Delusional Mayor of Miami-Dade Relieved of Duties in Recall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Delusional Mayor of Miami-Dade Relieved of Duties in Recall

Alvarez needs to be nominated for the Darwin Award. 14 percent property tax increase in a stagnant economic environment like Florida?

The Cuban-born Alvarez came under criticism last year when Miami-Dade, saddled with record high 12 percent unemployment and the same budget deficits faced by many local and state governments, introduced a property tax increase to help fund vital services including police and public schools.

The 14 percent tax hike was imposed despite double-digit declines in real estate values as south Florida was hammered by the U.S. housing and mortgage foreclosure crisis.

Norman Braman, an auto dealer mogul listed by Forbes magazine among the 400 wealthiest Americans, bankrolled the petition drive that led to Tuesday's vote. Local media reports say he has spent about $1 million on the effort, which he orchestrated through two political action committees.

That's former Philadelphia Eagles owner Norman Braman that funded the recall. Mr. Braman would have demonstrated greater business acumen had he held onto the Eagles instead of selling them to Jeffrie Lurie, even though, at the time, he got a great price for them ($180M if memory serves).

Comment

I haven't been following the story so I don't have much comment on the recall itself, but on Norman Braman... when are working people going to wise up and, instead of reserving all of their suspicion for elected officials, going to put it where it mainly belongs-- on the wealthy and corporations who are constantly working to manipulate those officials to their benefit? Funny how that almost never intersects with the benefit of the middle and lower economic classes, the voters who get behind so many of these "conservative" movements, isn't it? Some suspicion of government is good, but the base reason for that suspicion is that government is being manipulated. As I tell my sons, never waste your time striking at the hand-- strike at the brain controlling the hand. It's time that we all rethink our party allegiances or whether we should even have party allegiances at all-- Trader Mac has a lot more in common with Frae or Jason Collette than he does with Norman Braman or the Koch Brothers, yet they're supposedly on opposite ends of the political spectrum. We need to move past the "social" wedge crap and take our real concerns-- housing, jobs, economic prosperity and what is actually best for our country rather than for the top 1% of our country-- to the forefront.
      Last edited by Bob Kohm; 03-16-2011, 09:04 AM.
      "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

Isn't this the same mayor that got the Marlins stadium pushed through on the backs of the public? If so, good riddance.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Kohm View Post
          I haven't been following the story so I don't have much comment on the recall itself, but on Norman Braman... when are working people going to wise up and, instead of reserving all of their suspicion for elected officials, going to put it where it mainly belongs-- on the wealthy and corporations who are constantly working to manipulate those officials to their benefit? Funny how that almost never intersects with the benefit of the middle and lower economic classes, the voters who get behind so many of these "conservative" movements, isn't it? Some suspicion of government is good, but the base reason for that suspicion is that government is being manipulated. As I tell my sons, never waste your time striking at the hand-- strike at the brain controlling the hand. It's time that we all rethink our party allegiances or whether we should even have party allegiances at all-- Trader Mac has a lot more in common with Frae or Jason Collette than he does with Norman Braman or the Koch Brothers, yet they're supposedly on opposite ends of the political spectrum. We need to move past the "social" wedge crap and take our real concerns-- housing, jobs, economic prosperity and what is actually best for our country rather than for the top 1% of our country-- to the forefront.
          A bullet from the back of a bush took Medgar Evers’ blood
          A finger fired the trigger to his name
          A handle hid out in the dark
          A hand set the spark
          Two eyes took the aim
          Behind a man’s brain
          But he can’t be blamed
          He’s only a pawn in their game

A South politician preaches to the poor white man
          “You got more than the blacks, don’t complain.
          You’re better than them, you been born with white skin,” they explain.
          And the Negro’s name
          Is used it is plain
          For the politician’s gain
          As he rises to fame
          And the poor white remains
          On the caboose of the train
          But it ain’t him to blame

The deputy sheriffs, the soldiers, the governors get paid
          And the marshals and cops get the same
          But the poor white man’s used in the hands of them all like a tool
          He’s taught in his school
          From the start by the rule
          That the laws are with him
          To protect his white skin
          To keep up his hate
          So he never thinks straight
          ’Bout the shape that he’s in

From the poverty shacks, he looks from the cracks to the tracks
          And the hoofbeats pound in his brain
          And he’s taught how to walk in a pack
          Shoot in the back
          With his fist in a clinch
          To hang and to lynch
          To hide ’neath the hood
          To kill with no pain
          Like a dog on a chain
          He ain’t got no name
          He’s only a pawn in their game.

Today, Medgar Evers was buried from the bullet he caught
          They lowered him down as a king
          But when the shadowy sun sets on the one
          That fired the gun
          He’ll see by his grave
          On the stone that remains
          Carved next to his name
          His epitaph plain:
          Only a pawn in their game
          "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

I haven't been following the story so I don't have much comment on the recall itself, but on Norman Braman... when are working people going to wise up and, instead of reserving all of their suspicion for elected officials, going to put it where it mainly belongs-- on the wealthy and corporations who are constantly working to manipulate those officials to their benefit? Funny how that almost never intersects with the benefit of the middle and lower economic classes, the voters who get behind so many of these "conservative" movements, isn't it?
            Well, given that I feel the same way about "liberal" movements, it's not too hard to see why we have differences.
            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

You feel that the liberals are the ones financially manipulating government? Really?
              "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

You feel that the liberals are the ones financially manipulating government? Really?
                come on Bob, it's the Unions, they caused the tsunami too!
                "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

re Mith's post - Bob Dylan said that. Wrote the song in mid-1963, just past his 22nd birthday. Performed it in Washington, DC on Aug 28, 1963, part of a gathering that included MLK Jr's "I Have a Dream" speech. Southern universities still didn't allow black students; segregation ruled the day, and black people had to drink from "colored" public drinking fountains.

And this skinny kid from Minnesota just bangs that one out of nowhere. The cadence and the sneering voice are a work of art. A smooth voice would only lessen the impact - snarling is quite needed there.....
                  finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                  own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                  won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                  RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                  C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                  1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                  OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Those who are wealthy or corporations, or have access to large amounts of money, certainly as much as any "conservative" money. Let's talk Net Neutrality - who's driving that? Yup, tech companies with vast money run by "liberals". Leading green energy companies? Many are owned in part, majority or entirety by Vinod Khosla; former co-founder of Sun and with vast ties and money into the Democratic leadership. Music protection and enforcement increased? Yeah, RIAA, predominantly a "liberal" contributing group. Shoot, I could continue until the post was too long.

Now, before the tinfoil hats get distributed, as I've said before, and will repeat again, I do not believe there's some puppetmaster (Soros, SEIU, yada) running President Obama from afar, as many right-wingers love to dabble in, insinuate, or even directly claim. But to say there's not "liberal" money influencing and manipulating government and laws to some degree is simply to wallow in ignorance. And there's "conservative" money influencing and manipulating government and laws to some degree as well. Powerful lobbying groups on both sides of the aisle wield influence.

But not absolute power. As I've noted earlier, the truly powerful lobbies are not the richest, but those that turn out dedicated voters every election. The NRA is powerful not because it's rich; it's because their voters turn out at every election and are proven to vote on issues critical to them. Politicians know they cross the NRA at their peril; much like the Bourbons, they never forget, they never forgive, and they're always willing to fight another round. Same for the AARP.
                    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Working...
                    X