Prescott Az?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prescott Az?

Mrs. Grinch and I are approaching retirement and are looking for a good location. We want 3 seasons and as she has family in southern California, Az seems logical. Anyone know if this area? Figure in about 4 years. We may go take a look sometime this summer.
    Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!

Originally posted by Grinch View Post
    Mrs. Grinch and I are approaching retirement and are looking for a good location. We want 3 seasons and as she has family in southern California, Az seems logical. Anyone know if this area? Figure in about 4 years. We may go take a look sometime this summer.
    I don't want to alarm you, but eldiablo505 lives in AZ...just sayin'...tho it is a big state...
    I always liked Alfonseca and he is twice the pitcher Hall of Famer Mordecai Brown was - cavebird 12-8-05
    You'd be surprised on how much 16 months in a federal pen can motivate you - gashousegang 7-31-06
    "...That said, the hippo will always be the gold standard here" - Heyelander's VD XII avatar analysis of SeaDogStat 1-29-07
    It's surprising that attempts to coordinate large groups of socially retarded people would end in this kind of chaos. - Cobain's Ghost 12-19-07

Comment

Originally posted by SeaDogStat View Post
      I don't want to alarm you, but eldiablo505 lives in AZ...just sayin'...tho it is a big state...
      I'm pretty sure that Arizona and New Mexico have been separate entities for almost a hundred years now. You and Ike may remember when they were one territory, but the rest of us have grown up with them as two separate states.

"Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
        I'm pretty sure that Arizona and New Mexico have been separate entities for almost a hundred years now.

Aw, damn...all those square states look alike...

You got the all clear from KS, Grinch... :thumbsup:
        I always liked Alfonseca and he is twice the pitcher Hall of Famer Mordecai Brown was - cavebird 12-8-05
        You'd be surprised on how much 16 months in a federal pen can motivate you - gashousegang 7-31-06
        "...That said, the hippo will always be the gold standard here" - Heyelander's VD XII avatar analysis of SeaDogStat 1-29-07
        It's surprising that attempts to coordinate large groups of socially retarded people would end in this kind of chaos. - Cobain's Ghost 12-19-07

Comment

I love the Arizona mountains. Just incredibly beautiful. I've driven through Prescott on Highway 89, but I can't say I remember much about it.

One plus is you're within a couple hours from Cactus League games.
          "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Prescott is in the mountains. I don't think it has brutal heat when it's at an elevation of 5000 feet. It's an hour or two north of Phoenix. Heck, for all we know here in the bullpen, it may be in New Mexico.

Comment

Just make sure you pronounce it correctly, PRESkit.

I've only visited a couple times but it seems like a nice small town, and in a great location. The summers will still be hot but not as oppressive as Phoenix which is 1 1/2 hours south. Flagstaff is about 1 1/2 hours north and beyond that is the Grand Canyon and southern Utah, some of the prettiest scenery on earth.
              If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
              - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

We want dry, but not excessive heat. A private home in a community in the $200-250 K range with reasonable living costs. We're young enough to enjoy life (I'll be 55 when I retire) and will likely still work part-time. As long as there is something for her to do when I go golfing (it has to be far enough from Fresno Bob!!!) we should be OK.

Comment

We want dry, but not excessive heat. A private home in a community in the $200-250 K range with reasonable living costs. We're young enough to enjoy life (I'll be 55 when I retire) and will likely still work part-time. As long as there is something for her to do when I go golfing (it has to be far enough from Fresno Bob!!!) we should be OK.
                  I've friends who have a place in Prescott. They're not too happy with the city (originally from San Diego and Coeur d'Alene also) but that's one family's experience. I have another set of freinds who just bought their snow bird house in Tuscon and love it. My personal favorite place in that area is Sedona-- if you have the time, check it out-- I believe it'd have just what you're looking for.
                  If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                    I've friends who have a place in Prescott. They're not too happy with the city (originally from San Diego and Coeur d'Alene also) but that's one family's experience. I have another set of freinds who just bought their snow bird house in Tuscon and love it. My personal favorite place in that area is Sedona-- if you have the time, check it out-- I believe it'd have just what you're looking for.
                    What specifically are the problems they had? Tuscon would be too hot unless I had elsewhere to escape. Have looked (online) at Sedona--seems a bit pricey.

Comment

What specifically are the problems they had? Tuscon would be too hot unless I had elsewhere to escape. Have looked (online) at Sedona--seems a bit pricey.
                      Sedona is quite pricey. The nice thing about Tucson is it is surrounded by mountains, so it is easy to escape the heat in the summer. If it's 105 in town, it's 75 on Mt Lemmon.
                      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                      - Terence McKenna

Comment

they said they were treated like intruders by the locals, property values dropped right after they bought so that might have something to do with it too.
                        If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                        Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

I really like Flagstaff. I've spent all of three or four days there, so take that for what it's worth. I have cousins that live in Flagstaff.

It's a little higher in elevation and would have more of a winter than Prescott and less of a summer. It's about the same size as Prescott + Prescott Valley, but with being on I-40, rather than tucked away in the mountains, it doesn't seem quite as isolated. That has good points and bad points, I guess, but it might help with some of what GiTH is mentioning about his friends feeling like they were treated as intruders. It's not too far from there to Sedona or the Grand Canyon, but it's farther to a sizable city like Phoenix. Drive-time wise it's probably not any farther to destinations in Southern California than Prescott.

Comment

Flag is a very hip town, but it is much cooler than Prescott, and the winters are quite cold. It's also quite expensive, 2nd in the state only to Scottsdale in property values (last time I checked).
                            - Terence McKenna

Comment

Flagstaff also has some serious, serious water issues. Beautiful area, real four seasons, and pricey. Of course, Prescott used to be very pricey, too, but I think they've been hit very hard and property values are pretty reasonable right now. If you're into flying, you can get pretty cheap lessons at Embry Riddle university in Prescott.
                              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Working...
                              X