PDA

View Full Version : Facebook thread, circa 2011

Judge Jude
01-26-2011, 11:07 PM
Lots of wacky comments to be had re this phenomenon, so let's get it started here in case the old thread doesn't migrate.

I seem to be frustrating many high school/college/other acquaintances by STILL not being on Facebook (I'm in the public eye and on Twitter, so it's not like I'm hiding. Sorry I don't post what I had for breakfast on Facebook!).

I'm also on LinkedIn.
Got a "would like to add you to my professional network" request today.

From an old girlfriend - I dated her from 1986-90.
Haven't heard from her in 20 years.

A LinkedIn request?
Really?

What would you do with this one?

DJBeasties
01-26-2011, 11:19 PM
Lots of wacky comments to be had re this phenomenon, so let's get it started here in case the old thread doesn't migrate.

I seem to be frustrating many high school/college/other acquaintances by STILL not being on Facebook (I'm in the public eye and on Twitter, so it's not like I'm hiding. Sorry I don't post what I had for breakfast on Facebook!).

I'm also on LinkedIn.
Got a "would like to add you to my professional network" request today.

From an old girlfriend - I dated her from 1986-90.
Haven't heard from her in 20 years.

A LinkedIn request?
Really?

You HAVE to get on Facebook ;)

Judge Jude
01-26-2011, 11:39 PM
But I'm told that if you've waited this long and had any kind of a social history, you'll be bombarded beyond belief with "friend" requests.

I dunno; seems kind of fun to refuse to conform.

I'm Irish - we have a history of this....

SeaDogStat
01-27-2011, 12:06 AM
But I'm told that if you've waited this long and had any kind of a social history, you'll be bombarded beyond belief with "friend" requests.

I dunno; seems kind of fun to refuse to conform.

I'm Irish - we have a history of this....

Really? Bombarded? You seem kinda curmudgeonly on here..."sporadic" might be more apropos

I keed, I keed, JJ :D

Kevin Seitzer
01-27-2011, 12:13 AM
A LinkedIn request?
Really?

I'd refuse it. With Facebook I tend to accept requests if I know the person (though I don't do much on Facebook, so it's fairly irrelevant to me), but on LinkedIn, I only accept requests from people who I've had some sort of professional relationship with or would like to have a professional relationship (same industry, etc.). I view it as something between exchanging business cards and exchanging resumes.

Kevin Seitzer
01-27-2011, 12:26 AM
Perhaps I should clarify a bit. I have no problem casting a wide net of contacts on LinkedIn or accepting requests from others who are doing the same. But it's about professional networking, people who might want job leads from me in the future or to whom I may want to turn for job leads and the like. That can include friends, but it's not really about being a place to maintain personal friendships at all, in my mind.

Judge Jude
01-27-2011, 01:23 AM
Well, I agree in spirit - I have about 160+ out of 175 LinkedIn contacts as pure professional colleagues.

But I have nothing against this woman, who I obviously spent a lot of time with back in the day.

And as noted, I'm not on Facebook.

I'll lean toward accepting, with a polite note wishing her well or whatever. One stray person out of 175 is not going to make a difference.

I have nothing against any of my exes, or vice versa from what I can see...

Fresno Bob
01-27-2011, 01:25 PM
I'm not on facebook, but am on LinkedIn, and basically my policy is that if I wouldn't recommend you/give you a good reference, I won't link to you. This policy gets some people bent out of shape, particularly if they are a former boss of mine.

Kevin Seitzer
01-27-2011, 04:52 PM
I'm not on facebook, but am on LinkedIn, and basically my policy is that if I wouldn't recommend you/give you a good reference, I won't link to you. This policy gets some people bent out of shape, particularly if they are a former boss of mine.

That's the policy I wish I had adhered to. Not doing so has resulted in some requests for references from some people I wouldn't be able to give a good reference for.

BuckyBuckner
02-16-2011, 09:26 PM
Not sure where to put this, so this will do since I saw it on facebook. I thought this was cool and funny. This was a Jimmy Eat World post from about an hour ago:

Calling all Cleveland fans: 2 tix for tonights show at HOB ticket window under the name "Bernie Kosar." First come, first serve.

I got a kick out of the Bernie Kosar reference.

revo
08-01-2011, 11:01 PM
methinks Heyelander got himself fully, 100% hacked on Facebook!

SeaDogStat
08-02-2011, 11:48 AM

He is a HUGE "When Harry Met Sally" fan!

Judge Jude
08-07-2011, 05:05 PM
http://www.latimes.com/health/boostershots/la-heb-facebook-teens-20110806,0,7575848.story?track=rss&dlvrit=104530

"Among users of all ages, the more people used Facebook, the more likely they were to have antisocial personality disorder, paranoia, anxiety and alcohol use."

.. nah, too easy.

;)

overkill94
08-07-2011, 05:35 PM
I accept requests on LinkedIn when I receive them, but otherwise I've never used the site. Maybe it'll be helpful if I need to look for a job, but otherwise it's pretty irrelevant to me.

Facebook, on the other hand, has been a great way to reconnect with old friends and flames. My 4th grade crush friend requested me a few months ago and now we're going to meet up when I'm in town next weekend.

heyelander
08-07-2011, 05:54 PM

she was sitting right next to me when she did it, and she was cute, so I was pretty okay with it.

billbuckner
09-04-2011, 10:36 PM
While I'm pretty low key on facebook I've noticed that Moonlight J has a real knack for inciting flame wars. It's like we're alter egos or something.

Long John
09-05-2011, 08:49 AM
I'm on Twitter for professional reasons, but I'm not on Facebook or LinkedIn. I'm pretty low key on Twitter. Both my sisters and my father are on FB, but I'm not. It's pretty hysterical to me because I get the, "I posted it on Facebook, so you should know" excuse (not from my father, of course). Honestly, I just don't have the time to go on some random website and post personal information and communicate with other people about various topics... nevermind.

Stephen
09-05-2011, 11:00 AM
I've been on Facebook for ages, but I'm just about ready to cancel my account. It's usually distant relative that I have nothing in common with spouting off religious or political views that I don't really agree with or people from HS that I didn't like that much back then.

Moonlight J
09-05-2011, 12:31 PM
While I'm pretty low key on facebook I've noticed that Moonlight J has a real knack for inciting flame wars. It's like we're alter egos or something.

I have very opinionated friends :)