This day in history (March 6, 2011).....Griswold meets Shandler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This day in history (March 6, 2011).....Griswold meets Shandler

I won't go into the history of Griswold vs. Shandler, but most of the Junkies know the story.

However, today I went to the First Pitch in Cleveland and had my first ever face-to-face meeting with Ron Shandler.

The first sentence out of Ron's mouth overwhelmed me with joy.

It went like this:

Gris: Hi, Ron...it's been 9 years since we first met on RotoJunkie. I'm Griswold.

Ron: Oh yeah, Bob Lung, right? Yeah, it's a pleasure to finally meet you. Thanks for coming today.

I was honestly stunned that he remembered my real name immediately after I introduced myself as Griswold from RotoJunkie.

The rest of the conversation was mostly me thanking him for handling that situation extremely well...but most of all for his support of my Quality Game Scores over the past 9 years and his emails to me to tell to not give up on my dreams.

He was extremely nice and wished me the best of luck with everything.

I just wanted to share this with all of you.

Hey, just my humbleness.

Gris

He just made money off you, dork. Of course he is going to be nice.
    After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

He probably read your nametag, too.

Cool story, gris!
      "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
      - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
      - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

Yeah, Ron is a pretty "Zen" guy, I think.

Someone making an offhand critical comment is not necessarily going to set off his buttons (granting that we all have bad days, of course). I was not surprised he handled that 'back in the day' as he did, and glad you were so willing to talk through the situation.
        finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
        own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
        won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
        RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
        C Stallings 2, Casali 1
        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
        OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

I've never met him, but I used to talk to him on the phone every so often back when it was a really small operation, and he always seemed nice.

Most of the guys I have met in connection with fantasy baseball have been nice. Merv with Rotolab is a super guy, and seems nice beyond just wanting your business. I still remember talking to Mike Oliveto from Allstar Stats back in either 1998 or 1999, and he was extremely nice.

I think most people who get in the business end of it start out loving baseball and then loving fantasy baseball. Or at least I think it was that way in the old days. I don't know much about the new crowd, except for Jason, and he's a good guy. And, of course, Byron and Bhob are good guys. (Byron, I'm not going to mention Ric this time.)

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
            He just made money off you, dork. Of course he is going to be nice.
            Yeah I realized the nice part...I was more impressed that he remembered my full name....and there were no name tags.

Comment

Originally posted by griswold View Post
              I won't go into the history of Griswold vs. Shandler, but most of the Junkies know the story.

However, today I went to the First Pitch in Cleveland and had my first ever face-to-face meeting with Ron Shandler.

The first sentence out of Ron's mouth overwhelmed me with joy.

It went like this:

Gris: Hi, Ron...it's been 9 years since we first met on RotoJunkie. I'm Griswold.

Ron: Oh yeah, Bob Lung, right? Yeah, it's a pleasure to finally meet you. Thanks for coming today.

I was honestly stunned that he remembered my real name immediately after I introduced myself as Griswold from RotoJunkie.

The rest of the conversation was mostly me thanking him for handling that situation extremely well...but most of all for his support of my Quality Game Scores over the past 9 years and his emails to me to tell to not give up on my dreams.

He was extremely nice and wished me the best of luck with everything.

I just wanted to share this with all of you.

Hey, just my humbleness.

Gris
              Did you at least get to second base?

Comment

Originally posted by Trautdiggity View Post
                Did you at least get to second base?
                I didn't feel any reason for PDA at that point.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky View Post
                  Most of the guys I have met in connection with fantasy baseball have been nice. Merv with Rotolab is a super guy, and seems nice beyond just wanting your business.
                  I'll second that. Also Greg Ambrosis (sp?), and all the guys at RotoWire.

Originally posted by Lucky View Post
                  I still remember talking to Mike Oliveto from Allstar Stats back in either 1998 or 1999, and he was extremely nice.
                  Wow, All Star Stats sure went down hill fast once he left. I wish he'd start up a new service, but I imagine there is still a non-compete clause in effect.
                  “Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.”
                  -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

It may take awhile to break through the ice with the "experts" but I can tell you to a man they're all awesome guys once you get to know them. My first trip to Tout, Cory Schwartz and Phil Hertz were the only guys I could really converse with but now, it has quickly become like a family reunion when we get together in NYC.

Comment

Originally posted by griswold View Post
                      I didn't feel any reason for PDA at that point.
                      Did you tell him you drafted him in the 2011 RJ Deadpool?

Comment

Yeah, met him at First Pitch NY last year--all the 'experts' were friendly. Spent a fair amount of time talking with Rick Wilton. These guys are us, they just took a different direction---instead of competition, they went for career.
                        Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!

Comment

Originally posted by Midnight Otter View Post
                          Did you tell him you drafted him in the 2011 RJ Deadpool?
                          LOL....he appears to be healthy....not good value there....very low key guy.

Comment

"Wow, All Star Stats sure went down hill fast once he left."

They did, but they're pretty much back to that level now...
                            finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                            own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                            won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                            RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                            C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                            1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                            OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Grinch View Post
                              Yeah, met him at First Pitch NY last year--all the 'experts' were friendly. Spent a fair amount of time talking with Rick Wilton. These guys are us, they just took a different direction---instead of competition, they went for career.
                              Rick was on the DL Ron said yesterday and so Rick wasn't there.

I spoke with Matt Beagle quite a bit.

I learned alot from there as well as helping to support some of ideas and strategies for the PONY draft this weekend.

Comment

Working...
                              X