Saudi Arabia to Invade Bahrain Today? Far Reaching Implications

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saudi Arabia to Invade Bahrain Today? Far Reaching Implications

Reports have emerged already from reliable sources (such as Stratfor) that Saudi forces may have already entered Bahrain in support of the besieged government and that Omani forces will enter today as well.

I cannot emphasize enough how important this development could be for America and the world-- please do not discount this development because the media is not reporting on it adequately due to the news overload from Japan and Libya; frankly I suspect that this is happening right now in part because of the saturation of the news cycle as Saudi intervention has been rumoured to be ready to go for three weeks now.

Why is this so important? There are two major reasons. First, Saudi and GCC military intervention tells us that there is the real possibility of the Shi'a rebellion succeeding, a major problem as it is being financially and politically backed by Iran's Revolutionary Guard Corps and representing the long feared first action of Iran on the Western side of the Gulf. As Stratfor points out, Saudi and Omani intervention becomes a very apparent threat to an Iran that is feeling particularly belligerent these days. I would add to that that while Iran cannot really project any land power across the Gulf, it is not without reason to suspect that they might try overt air or naval action or, much more likely, might wage a large scale, thinly covert terrorist wave campaign sponsored by the IRGC and targeted at Saudi and Omani ol targets as well as against the US 5th Fleet which is based in Bahrian. America is economically vulnerable right now and so a crippling strike on oil distribution or production facilities or even the renewal of something like the "Tanker War" of the 1980s, the mining of the Straits or even the announced "closing" of the Straits would be a direct attack on our economy; if gas is already heading to $4 based on Libya, what would it go to if the Persian Gulf oil flow was interdicted, and what would $7-10 gas do to our economy? It's got to be a seductive idea to the Ayatollahs-- flexing Iranian muscle against the Saudis to possibly establish an Iranian puppet connected to the Kingdom by a causeway while embarrassing the Americans and making a long term rise in oil prices inevitable. America's options will be limited-- we can't afford a general war with Iran and doing anything meaningful to Iran will further exacerbate the oil crisis, we'd be limited to tactical actions like going after Iranian naval assets.

Second, Saudi intervention to put down one of the "popular" revolts sweeping the region makes the possibility of internal instability in the Kingdom much more possible than it appears to be right now. I don't really need to go into the huge global repercussions of internal strife in the Kingdom which threatens or limits production and distribution.

Should either of these situations come to pass-- and one happening makes the other much more likely to happen as well in a cascade-- other actors will come into play, notably Venezuela. Chavez will be unable to resist the chance to further screw the US by messing with his own oil production to exacerbate our difficulties at a time when his fortunes are starting to fade. Japan is totally reliant on the Gulf for its oil and is obviously already in a chaotic state and in a little reported (in the West) but very active confrontation with China over the Spratly Islands, which has flared badly over the last six weeks-- what impact could there be on that situation, even moreso because of the petroleum/natural gas reserves suspected to exist there?

If I'm right, this intervention could be the start of a bad spiral extending globally over the coming months. It might present dramatically over the next few days or it could unfold slowly over the next few weeks, but be assured that there will be very negative ramifications of a Saudi/GCC intervention in Bahrain.
    Last edited by Bob Kohm; 03-14-2011, 08:32 AM.
    "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry
Working...
X