01-07-2012, 01:16 PM
I saw "True Grit" Thursday night, much better than the original.

SeaDogStat
01-07-2012, 04:38 PM

Really? I had kinda avoided it because I loved the original...but I will have to give it a look...

"I call that bold talk from a one-eyed, fat man!"

"Well, fill your hand, you sonovabitch!"

Steve
01-07-2012, 05:09 PM
Really? I had kinda avoided it because I loved the original...but I will have to give it a look...

The new one is better, just because Glenn Campbell is not in it.

The Dane
01-07-2012, 08:00 PM

Agreed. I thought True Grit was great. I know it's probably sacrilege, but I grew up watching every John Wayne movie ever made on KTLA 5, and I always found him a little comical and hard to take seriously as an actor. I liked his movies because they had shootouts and plane crashes, and there is nothing unlikeable about Wayne, but I always thought he was kind of a caricature and not really a character in his films. True Grit was just begging to get remade, and the Coen Brothers nailed it, in my opinion.

DMT
01-07-2012, 08:04 PM
I agree that True Grit was excellent. I haven't seen the original.

Erik
01-07-2012, 09:11 PM
I agree that True Grit was excellent. I haven't seen the original.

Same here.

The Coens said they wanted to do a remake because there was so much stuff in the book that wasn't in Wayne's version.

Mithrandir
01-07-2012, 09:23 PM

My sentiments exactly....and those quotes are GOLD, Jerry..GOLD!!!

rhd
01-08-2012, 12:08 AM
Agreed. I thought True Grit was great. I know it's probably sacrilege, but I grew up watching every John Wayne movie ever made on KTLA 5, and I always found him a little comical and hard to take seriously as an actor. I liked his movies because they had shootouts and plane crashes, and there is nothing unlikeable about Wayne, but I always thought he was kind of a caricature and not really a character in his films. True Grit was just begging to get remade, and the Coen Brothers nailed it, in my opinion.

I have seen only the original so far, and I also thought it was great (despite Glen Campbell :) ). After seeing several endorsements of the remake here, I'll have to check it out when I get a chance, but will have a high bar to clear for me.

JudeBaldo
01-08-2012, 12:22 AM
I have seen only the original so far, and I also thought it was great (despite Glen Campbell :) ). After seeing several endorsements of the remake here, I'll have to check it out when I get a chance, but will have a high bar to clear for me.

Another endorsement for the True Grit remake over here.

I saw The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo last night and it was solid and entertaining. I was surprised by how well Daniel Craig acted.

rhd
01-08-2012, 12:24 AM

There are lot of great quotes from the original, which are only part of what makes it great. Just off the top of my head:

"They must have all been family men 'cause they turned tail and headed for home."

"A clumsier child you've never seen than Horace! He musta broke 40 cup."

Whoever wrote the script was great. Maybe a bit campy, but charmingly witty. And in addition to Wayne's usual performance as a charismatic tough guy, Kim Darby was great in her role, too. Actually, Wayne's character also had an endearingly vulnerable side to it, which worked well w Darby's character, which was also tough but vulnerable because of her youth, small size and gender. They complemented each other's vulnerabilities, and each 'had grit' in their own way.

rhd
01-08-2012, 12:27 AM
Same here.

The Coens said they wanted to do a remake because there was so much stuff in the book that wasn't in Wayne's version.

I didnt realize that it was based on a book. One of my penchants is to read the book that movies I like were based on, so now I will look for the book (is it also called True Grit?).

The Dane
01-08-2012, 01:23 AM
I saw The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo last night and it was solid and entertaining. I was surprised by how well Daniel Craig acted.

I just saw that as well, and was impressed. The rape scenes were pretty shocking, though; it's not for the faint of heart. I'm going to read the books now.

johnnya24
01-08-2012, 02:25 AM
True Grit was terrific.

I haven't seen the Fincher remake of The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo yet ... I thought the Swedish remakes were very good, and kinda made this version pretty much redundant ... but I'll probably see it because it's such a good story. I've got Noomi Rapace is my head as Lisbeth Salander, so it will be a bit weird to see someone else in the role so soon.