PDA

View Full Version : Bill comes due for Knicks fans

Hammer
03-16-2011, 12:57 PM
http://www.newyorkpost.com/p/sports/knicks/tix_hike_prices_out_some_fans_6LJyuuEGxfIR0hsjOkmU qK

they got some big hairy ones.....

heyelander
03-16-2011, 02:00 PM
I have a difficult time feeling sympathetic outrage for people who were spending 30k a year on basketball tickets.

Hammer
03-16-2011, 02:03 PM
I have a difficult time feeling sympathetic outrage for people who were spending 30k a year on basketball tickets.

right, as long as theyre trying to rob people who might be able to afford it, its okay.

Mithrandir
03-16-2011, 02:11 PM
what's the problem? You want your team to have big time stars..you pay the price.

Stoudemire and the other big stars gotta eat, ya know...

heyelander
03-16-2011, 02:13 PM
right, as long as they're trying to rob people who might be able to afford it, its okay.

who is being robbed here? Some people apparently have to move back a section.

onejayhawk
03-16-2011, 02:18 PM
right, as long as theyre trying to rob people who might be able to afford it, its okay.

As near as I can tell, this is voluntary. If you dont want to pony the price, you can keep your money. I would say that leaves out robbery.

J

Hammer
03-16-2011, 02:22 PM
As near as I can tell, this is voluntary. If you dont want to pony the price, you can keep your money. I would say that leaves out robbery.

J

you mean the front office isnt coming to the fans' houses with guns? My bad.

Mithrandir
03-16-2011, 02:52 PM
you mean the front office isnt coming to the fans' houses with guns? My bad.

you are not seriously criticizing the Knicks for raising tickets prices-- are you???

Hammer
03-16-2011, 02:55 PM
you are not seriously criticizing the Knicks for raising tickets prices-- are you???

of course I am. Can they win something first? raising some tickets as much as 197% is thievery plain and simple.

Mithrandir
03-16-2011, 03:14 PM
of course I am. Can they win something first? raising some tickets as much as 197% is thievery plain and simple.

it's not about winning..it's about having to pay the big dogs...you want Amare, you pay for Amare..it's that simple.

BuckyBuckner
03-16-2011, 03:17 PM
it's not about winning..it's about having to pay the big dogs...you want Amare, you pay for Amare..it's that simple.

But when you have a salary cap their budget doesn't go up. They are paying Amare now but they didn't raise the prices when they were paying Eddy Currie.

Hammer
03-16-2011, 03:21 PM
But when you have a salary cap their budget doesn't go up. They are paying Amare now but they didn't raise the prices when they were paying Eddy Currie.

correct and how exactly did their bottom line go up when they were up against the cap before and are still up against it?

Bob Kohm
03-16-2011, 04:28 PM
Anybody else get a chuckle when the proponents of the free market solution when it comes to workers get their panties in a bunch when it applies to the things they want, too? Aww, the owners of your already luxury-priced basketball tix are testing the market to see what it will bear? Cry me a river until you agree that ExxonMobil, Cargill, ArcherDanielsMidland and the others that produce things necessary for everyone to buy shouldn't be allowed to do that with impunity either, otherwise I just don't care. When you agree that Safeway and Kroger have to share their excessive profits with "small markets" then the ranting about baseball revenue sharing might not make me laugh my ass off when erstwhile capitalists in minor cities scream for it. When you stop bitching about paying a fair tax on your excessive income, then you can try again to suggest that a clearly punitive "luxury tax" is reasonable without people stifling laughter in your presence. Until you make your reality align with your fantasy world, though... not so interested in hearing what you have to say on the matter. Sorry.

Mithrandir
03-16-2011, 04:42 PM

The salary cap occured to me after i posted. But if the Knicks can sell all their tickets at a higher rate, shouldn't they do that. Wouldn't you if you owned a team?

BuckyBuckner
03-16-2011, 04:58 PM
The salary cap occured to me after i posted. But if the Knicks can sell all their tickets at a higher rate, shouldn't they do that. Wouldn't you if you owned a team?

Yes, I understand the fact the fact that prices will go up. But did you see the example, $330 ticket goes up to $900. To say that's excessive seems like an understatement to me.

heyelander
03-16-2011, 05:10 PM
Anybody else get a chuckle when the proponents of the free market solution when it comes to workers get their panties in a bunch when it applies to the things they want, too? Aww, the owners of your already luxury-priced basketball tix are testing the market to see what it will bear?

that was kind of my thoughts...

if they were pricing people out of the stadium I might be a bit more sympathetic... but not if they are pricing people out of the front three rows.

Mithrandir
03-16-2011, 09:30 PM
Yes, I understand the fact the fact that prices will go up. But did you see the example, $330 ticket goes up to $900. To say that's excessive seems like an understatement to me.

$900 for top notch seats is expensive ? in NY? Maybe the seats were underpriced for too long.

Judge Jude
03-16-2011, 09:59 PM
Knicks tickets this year are underpriced, by a LOT. These prices are much more in line with actual value as the market defines it.

The secondary market demonstrates that. Good luck trying to buy ANY Knicks seat for face value on stubhub these days. These long-suffering fans have had the option since the Carmelo Anthony trade of making a mint per game if they choose to. I've talked to the stubhub analysts, and they say prices on their market have more than doubled since he was acquired.

If the Knicks only raised prices 10 percent, they would be setting up a scenario where ticket brokers would invariably make sure to buy up all the tickets.

And why not? Those tickets not only would really be free, they'd be better than that - you could sell your tix for a profit for every single game, before the season ever started. Or you could roll the dice that the Knicks will win more than 50 games and get out of the first round of the playoffs. If they do, the market for those playoff tickets would be astronomical.

The Knicks have two choices - a huge markup that puts much of the added "demand" dollars in their pockets, or give most of it away to ticket brokers.

I covered about 100 Knicks playoff games in the 1990s, half of those at the Garden. Chicago is the one place in the country that had even a louder atmosphere (while the Bulls still played at Chicago Stadium, that is), but the vibe in NY - with all the celebrities everywhere you turned - was unique. If the Knicks climb back to contending status, it will be the same situation all over again.

They only have 20,000 seats. NY has 3 boroughs with 2 million+ people, and almost a million people in Bergen County, NJ and countless more in Long Island, Westchester... Even in a tough economy, there are more than enough people who want to be "part of the game" to make these prices work.

BuckyBuckner
03-18-2011, 08:32 PM
I didn't see it in the article but I am watching the Rangers game right now and they said the tickets for their games will go up by 24%. The reason apparently for all the price increases is because they are spending about a billion dollars in renovations to Madison Square Garden.