Facebook thread, circa 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Facebook thread, circa 2011

Lots of wacky comments to be had re this phenomenon, so let's get it started here in case the old thread doesn't migrate.

I seem to be frustrating many high school/college/other acquaintances by STILL not being on Facebook (I'm in the public eye and on Twitter, so it's not like I'm hiding. Sorry I don't post what I had for breakfast on Facebook!).

I'm also on LinkedIn.
    Got a "would like to add you to my professional network" request today.

From an old girlfriend - I dated her from 1986-90.
    Haven't heard from her in 20 years.

A LinkedIn request?
    Really?

What would you do with this one?
    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
    Lots of wacky comments to be had re this phenomenon, so let's get it started here in case the old thread doesn't migrate.

I seem to be frustrating many high school/college/other acquaintances by STILL not being on Facebook (I'm in the public eye and on Twitter, so it's not like I'm hiding. Sorry I don't post what I had for breakfast on Facebook!).

I'm also on LinkedIn.
    Got a "would like to add you to my professional network" request today.

From an old girlfriend - I dated her from 1986-90.
    Haven't heard from her in 20 years.

A LinkedIn request?
    Really?

You HAVE to get on Facebook
    Find that level above your head and help you reach it.

Comment

But I'm told that if you've waited this long and had any kind of a social history, you'll be bombarded beyond belief with "friend" requests.

I dunno; seems kind of fun to refuse to conform.

I'm Irish - we have a history of this....

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

But I'm told that if you've waited this long and had any kind of a social history, you'll be bombarded beyond belief with "friend" requests.

I dunno; seems kind of fun to refuse to conform.

I'm Irish - we have a history of this....
        Really? Bombarded? You seem kinda curmudgeonly on here..."sporadic" might be more apropos

I keed, I keed, JJ
        I always liked Alfonseca and he is twice the pitcher Hall of Famer Mordecai Brown was - cavebird 12-8-05
        You'd be surprised on how much 16 months in a federal pen can motivate you - gashousegang 7-31-06
        "...That said, the hippo will always be the gold standard here" - Heyelander's VD XII avatar analysis of SeaDogStat 1-29-07
        It's surprising that attempts to coordinate large groups of socially retarded people would end in this kind of chaos. - Cobain's Ghost 12-19-07

Comment

A LinkedIn request?
          Really?

I'd refuse it. With Facebook I tend to accept requests if I know the person (though I don't do much on Facebook, so it's fairly irrelevant to me), but on LinkedIn, I only accept requests from people who I've had some sort of professional relationship with or would like to have a professional relationship (same industry, etc.). I view it as something between exchanging business cards and exchanging resumes.
          "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Perhaps I should clarify a bit. I have no problem casting a wide net of contacts on LinkedIn or accepting requests from others who are doing the same. But it's about professional networking, people who might want job leads from me in the future or to whom I may want to turn for job leads and the like. That can include friends, but it's not really about being a place to maintain personal friendships at all, in my mind.
            "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Well, I agree in spirit - I have about 160+ out of 175 LinkedIn contacts as pure professional colleagues.

But I have nothing against this woman, who I obviously spent a lot of time with back in the day.

And as noted, I'm not on Facebook.

I'll lean toward accepting, with a polite note wishing her well or whatever. One stray person out of 175 is not going to make a difference.

I have nothing against any of my exes, or vice versa from what I can see...

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

I'm not on facebook, but am on LinkedIn, and basically my policy is that if I wouldn't recommend you/give you a good reference, I won't link to you. This policy gets some people bent out of shape, particularly if they are a former boss of mine.
                "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                  I'm not on facebook, but am on LinkedIn, and basically my policy is that if I wouldn't recommend you/give you a good reference, I won't link to you. This policy gets some people bent out of shape, particularly if they are a former boss of mine.
                  That's the policy I wish I had adhered to. Not doing so has resulted in some requests for references from some people I wouldn't be able to give a good reference for.

Comment

Not sure where to put this, so this will do since I saw it on facebook. I thought this was cool and funny. This was a Jimmy Eat World post from about an hour ago:

Calling all Cleveland fans: 2 tix for tonights show at HOB ticket window under the name "Bernie Kosar." First come, first serve.

I got a kick out of the Bernie Kosar reference.
                    I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

methinks Heyelander got himself fully, 100% hacked on Facebook!

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                        He is a HUGE "When Harry Met Sally" fan!
                        I always liked Alfonseca and he is twice the pitcher Hall of Famer Mordecai Brown was - cavebird 12-8-05
                        You'd be surprised on how much 16 months in a federal pen can motivate you - gashousegang 7-31-06
                        "...That said, the hippo will always be the gold standard here" - Heyelander's VD XII avatar analysis of SeaDogStat 1-29-07
                        It's surprising that attempts to coordinate large groups of socially retarded people would end in this kind of chaos. - Cobain's Ghost 12-19-07

Comment

"Among users of all ages, the more people used Facebook, the more likely they were to have antisocial personality disorder, paranoia, anxiety and alcohol use."

.. nah, too easy.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

I accept requests on LinkedIn when I receive them, but otherwise I've never used the site. Maybe it'll be helpful if I need to look for a job, but otherwise it's pretty irrelevant to me.

Facebook, on the other hand, has been a great way to reconnect with old friends and flames. My 4th grade crush friend requested me a few months ago and now we're going to meet up when I'm in town next weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                              she was sitting right next to me when she did it, and she was cute, so I was pretty okay with it.
                              Last edited by heyelander; 08-09-2011, 12:43 PM.
                              I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Working...
                              X