No announcement yet.

Are there any Music Technology Junkies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are there any Music Technology Junkies?

So, my middle daughter (now 17 and a junior in high school) is leaning towards a college degree in Music Technology.

I'm not a big fan of getting degrees because they're "fun"....but then you never get a job in that field because the field is extremely difficult to get into....yadda, yadda....

Yeah, I'm a Dad....can you tell?

So, I thought I should come to the most knowledgable people in the world....the Junkies!

So, are there any Junkies out there or have friends who are in the Music Technolgy world? Are there jobs available out there? Is it a tough field to get into if you don't know someone? Should she look for schools in places like Nashville, NYC, etc. where there's a better chance to find a job?

My daughter is looking at Belmont University in Nashville as a possible school.

Any ideas or guidance from real-life situations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Gris

Gris,

I have no insight directly, but I want to say this: My older daughter majored in Journalism. I wasn't enthused about it, but I decided to let her make her own course. She now has a job only tangentially connected to journalism, but she is very happy with her current job working in Public Relations for a non-profit organization.

Comment

Gris,

I think a guy can help your daughter. His name in Brent Handy and he frequents the boards on http://www.thepetrazone.net. Yes that is the old Christian Rock group Petra's web board some fans set up. His username is uniquely - brent. He is and has been involved in the music industry for years. He should be able to help your daughter out. You can also reach him at his website http://www.projectdamagecontrol.com. I do not know him personally though.
      Bob- I'm not exactly sure it would ROCK as you say it Byron.. it may be cool, by typical text book descriptions. Your opinion of this is shallow and poorly constructed, but allow me to re-craft your initial thought into something tangable.

Comment

Originally posted by Midnight Otter View Post
        Gris,

I have no insight directly, but I want to say this: My older daughter majored in Journalism. I wasn't enthused about it, but I decided to let her make her own course. She now has a job only tangentially connected to journalism, but she is very happy with her current job working in Public Relations for a non-profit organization.
        MO,

I hear ya brotha....like I said, I don't want to "kill" my kid's dreams by any stretch....that's why I'm asking around here first.

Comment

Originally posted by Piney Boy View Post
          Gris,

I think a guy can help your daughter. His name in Brent Handy and he frequents the boards on http://www.thepetrazone.net. Yes that is the old Christian Rock group Petra's web board some fans set up. His username is uniquely - brent. He is and has been involved in the music industry for years. He should be able to help your daughter out. You can also reach him at his website http://www.projectdamagecontrol.com. I do not know him personally though.
          Thanks PB!

I appreciate this. I was hoping to catch someone on here first and then if no one on here has a close connection, then possibly reaching out to the internet community.

This guy sounds like a good guy to reach out to.

Thanks again!

Comment

Has she looked at Berklee College of Music in Boston?
            I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
              I'm really not 100% sure what "music technology" means, but I have a bunch of friends in the music business. I know people that do everything from owning clubs and arranging acts, doing sound, doing lights, mixing, studio recording, just about everything.

This is all in lil ol' Albuquerque, mind you.
              The music technology as I understand it, is the mixing, studio recording, etc. stuff.

Any insight as to their actual profession, salary ranges, etc. would be helpful.

Thanks ELD!

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                Actually, I think she has...but I thought it was HORRIBLY expensive....as compared to someplace like the Belmont college in Nashville.

Comment

Originally posted by griswold View Post
                  Actually, I think she has...but I thought it was HORRIBLY expensive....as compared to someplace like the Belmont college in Nashville.
                  I'm not surprised that it's expensive. Even if it weren't Boston is not a cheap city to live in.
                  I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by griswold View Post
                    The music technology as I understand it, is the mixing, studio recording, etc. stuff.
                    Is that the area she wants to get into, or is it the making of music using technology? That is, is she actually a musician, or someone who just wants to get into the production/studio side? Because I think many "Music Technology" programs, such as the one at Belmont, are geared toward musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by OaklandA's View Post
                      Is that the area she wants to get into, or is it the making of music using technology? That is, is she actually a musician, or someone who just wants to get into the production/studio side? Because I think many "Music Technology" programs, such as the one at Belmont, are geared toward musicians.
                      Well, she's a pretty talented piano player for her age....not great...but very good. I think it's a combination but leaning towards the mixing, production stuff...not necessarily around her music but others.

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                        my neighbors son graduated there 2 years ago & is a shift manager at McD's right now

good kid , real talented & great school

Comment

You can do very well for yourself in music production. Actually, I would say that it's a pretty bankable profession. A good friend of mine is going into school for music production, after he realized how much money his producer was making.

As ElD was mentioning, it's also great in that there are a ton of different paths one can take within music production. I have another friend that does sound design on all of the Canucks games, the news, as well as some freelance work. On those two jobs alone, which account for much less than full-time work (20-30 hours/week) I would guess that he takes in $40-$50k per year. He's 27.

Don't sweat it, Gris. Trust in her and she'll surely succeed, as my friends in the field have.
                          Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Thanks guys, I appreciate the support.

Comment

Working...
                            X