X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PA Schools Get Whacked Too

Link to Berks County School Article

At first glance it didn't look too bad.

But as local educators dug deeper into the proposed budget Gov. Tom Corbett unveiled Tuesday, the news grew bleaker.

While basic education funding, the largest source of state dollars for local school districts, took a smaller hit than expected, entire other funding streams were eliminated.

The $47.6 million that last year went to the Pennsylvania Education Assistance Program, which provides tutors for struggling students, was cut.

More than $224 million in reimbursements paid to public school districts for charter school tuitions was eliminated.

And more than $259 million for Accountability Block Grants - which can pay for things such as full-day kindergarten or staff salaries - was completely axed.

"It's not good," said John L. Steffy, Reading School District business manager. "No accountability block grant, no charter school reimbursement, and we're down to $110 million - we're looking at quite a funding deficit."

Including the charter school, tutoring and block grant cuts, the proposed budget would cut Reading's funding by more than 14 percent to about $110.7 million.

Last year more than $121 million of Reading's $224 million budget was from basic education funding.

Steffy said the slashes in funding will result in some substantial cuts for the district, especially since costs continue to rise.

"We're looking at over $12 million due in increases in just salaries and benefits," he said.

Corbett is an ass and I can't believe that Onorato was really the best the Dems could come up with to beat him. (Now I actually sort of like Onorato, but he's kind of reviled even among the people that should like him - Pittsburgh dems - which isn't a good sign.)

I know the state is in a horrible mess but he is making his budget completely based on his own agenda and not reality. Refusing to tax Marcellus Shale is just asinine. PA is the only state that doesn't do it, and it would basically cover the most critical areas that were cut in this year's budget.

He screwed around with approving the film industry tax credits for so long that all the movies planning to come here bailed, and then stuck the tax credit in the budget anyway. So now he can say next year "look, nobody used it" and then cut it, even though it was one of the few useful things that PA did to raise revenue.

Comment

If you look really closely to most of the proposed budget cuts in most states, they take that money saves and flip it for tax cuts for businesses, so it's really not helping balance any budget.
      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

I woke up this morning and my ass didn't feel so good. Gov. Corbett was not gentle.

I already commented in the union thread about my feelings. It just raises my blood pressure so for now I am going to try to stay away from the topic for a while, but needless to say I am not a fan.

Comment

It will be interesting how this shakes out, but I could see some Districts closing some doors of schools.

Comment

Working...
          X