Japan: Massive Tsunami

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Japan: Massive Tsunami

At least 350 people are dead and hundreds missing after a tsunami caused by a huge 8.9-magnitude quake devastated north-east Japan.

Watch the video at the link. Seriously.

J
    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Some of the Tsunami shots really brought the 2004 Tsunami into perspective. This was a 7 metre wave that cut through the land ... Indonesia was hit with a 23 metre wave in places in 2004. Horrific.

Death toll says 90 right now ... no way that is close to correct judging by some of the Tsunami footage.
    Last edited by johnnya24; 03-11-2011, 08:48 AM.

Comment

Comment

wow. Some of the pics/videos are crazy. I lived in Japan for about 5 months in '87 (but in the southern portion of the country -- Kobe area) and what the reports are saying about death toll being lower because they are so prepared I can believe. While I was there we had 2 earthquakes. Both small. I damn-near flipped my sh!t. We don't get many earthquakes in Indiana. But the family I was staying with just calmly went about their business of what to do while I was pissing myself as I watched my dresser move 6' across the floor and fall over. After the fact they got a laugh at my shaking expense. The huge quake that hit Japan circa 1993-94 that devestated portions of Kobe, Nishinomia, Takarazuka City had its epicenter mere miles from where I stayed.

My best thoughts and wishes to the people in Japan and to anyone who may have family or friends over there. The live reports are not getting much better from what I've seen with large parts of Sendai City in flames and reports of entire smaller villages being washed away. And an entire passenger train MISSING.
        -----Manager of the unstoppable Rome Aerozombies of the Ugly Knuckler League-----

There are people who appear to single-handedly pull the rug out from under 300,000,000 years of evolution.

"necessary evil" is redundant.

It takes at least 12 bowls of cock soup to equal the vitamin and nutritional content of just one actual cock. --- B-Fly

NR's the right kind of sinner, to release my inner fantasies. --- Pat Benatar

Comment

yeah, some of the pics I've seen look like they could be from Battle for LA ... my boss was supposed to fly to Tokyo this morning - don't think so.
          It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

the pics are unbelievable -- an entire boat is also missing that had 100 people on it

Comment

BBC just reported that a major dam has now burst in northern Japan and that cooldown has failed at one nuclear plant.

edit: backup safety measures at the nuclear plant apparently have been effective.
              Last edited by NakedRicci; 03-11-2011, 10:50 AM.
              -----Manager of the unstoppable Rome Aerozombies of the Ugly Knuckler League-----

There are people who appear to single-handedly pull the rug out from under 300,000,000 years of evolution.

It takes at least 12 bowls of cock soup to equal the vitamin and nutritional content of just one actual cock. --- B-Fly

Comment

A team of guys that I work with were to fly out to Japan today to install a new system that I worked on. Guess they are getting delayed now unless Myoto is still open.
                Bob- I'm not exactly sure it would ROCK as you say it Byron.. it may be cool, by typical text book descriptions. Your opinion of this is shallow and poorly constructed, but allow me to re-craft your initial thought into something tangable.

Comment

Reports that they found 200-300 bodies further up the coast.

Horrible.

Footage is horrific but incredible.

My friends are safe, got word from them this morning.

Comment

they are now reporting over 300 dead and over 500 missing. but it's still the middle of the night there, so until daylight comes, these numbers are just the tip.

Comment

Okay, I have to say this once only.... No offense intended to christian members of the Pen, but I've gone through a number of YouTube videos looking for amature videos. The sheer number of people posting things like "This is God's judgment" and "Just another example of God giving people what they deserve." WTF?!?! really? Take your hateful asses, pick up those Westboro nutjobs and get the f*ck off the planet. You are taking up valuable space and breathing oxygen that would be better used by someone else. gah...

Comment

A second passenger train now unaccounted for, that's 2 trains and a boat. Hundreds of people missing just there.

Comment

And the nuclear plant is back in trouble, with pressure rising inside the reactor and cooling efforts at a critical juncture.
                          "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

Saw on Twitter they are having to release air from the reactor to keep it from overheating ... that doesn't sound like "under control" to me.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                              Saw on Twitter they are having to release air from the reactor to keep it from overheating ... that doesn't sound like "under control" to me.

Ya, I just saw that too. :/

Comment

Working...
                              X