Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *** VD 7 Commentary Thread ***

Proposed draft:

Limited player pool: 1970-present only (eligibility determined by the BY chosen)
    No letter, decade or franchise restrictions
    10x10
    25 Rounds (15 hitters & 10 pitchers)
    Multi + 0.75
    No KO's

In:

TS Garp
    Revo
    Johnny
    Heyelander
    Eldiablo
    Controller J
    Hacko
    Pogues
    Frae
    Long John
    Feral

Waiting on:

Knuckleballs

I have PM'd the usual suspects:

DMT;
    mjl;
    Kevin Seitzer;
    Riff Raff;
    cavebird;
    off_the_wall;
    joncarlos;
    bryanbutler;
    OaklandA's;
    Last edited by johnnya24; 05-06-2013, 02:00 PM.

I've no idea how deep this will go ... 250-60 deep into this player pool seems like a good chunk.

Comment

Psyched to do this and get deeper into the player pool. It'll be good for a guy like Dummy Hoy to have real value. Hell, Harry Stovey has gone undrafted lately!

Comment

Aren't there two categories we can add to pitchers? Win %? Walks?

Comment

Dropping saves? Wussies. If the category doesn't fit into making things boring, just drop it!
          Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

I am in

Comment

there's one issue with this format, and his name is Babe Ruth. Whoever gets the #1 spot and takes him instantly starts off with a 180 HR advantage (next closest in HRs over this period had 534). So because of that, I was thinking that maybe the years should be 1875-1919 with the limitation that Ruth can only be selected as a Pitcher. Then the next period would be 1920-1969, followed by 1970-2012. This way, Ruth falls into the second period and the HRs are far more plentiful.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                there's one issue with this format, and his name is Babe Ruth. Whoever gets the #1 spot and takes him instantly starts off with a 180 HR advantage (next closest in HRs over this period had 534). So because of that, I was thinking that maybe the years should be 1875-1919 with the limitation that Ruth can only be selected as a Pitcher. Then the next period would be 1920-1969, followed by 1970-2012. This way, Ruth falls into the second period and the HRs are far more plentiful.
                700+ HR - Ruth

~500 HR - Foxx, Ott, Gehrig

-------------------

300+ HR - DiMaggio, Greenberg, Simmons, Hornsby, Klein

250+ HR - CY Williams, York, Bob Johnson

230+ HR - Hartnett, Averill, Camilli, Berger, Wilson, Goslin

200+ HR - Dickey, Medwick, Bottomley, Trosky

180+ HR - Herman, Heinrich, Heilmann, Gehringer, Lombardi, Heath, Ken Williams

150+ HR - Terry, Meusel, Keltner, Hafey, Cronin, Clift, Lazzeri

130+ HR - Kuhel, Wheat, Ripper Collins, Travis Jackson, Fournier, Connor, Higgins, George Kelly

110+ HR - Manush, Waner, O'Doul, Hurst, Miller, Speaker, Cobb, Tilly Walker, Ryan, Cravath, Bonura, Cochrane, McManus, Stovey, Gee Walker, Thompson, Cuyler

Comment

We could set a handicap on the upper limit of Career HR's

Comment

Also, if we go with 1875-1919, the 1920-1969 period would be interesting from a pitching perspective.

700+ HR - Ruth

~500 HR - Foxx, Ott, Gehrig

-------------------

300+ HR - DiMaggio, Greenberg, Simmons, Hornsby, Klein

250+ HR - CY Williams, York, Bob Johnson

230+ HR - Hartnett, Averill, Camilli, Berger, Wilson, Goslin

200+ HR - Dickey, Medwick, Bottomley, Trosky

Right, so a Top 5 pick would almost instantly be worth two lower 1st round hitters in HRs, with Ruth equalling three of them.

Even if we set an upper limit on career HRs, it would be almost impossible for a non-Top 5 team to compete in career HRs.

If we adjust the periods, it also evens out the periods to about 40-years each.

Comment

Revo raises a good point, although someone could still take Ruth for 1919. We could go 1870 - 1915, 1916 - 1961, 1962 - 2012.

I wouldn't mind splitting it up even further, but maybe we should start with 3?

Comment

Also, if we go with 1875-1919, the 1920-1969 period would be interesting from a pitching perspective.

Right, so a Top 5 pick would almost instantly be worth two lower 1st round hitters in HRs, with Ruth equalling three of them.

Even if we set an upper limit on career HRs, it would be almost impossible for a non-Top 5 team to compete in career HRs.

If we adjust the periods, it also evens out the periods to about 40-years each.
                        Problem is that the 1870's are dreadful, the 1880's are below average, the 1900's are mediocre and only held up by the 1890's overflow, and the 1910's suck. So we'd be drafting dregs pretty soon ... especially in a position like Catcher (1920's and 30's add some depth to C).

... adding the 1920's and 1930's hitters brings important value to the player pool IMO.

A career HR ceiling of 400-420 HR's would solve the problem

Comment

Originally posted by TS Garp View Post
                          Revo raises a good point, although someone could still take Ruth for 1919. We could go 1870 - 1915, 1916 - 1961, 1962 - 2012.

I wouldn't mind splitting it up even further, but maybe we should start with 3?
                          I had mentioned earlier that if we did a 1875-1919 draft, Ruth could only be taken as a pitcher. That would solve the hitting problem.

A career HR ceiling of 400-420 HR's would solve the problem
                          I'm not sure I follow. Everyone will have >400 career HRs from even a non-top 5 HR slugger lineup.

Comment

all of you have me fuckin' blocked... don't you.
                            I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

I had mentioned earlier that if we did a 1875-1919 draft, Ruth could only be taken as a pitcher. That would solve the hitting problem.
                              Missed that -- I like that solution.

Comment

Working...
                              X