Excellent movies that aren't!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excellent movies that aren't!

Gone With The Wind is the finest movie that I think is not excellent. Really wanted to like this movie. Have fallen asleep two or three times.

What are yours?

The Dark Night ... apparently the 10th best rated movie of all time according to IMDB (and the second highest number of votes into the bargain). Don't get me wrong ... it's a good movie ... but that is just silly. I fell asleep near the end first time I saw it. Way overrated IMO.

Comment

Saving Private Ryan. People hold it up as if it's a cinematic classic and I don't even think it's Top 5 of it's on genre.

Of course, I have an irrational dislike of the formulaic Steven Speilberg pulling on your heartstrings moment that has to be in every film. (The waving flag, the red rose - etc.)

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
        Saving Private Ryan. People hold it up as if it's a cinematic classic and I don't even think it's Top 5 of it's on genre.

Of course, I have an irrational dislike of the formulaic Steven Speilberg pulling on your heartstrings moment that has to be in every film. (The waving flag, the red rose - etc.)
        Sorry, I disagree, that opening scene of the storming of Normandy alone propels this movie into the best-ever discussion. That it lost out to Shakespeare in Love for best picture was a complete joke.
        If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
        - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

I'm not sure how many people actually consider it an excellent movie, but somehow Crash won best picture, and I thought it was awful.
          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
          - Terence McKenna

Comment

Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
            The Dark Night ... apparently the 10th best rated movie of all time according to IMDB (and the second highest number of votes into the bargain). Don't get me wrong ... it's a good movie ... but that is just silly. I fell asleep near the end first time I saw it. Way overrated IMO.
            Obviously not top-10 all-time but The Dark Knight was an excellent movie IMO.
            - Terence McKenna

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
              I'm not sure how many people actually consider it an excellent movie, but somehow Crash won best picture, and I thought it was awful.
              Yeah ... I have never felt compelled to watch it again. It was a good movie, but best picture? ... here are the 4 movies it beat to the statuette:

Brokeback Mountain
              Capote
              Good Night, and Good Luck (I think this is an excellent little movie)
              Munich

I would say all 4 of the other movies were better. But best picture at the Oscars doesn't really mean anything does it? Pulp Fiction, Shawshank etc.

I thought The Dark Night was an excellent movie for its genre ... and still a good movie overall ... I enjoyed it (if a bit bored by the end ... hence the nodding off). But I personally feel it was overrated and overhyped.

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                the one with James Spader and Holly Hunter is a lot better....
                "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                  the one with James Spader and Holly Hunter is a lot better....
                  Actually that was my first thought when I saw 'Crash'... then I saw 'oscar' and realised. Can't think what might have made me think of the Cronenberg movie ... hmmm.

Comment

Working...
                  X