Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is LeBron playing at a higher level right now than anyone in NBA history?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is LeBron playing at a higher level right now than anyone in NBA history?

I'm not asking if he's the greatest of all-time. It's too early in his career and he only owns one championship ring. But in terms of overall performance across all facets of the game of basketball: scoring, scoring efficiency, distributing, rebounding, perimeter defense, transition defense, interior defense, leadership, "clutchness" and whatever else you might want to add - I'm not sure the world has ever seen anyone play a higher level of basketball across the board than what LeBron has been bringing on pretty much a nightly basis since Christmas 2011.

Over the last 6 games he's been definitely been playing at a higher level than any other 6 game stretch in basketball history.

Still - with the game on the line in a big time situation I'm still not comfortable with the ball in his hands. I'd rather see Wade take that shot. I never felt that way with Jordan/Pippen.

Comment

Yup, I believe that he's the 1st person in NBA history to get 30 points and shoot over 60% in 6 games in a row. Doesn't sound all that hard. but it's a pretty incredible feat.

He's playing at a level others can't even dram of, and he's really just entering the prime years of his career. If he stays healthy, he can do this for at least 5 more years before he starts to decline. I recall debating his inclusion in the top ten of all time last year, and many wouldn't admit that, simply because he hadn't won a title. Well, he's done that, and managed to raise his game even further than most anyone thought possible. About all he has left to do is to improve his free throw shooting, and that isn't even that bad.
      "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
      - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
      -Warren Ellis

Comment

Has he reached Gretzky levels in terms of fantasy sports? Where the team that has him has such an unfair advantage that he really shouldn't be in the league?

Hockey pools used to draft 1-10, 10-1, 10-1 just because of Wayne-O.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
          Has he reached Gretzky levels in terms of fantasy sports? Where the team that has him has such an unfair advantage that he really shouldn't be in the league?
          No, because of KD. James is much better defensively and at overall game management, but that doesn't really reflect in fantasy.

Comment

I love these non-basketball comparisons.
            With six consecutive basketball games in which he has scored at least 30 points and shot 60 percent or higher, LeBron James is on a great roll for any field.

Comment

I saw on ESPN that LBJ isn't even leading the league in Win Shares. I have no idea how useful of a metric that is in basketball, but unless it is completely useless, it would weigh heavily against the affirmative.

ETA: Durant is 1 full W ahead of him.
              Last edited by DMT; 02-14-2013, 11:56 AM.
              If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
              - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                Yup, I believe that he's the 1st person in NBA history to get 30 points and shoot over 60% in 6 games in a row. Doesn't sound all that hard. but it's a pretty incredible feat.

He's playing at a level others can't even dram of, and he's really just entering the prime years of his career. If he stays healthy, he can do this for at least 5 more years before he starts to decline. I recall debating his inclusion in the top ten of all time last year, and many wouldn't admit that, simply because he hadn't won a title. Well, he's done that, and managed to raise his game even further than most anyone thought possible. About all he has left to do is to improve his free throw shooting, and that isn't even that bad.
                I was one of those arguing against his inclusion but I would have a harder time making that same argument now.
                If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Streak broken...the bum could only shoot 58% while scoring 39, getting 12 rebounds, and 7 assists. Time to hang it up...

-Warren Ellis

Comment

LeBron is on a remarkable roll, and it would be hard to argue against any superlatives.

He did choke in some big spots earlier in his career, and obviously his ridiculous slap in the face of Cleveland fans is well-documented.

But he also raised his game the most in last season's playoffs when the Heat needed it most, and they won. And now he's playing better than ever.

I think he answered enough questions last year that he should have shaken the demons, so I would hesitate to bet against him in this postseason. He also now knows what it takes physically to peak in June, which is underrated. Carmelo Anthony is a great player, but he has NO idea. You have to live it. Hell, even just doing the travel and reporting it gives one some perspective on it.

It's a LONG season.......

P.S. If LeBron killed in the playoffs but lost to an even fiercer and hungrier Durant, that would not be a reason to knock LeBron in that scenario. It doesn't have to be a zero sum game.
                    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                      LeBron is on a remarkable roll, and it would be hard to argue against any superlatives.

He did choke in some big spots earlier in his career, and obviously his ridiculous slap in the face of Cleveland fans is well-documented.

But he also raised his game the most in last season's playoffs when the Heat needed it most, and they won. And now he's playing better than ever.

I think he answered enough questions last year that he should have shaken the demons, so I would hesitate to bet against him in this postseason. He also now knows what it takes physically to peak in June, which is underrated. Carmelo Anthony is a great player, but he has NO idea. You have to live it. Hell, even just doing the travel and reporting it gives one some perspective on it.

It's a LONG season.......

P.S. If LeBron killed in the playoffs but lost to an even fiercer and hungrier Durant, that would not be a reason to knock LeBron in that scenario. It doesn't have to be a zero sum game.
                      I thought that could happen and it very well could. But one-on-one 'Bron just beats up KD physically. His size, weight, athleticism is just a wonder to behold. When watching him I often wonder how he and I belong to the same species.

Comment

Pretty much cements his status as an all time top 10 player with his 2nd title and 2nd playoff MVP trophy in a row. And he's playing with a supporting cast that's become the big one and a half, and a bunch of spare parts.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                          Pretty much cements his status as an all time top 10 player with his 2nd title and 2nd playoff MVP trophy in a row. And he's playing with a supporting cast that's become the big one and a half, and a bunch of spare parts.
                          Besides carrying a major load of scoring, rebounding, and passing, defensively he's shut down the opponent's key player in the last two series - and that's a 6-9 forward in Paul George and a 6-1 Point Guard in Tony Parker. Not many players have had to do so much.

Comment

Jordan > LeBron

Comment

Originally posted by Roto Rooter View Post
                              Jordan > LeBron
                              He's a much better flopper than Jordan ever was.
                              I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Working...
                              X