Great Article about Gil MEche

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great Article about Gil MEche

A real nice article by the New York Times about Gil Meche's decision to retire.
    I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Thanks for sharing this. Three cheers for Gil Meche.

Comment

Think they will pocket the money or go after someone else? Too bad they didnt have that $12 million about a month and a half ago. They could have offered Greinke at least one year.

Comment

Hmmmmm....I guess. First off, let me be clear about one thing - Gil Meche can and should do whatever he wanted.

OTOH, I think players would have been better off if he'd taken a nominal sum and retired, and as part of him giving back a huge chunk of the $12 mil, required the Royals to officially state he retired and was given an "injury settlement".
        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

This is the sort of thing I'd like to think I'd do in his situation. I hope they pay it forward to their fans and spend the money wisely.

Comment

Very, very cool. I knew the basics of his story but it was nice to read some of the particulars. Class act.

Comment

From the article, it seems like Meche lives a simple (cheap) lifestyle so he probably will have no regrets. But, i wouldn't have faulted him for being a setup guy or long reliever to get the extra $12 million left on his contract and another $6 million or so into his retirement nest egg.
              “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
              X