Potus sotua

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potus sotua

I haven't started a new thread here yet, so why not this.

Last night's State of the Union Address - no discussion of it yet, I'm surprised. I caught some of it - interesting stuff about focusing on investments in energy, esp. clean energy (though I noted that he included "clean coal" in this). Curious to see what this translates into over the next year or two in terms of legislaton brought forward - and how much support there is for it from across the aisle.
    It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

And here I thought the thread title was in Latin.
    "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

In vino veritas...
      “Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.”
      -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Originally posted by Wonderboy View Post
        Lactans est iustus meus ex ingenio praeditos
        Fixed
        I always liked Alfonseca and he is twice the pitcher Hall of Famer Mordecai Brown was - cavebird 12-8-05
        You'd be surprised on how much 16 months in a federal pen can motivate you - gashousegang 7-31-06
        "...That said, the hippo will always be the gold standard here" - Heyelander's VD XII avatar analysis of SeaDogStat 1-29-07
        It's surprising that attempts to coordinate large groups of socially retarded people would end in this kind of chaos. - Cobain's Ghost 12-19-07

Comment

absolvo.
          It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by SeaDogStat View Post
            Fixed
            For the benefit of those here who took a language with practical uses, what does your "fix" mean?
            Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
            -- William James

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post

Last night's State of the Union Address - no discussion of it yet, I'm surprised. I caught some of it - interesting stuff about focusing on investments in energy, esp. clean energy (though I noted that he included "clean coal" in this). Curious to see what this translates into over the next year or two in terms of legislaton brought forward - and how much support there is for it from across the aisle.
              I thought it was a decent balancing act considering the shellacking in the November elections but the steady climb in his approval ratings since. He tried to find the areas for investment where he has any chance of shaking free enough funds from the Republican House to make a positive difference, while offering a few issues on which he can show true work across the aisle, e.g., med-mal reform.

Comment

I haven't seen/read the whole thing yet, but IMO the "clean coal" reference was a sop to the Congresscritters from coal states. This "clean energy" thing gets brought up every so often, and while I think it's a great idea overall, I'm not sure the technologies involved will ever be practical.

Support from across the aisle? Don't count on it. McConnell is a tough old horse trader (from a coal state) but can be persuaded to at least not obstruct (if the price is right); Boehner has zero imagination and no plan except opposition.
                Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                -- William James

Comment

was that last night?? It was bowling night so i missed it. Priorities baby.
                  "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
                    For the benefit of those here who took a language with practical uses, what does your "fix" mean?

Originally posted by Wonderboy View Post
                    Sucking is just one of my fine qualities!

I always liked Alfonseca and he is twice the pitcher Hall of Famer Mordecai Brown was - cavebird 12-8-05
                    You'd be surprised on how much 16 months in a federal pen can motivate you - gashousegang 7-31-06
                    "...That said, the hippo will always be the gold standard here" - Heyelander's VD XII avatar analysis of SeaDogStat 1-29-07
                    It's surprising that attempts to coordinate large groups of socially retarded people would end in this kind of chaos. - Cobain's Ghost 12-19-07

Comment

One of his best political speeches in quite a while, IMO. Paul Ryan did a credible job on the rebuttal as well.

Per energy, as I study biofuels more and more, it's pretty obvious they're a short term bridge or a nice way of reducing some of our ridiculous dependence on foreign oil. If we really want to change our petro-based liquid fuels dependency, there's only two routes: coal or nuclear. Wind, solar, and biofuels are a nice to have, but nowhere remotely close to the necessary energy density that coal and nuclear can deliver.

I doubt he'll have little support from across the aisle unless some of these programs are brought forward in conjunction with major cuts in other programs; I suspect he'll have to give the Tea Party GOP members a sacred cow or three they can slay before there'll be any hint of new programs, no matter how "worthy" they may be.

EDIT TO ADD: After reading this: http://www.theatlantic.com/business/...is-year/70317/
                      I think we need to do major budget slashing, no matter what. $1.5 trillion in debt this year? That's more than any four consecutive years under the Bush administration...ouch.

EDIT2: Best blog comment, referencing CNN coverage of the SOTU: "I’m seeing Eliot Spitzer for the first time as a TV host. It doesn’t seem possible, but I think I find him even creepier on TV than hookers found him in person." - Stephen Green, Vodkapundit.
                      Last edited by chancellor; 01-26-2011, 10:19 PM.
                      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Yes, I just took parts of it in, and was impressed. He's hitting that tone that independents love, I think - the polling on this speech was off-the-charts good.

Ryan wasn't as charismatic, but he did ok too. Felt like the boring guy in the office you need to make sure that the "go for it" stuff that everyone likes has a "reality" factor added in.

I think that if Obama wants to focus his priorities for re-election, as Clinton did, he has a great chance to win in 2012. That won't make a lot of far left and far right people happy, but it seems as if the lame duck session and this speech should make it obvious that the path is there for the taking.

The economy already figures to be at least modestly improved by next year, so that may not be a knockout punch. Just bit the bullet and make some adjustments to "entitlements", and he's good to go.
                        finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                        own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                        won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                        RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                        C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                        OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                          Again, where were these people in the eight years prior to 2008?
                          With all due respect, it really doesn't matter where 'these people' were prior to 2008. The fact is what is going on now is unsustainable and we need to deal with that instead of arguing over why we are where we are. The prescription drug plan was a mistake, the tax cuts were a mistake etc, etc etc. but the continued waste of money and lives in Afghanistan is sad for there seems to be no purpose to it whatsoever other than to not admit going there was a mistake.
                          I'm sorry, but I'll withhold my kudos for President Obama until he follows thru and starts to (quickly) end our occupation there.

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                            The craziest part of all of this was Michelle Bachmann.
                            Well, that's setting the bar low! I'd hate to see anything where Michell Bachmann wasn't the craziest part of it.
                            “Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.”
                            -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

And just to add, it's going to be very tough to balance the budget so long as the USA is coughing up half the military spending in the entire world. So credit where credit is due -- a tip 'o the hat to the tea party for saying that military spending is on the table for discussion.
                              -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Working...
                              X