Separation of Police and Military

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Separation of Police and Military

Yesterday the Irish departments of justice and defense were put under the control of a single government minister.

This doesn't sit easily with me as it means that both the Gardai (our police force) and our army (2 men and a dog, admittedly) are now under one man.

Am I being nit-picky?

No, that's a bad combination of powers, even in a country where the military isn't particularly relevant. What was the thinking-- put all the guys with guns under one bureaucracy?
    "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

It's essentially a downgrading of the Dept of Defense, which is fair enough, and an upgrading of some of our other ministries (for example, our Department for Children is now a full ministry). Don't have a problem with that aspect.

The Justice and Defense ministries will be kept separate but it looks like a potential problem waiting to happen some time in the future. There's nothing that says that Ireland will remain a relatively civilised, peaceful society from now to eternity. Losing the traditional separation between our police and military forces could serve to remove the balance which could be required at some as yet unknown sticky point in the nation's future.

I don't like it at all.

Comment

Originally posted by amcg View Post
        Yesterday the Irish departments of justice and defense were put under the control of a single government minister.

This doesn't sit easily with me as it means that both the Gardai (our police force) and our army (2 men and a dog, admittedly) are now under one man.

Am I being nit-picky?
        I don't think I can give a good answer until you tell me the breed of the dog.

Comment

Originally posted by Midnight Otter View Post
          Nicely played.

Comment

If it's an Irish Setter, they might be in more trouble than they know.

Comment

What's the ministry that cleans the piss off the floor?
              If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
              Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

They just retired their Labradoodle McRambo and brought in O'Conan, the world's fiercest Cockapoo.

"There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

Originally posted by Catfishkid View Post
                  If it's an Irish Setter, they might be in more trouble than they know.
                  Nice.
                  "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                  "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                  "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

Right, you're all barred.

Except BK. He can stay. If he behaves. And doesn't touch the soju.

Comment

Originally posted by amcg View Post
                      Right, you're all barred.

Except BK. He can stay. If he behaves. And doesn't touch the soju.
                      Oh, we all know your barred is worse than your bite.

Comment

Working...
                      X